Phinigel: What Class Will You Play?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by James, Nov 27, 2015.

1. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

2. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Always agonizing deciding this. Went druid first last time. Had a blast but always have a hard time sticking with them because they take a dive in a few expansions. Which is probably totally overstated but kicks in the OCD. Shammy, maybe, but I'll miss track. And I'm a melee at heart. Thought about totally changing gears and playing a wiz for first time since 99-00 but not sure. Chanter, maybe.

Really at this point I'm kind of thinking ranger or bard. Never mained one of those and both are very fun.

Suggestions? ;p I always do this.
  3. Banai Augur

You and me both. I'm tossing around monk, chanter, cleric, and wiz at the moment with bard as a possibility as well.

Lucky for me though I just convinced a friend to play so I'm going to let him pick a class and play off his lol. Something that would make a good duo for downtime and/or farming
  4. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Having a partner totally helps narrow it down. I tried getting a buddy who is new to mmos to play last time around. Didn't take. LOL.

Should do something totally different this time. Like an ogre war or something. Never could deal with that fatty camera view tho.
  5. Fhiele Augur

Ragebringer isn't hard to get. And it puts rogue from meh to hero in one item slot.
  6. Delphwind Augur

Mage ...

I know, I know. :(
  7. Fiyero Augur

Yes, but they will suck and not get groups for at least the first 90 days.
  8. Balaine New Member

Ogre Sk and Shammy i've box'd 2 chars on 2 pc's since 2001 so doubt i'll stop now ( except raids which i just single toon :) )
  9. Rhodz Augur

Why feel bad you didnt break the class any more than rogues in pvp.
    Not your fault mags feed on yellow and low red mobs like candy at Halloween. I was actually hoping they had made some adjustment since the RF/LJ launch but didnt and not sure they can but the night we took two of them to lvl 11+ (in one of the worst newbie areas in game) in the time it takes other classes to get to lvl 8 or 9 at best is just not on us.
    Play your game and let it slide off you. They can be very challenging but thats up to the player.
  10. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Oh, stop. I played a rogue after my first toon on Lockjaw starting the second week and was 48 (wasn't sweating 50) before the server was even a month old. They don't suck in classic, you just have to get past the low level pokers available and get some levels before the dps really picks up. LFG was longer than with the druid, of course, but that's to be expected with any dps class besides mages, for obvious reasons. Melees in general take a hit in classic and that combined with lack of good pokers and lack of utility compound that for the rogue, but they are entirely viable, fun to play as always, and kick out respectable dps on anything you will be killing levelling to 50. And kunark will be out in fairly short order.

Really, the thing that makes it suck to play a rogue in classic is people saying this.
    Rhodz likes this.
  11. Lokero Elder

Sounds like Bard is the class for you, given this post.

You mentioned Shaman... Bards are similar for buffing/slowing/hasting/regen, etc.

You mentioned tracking... Bards get it.

You mentioned being a melee at heart... well, Bards can almost sorta, kinda melee. They can fake it better than any casters, at least :oops: Early era, you'll more likely have an instrument in your off-hand constantly, though.

You mentioned Chanter as an option... Bard does alot of the same things, just less efficiently. Charm, mana song, mez, haste, etc. Bard even has a Rune type of song for absorbing damage like a Chanter.

To cover the other classes: Ranger is a fantastic class, but they are one of those classes, like SKs, that really starts off pretty slow in the first couple expansions. But they are arguably the most fun melee class. They are a pretty busy class with lots of abilities. Probably next to only Bards in diversity and variety. And, they can use pretty much all weapon types, unlike Bards.

Shaman, obviously, is one of the strongest classes. They are great, but you have to remember they are incredibly tedious to play before they get that massive Canni AA in Luclin or whenever. Constantly spamming Canni can get pretty old. But, they get decent pets and such as well, and can kill most anything.

I just can't play a Warrior in EQ, but that may be just me. If you ever played a Warrior-type in a newer game, or just about any other game at all.. EQ Warrior is just about the most boring version of the class possible. Crippling blows are pretty cool though.

Wizard is probably more enjoyable now than back then, because all their spells got beefed up and they still get crits early on like warriors. They can blow things apart now in the early era, but they are still all about medding and waiting for mana.

------------------------------

To everyone: Enchanter and Bard are probably the most unique classes to EQ, so if you've never done them, you probably should while you have the chance. There just aren't many classes like them in the MMO genre.