Phinny: Breeze Please!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by The Badger Lord, Dec 1, 2015.

1. The Badger Lord Augur

Heya Everyone! I have not been on the forums in quite some time. I would like to say I was one of the big supporters of getting the TLP forums going. Some of us kept posting forums over the years after Fippy died off in all but name, and we never gave up, and we constantly emailed Terrazas and others who were said to be in charge of giving TLP a "Go". Once it was announced, we came up with Ideas like Accelerated Kunark, etc. Either way it doesn't really matter. My point is I've cared about these servers, and we want to keep improving the experience.

Originally I was against raid instancing, but I have to admit I was wrong. Raid Instancing will be beneficial as most raid targets are perma camped by a tag team of bots anyhow. The instancing and no bot is why Phinny will become the TLP with the healthiest population.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So please consider allowing a few balance tweaks through the early game.
    Breeze Please! Bard Mana song @ 20 please!

I would also like to see a few other changes to classes that need help in classic such as paladins and rogues, however I am doubting this will happen. When mage pets are out dpsing DPS classes like rogues throughout most of the leveling process, something is wrong. This isn't about mage pets though, it's about the other classes. Link to a class balance article.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ns-class-balance-doable-and-essential.219692/

Hopefully we can at least get breeze.

Many people I talked to on Ragefire and Lockjaw opening had the same question about
    enchanters. "Is breeze in the game?" No, because it's "Out of Era"

There are already so many other features left in place that are not part of the classic experience to begin with, such as ADV looting, Origin, Etc. Origin can alter gameplay significantly, as does advanced loot. Breeze is not Altering gameplay, it is merely accelerating what's already there. Experience potions are accelerating gameplay much more than breeze can. Mana Potions are in the game, and give everybody +mana regen, so why should the class that is known for mana regen not be able to provide sooner? Please do not leave out breeze merely for the sake "its out of era".

The large majority of people would have no problem with Breeze in Classic, and most would gratefully accept it. Bard mana song and Enchanters are hardly considered overpowered early game (cough.. mage pets).

There is a reason breeze was added to the game in Kunark, which is because it addressed a balance issue with lower level enchanters.

Small tweaks like this made the game better and more balanced. And if so many other large features that change gameplay significantly are left in, then these much smaller issues that improved gameplay (and have a much smaller impact on affecting the classic idea) can be left in as well without losing the Classic feel.

Another point is: Other classes receive their signature spells and abilities much earlier than enchanters receive (arguably) their signature ability: mana regen. (The other being considered Mezz, possibly charm but other classes have that ability too) Here are some examples

Druid SOW = Level 10; Druid Ports= Level 17+ starting @ self ports
    Shaman buffs= Level 1 and up; Shaman Slow= Level 5; Shaman SOW= Level 9
    Monk Dual Wield= Level 1; Monk Feign Death = Level 17
    Rogue Sneak and Hide = Level 1 and 3; Rogue Backstab = Level 10
    Cleric Resurrect = Level 18
    Magician Pets and Nukes= Level 1 and up
    Necro Lifetap = Level 1; Necro Pet- Level 1; Necro Feign Death= Level 16
    Bard Selo= Level 5; Bard HP Regen= Level 6
    Wizard Port=Level 17+ self ports

Not having Breeze won't destroy enchanters, they will survive. However it would be nice to see some changes that affect balance positively. It would be nice to see some changes that are implemented for the right reasons, rather than leaving features in simply because they are too hard to remove (pet dmg, adv loot, etc).

Please feel free to support the idea "Breeze Please" or add in your own recommendations and ideas for any class. Thanks for your time guys.
    Lanadas and AxanBearClaw like this.
  2. Sheaffer Augur

Could not agree more
  3. snailish Augur

So really you are talking about global retuning of spells (perhaps combat abilities as well). I'm Mr. Casual so my opinion on this is going to surprise some that know me (I'm a "new poster" here because I rarely post on O-Boards, I'm rather busy elsewhere). Anyways:

Daybreak should be tuning the under 75 game pre-TSS content to be Harder... not easier. For the benefit of future progression servers, with minimal negative impact to live servers as they would still have the easy-level TSS chain, hotzones, skinspikes, mercenaries, etc. (and most of the population there is so beyond under 85 content)

Examples of how to tune it harder:
    -damage spells moved back towards original level/range of use for the amount of damage. This might mean using a level 3 nuke for 10 more levels than presently
    -pets... anyone honest about content balance has to admit they are way too strong for the design intent of the pre-PoP content. So reassign their level to be useful but not gamechanging/breaking.
    -prune the spell/ability/AA trees to give far less so soon. SOE put the lions share of the best AA in the game into Luclin (not looking ahead to so many future expansions). Just because they have been unwilling to do this for 15 years (though other games do it habitually with each expac) doesn't mean it can't be done, or shouldn't.
    -change overpowered focus effects (like improved damage II) into more era-appropriate things. Devs in the past said it was too much work to remove focus effects from all the pre PoP era items, that's not what I am saying... change the effect itself so the items are automatically better balanced. Live servers would barely feel this change even if it went into the planar focus items from PoP. This included pet focus.

