Phinny - Class Needs for Groups?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Azusis, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Azusis New Member

Hello everyone, long time EQ player looking to get started on Phinny.

I'd like to play as an iksar but I'm completely open to class suggestions. Any advice on what would be the most useful for groups on Phinny right now?

Obviously my choices are:
    Warrior
    Shadowknight
    Monk
    Shaman
    Necromancer

I prefer grouping to anything else and will not be boxing. Thanks for the advice!
  2. Dilf Augur

Of the grouping holy trinity, warrior, SK, or Shaman would be the best. On Phinny though, SKs are way overpopulated, so I don't discourage you playing one, there are just tons of them. But on the bright side, SK gear is really saturated on the market, so you could get awesome stuff for cheap, like an Argent Protector or Shard of Night / Sarnak Battle Shield combo. But I'd personally go with a shaman. Great in groups, and awesome soloers that get better as the expansions come out.
  3. Thorn01 Journeyman

There as as many shaman as there are SKs. Shaman SK and necro are by far the most over played classes on phinny.
  4. Dilf Augur

I respectfully disagree. There are way more enchanters and clerics than shaman.
  5. Nolrog Augur

IMO, ease in getting groups are tanks and healers (specifically clerics). Enchanters also seem to be in high demand, though there do seem to be a fair few of them.

Druids are fairly rare, I think, but don't heal as well as clerics right now or DPS as well as other classes. They will get better later on though.
  6. Ducreux Augur

Enchanters will have a group within 2mins of going LFG. A spot in a raid on the other hand...
  7. Kiani Augur

Druids are not rare in my experience. I was grouped with 3 yesterday... A lot of them seem to be port alts though.

I play at way off peak times, but there always seems to be no tanks. It seems that lots of people have been making clerics and enchanters because they're in demand, but at the time I play, there aren't many of either LFG. But I've had groups that have been complete except for tanks and groups that have had pet tanking.
  8. Kiris Journeyman

Warrior, SK, and Necromancer will roughly spend the same amount LFG.

A monk, if you advertise for pulling (which goes unsaid), will likely find a group slightly faster than a shaman.

It really all kinda comes down to luck sometimes when LFG (besides enchanters). Another way of looking what I wrote above would be "who needs less luck?"

Lastly, if you are the social kind who doesn't mind taking leadership, the warrior or shadow knight would suit you also.
  9. Coppercoz Augur

IMO, don't pick a class just because you think it will be easier to get groups. You'll be spending a lot of time just leveling, so pick a class you'll enjoy. The groups will come if you make a little effort, and there are instanced zones, so plenty of opportunities.

But, if it helps, there's lots of chanters, monks, sk, necro, and shaman that I've seen. What is odd is there's not all that many mages that I've run into. I expected more.
  10. Finley Augur

I think the class makeup of the server will vary over time. So if you're in this for the long haul I would not determine the class you play based on the needs of the server. If you're a skilled and pleasant person I think you could get into any guild with any class.

Sorry this is kind of a bleh answer but I think it needs to be said.