And so on. Progression servers aren't true classic, it wouldn't ruin the spirit of them making them more of a challenge to play certain classes on, and more challenging overall. Tuning up the current "weak" classes won't make progression more replayable or better... more challenge would.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  4. Marthisdil Augur

no. Phinny should suffer like RF and LJ did.
    Felicite and Nolrog like this.
  5. Zinth Augur

"I suffered, so others have to suffer too" pfftt...

I don't see a reason not to give them breeze, so many other things are left in already, and it will help chanters and make them more useful at lower levels, so I don't see the problem.
  6. Nolrog Augur

Better that people learn how to manage their mana from day one before they start getting regen that they can't live without and spend hours looking for a cast instead of going out and killing some stuff.
    Rhodz likes this.
  7. The Badger Lord Augur

I'd prefer Breeze! They put it in the game during Kunark for a good reason! But on TLP There are not nearly as many people who go back and level as there were during actual Kunark days when hundreds of people were still new to the game.
  8. Tudadar Augur

Was hilarious they crusaded vs breeze and put zephyrs in
  9. Lejaun Augur

Just like RF and LJ suffered from not having gear with focus effects like old EQ? Just because one iteration of EQ had to suffer through something doesn't mean that all future servers should have to as well.
  10. Lejaun Augur

Some things just make sense to me....that includes opening up zones like The Warrens and letting spells like Breeze in from day one.

I guess 84 days from launch we'll have it though.
  11. Grish Augur

Breeze was available on Fippy and Vulak at launch, FWIW.
  12. Tinytinker Augur

No thanks to receiving the chanty spell at launch. I like the challenge of the early game.

I read your thread, BL, on class balance, and think the players on Live would revolt if the devs spent time on your idea. Have you seen how many posts there are in the Vet section complaining about the new expansion and broken things? There are also a lot of TLP players, like myself, who enjoy the classes and game mechanics the way they are and don't want to see stuff tinkered with.
  13. Iyvy Augur

I'm gonna be playing an enchanter, we don't need breeze. Sure it would be nice but Enchanter is supposed to have a roughish start with mana, and enchanters are powerful enough.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

This guy again. You realize that they added innate damage mod AA's to all melee classes right? If you want melee more competitive vs casters, adding mana regen is a curious approach. Particularly when anyone relevant will quickly plow through in the level range these boosts would apply to.
    Couldn't agree more.
  15. Ducreux Augur

Enchanters get: A max level 55 mez at level 2, Charm at 11, and Haste at 15. That's their low level signature spell contribution. Comparing them to shaman, both classes get something new at 26, that being mana regen for the enc and haste for the shaman.

Considering they made a point to removing Breeze for RF/LJ I wouldn't imagine they are likely to undo it.
  16. Batbener Augur

You forgot to mention their actual pet spell line and that they are the only class that can enchant for jewelry. Clearly not having Breeze will make them pert near unplayable.
  17. The Badger Lord Augur

It's not just about breeze, breeze is an example of Quality of Life spells/abilities that could be left in the game and improve the overall balance. As stated, there are many other changes other classes could use that would help them out as well. Pallies and Rogues in my book could use a boost on TLP.

Right now they are adjusting core mechanics such as pet agro, roots, etc. All of these changes were never requested or desired by anybody, and yet they are being implemented. So why is it that every idea that many players have requested are shot down? Certain zones such as Warrens, beastlords and zerks in game for classic, better augments to help melee, etc. are all ideas that make sense and would improve the feel of the game without significantly impacting a classic feel. Yet changing core mechanis (dec 2-4 changes on test) and leaving in gameplay altering non-classic features such as Auto loot, (which I dont even mind) are all cool?
  18. Iyvy Augur

I am maining enchanter. Breeze would be a direct buff to me. Do not buff enchanters. They do not need it. The pet changes were a massive buff to all melees.
  19. Detheb Augur

Except, this board, during RF/LJ primetime, was literally like 60% people complaining that pets needed to be retuned?

Also, beastlords and berserkers being in the game at classic is just an opening for people to cry more. Berserkers would be so over powered(Magic throwing weapons at level 10?), along with snare? These classes were tuned, at lower levels, around the era they were introduced, and are considerably more powerful at lower levels than most classes. Not to mention, most of their quests would be broken and people would cry, alot.(Imagine the dismay of berserkers or beastlords when they couldn't do their epic 1.0 during Kunark).
  20. Ducreux Augur

Enchanters, any opinions on the fact that your Breeze was removed due to out of era mana regen at low levels but you can now buy a 100SC potion that offers 3mana/tick by level 10?
    Tudadar likes this.