Phinigel - SoD load balancing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jaera, Sep 29, 2018.

1. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

save us prathun ur our only hope
  2. Baldur Augur

December test patch notes don't have SoD load balancing in them, so it's looking like we won't have it for expansion launch.
  3. Aegir Augur

Shame. They should really just have kept streamlining the OW zones in all expansions up till live with Load-Balancing as an ongoing plan. Losing pace with this now is just poor planning.

I know they are understaffed and working on a new expansion, but this should have been done months ago.
  4. Punchu Augur

I wonder what the reason was for not just load balancing the entire game when they did it a couple years ago for the early TLP expansions.
  5. AlmarsGuides Augur

Does SoF have pickzones?

They started Load Balancing new expansions at TBM. Only some TBM zones have it though, Sul Vius doesn't have pickzones because they had issues while coding them since this zone has a Light/Dark side. Crypt of Decay (TBM) and the Bertox remake though, have load balancing as far as I know.

All of EoK has it as does all of RoS from what I have seen.

Despite my best efforts though, I have been unable to pop a pickzone in any expansion prior to TDS on live servers. I haven't tried going back to old zones that I am positive have load balancing though, I have only tried HoT - TDS zones and I have been unsuccessful in all of them.
  6. Boze TLP complaint factory

Yes, and there's still regularly multiple picks of Crystallos even 2 months into the expansion.
  7. AlmarsGuides Augur

I'm not surprised, I would assume Crystallos (being an indoor zone) has a pickzone threshold of 20. Since it's a raid zone, one full raid of 54 would instantly pop a pickzone upon entering. If 20 people moved over to that pickzone an additional one would pop, so on and so forth. As long as each pick had 20 people minimum in it.

On the upside, SoD zones are MASSIVE and there are lots of them. Aside from flagging camps/nameds you guys likely won't experience much over crowding in the zones.
  8. Ryak Augur

We haven't seen pick thresholds as low as 20 since GoD because the zones there are relatively small. But regardless, picks are clearly used regularly in both progression bottleneck situations and end-game group zones and not having them will cause a ton of support activity most likely.

It's not technically too late until the actual patch goes out! ... :rolleyes:

This thread was posted 3 months ago pointing out the need for this. Considering they were able to do a big batch of pick zones last time they did it, the effort can't be too crazy, barring weird mechanics like devastation, which we have always forgiven. Shame...
  9. Boze TLP complaint factory

Giant SoF zones like DSH and Fort Mech had multiple picks for the first weekish of the expansion too. No pick zones is going to slow some group progression up front for SoD, and mean some unpleasantness in late grouping.
  10. Ryak Augur

My main worry is for progression bottlenecks. Do you remember the entire server fighting over like 15 basilisk spawns in Tirranun's Delve for like a week because they failed to instance DoN in time?

People were dps racing and stealing kills and it was just a generally garbage experience. I play games to have fun not to fight with 6 other people for a few open world spawns the entire server needs at the same time.
    Chatoyan and Gafgarion like this.
  11. Gafgarion Elder

Can't wait for the drama and nerd tears. Keep up the great work.
  12. Machentoo Augur

While it sucks that they didn't load balance, it will be ok. With the population we had a year ago, it would not have been. But, there won't be a dozen guilds that need to progress on day one. Realistically speaking, just gauging from SoF, there will likely be one guild that will go all out for these on the first week, two guilds that will be pressing hard toward the end of week one and on into week two, and three guilds that will be pressing hard on weeks three and four. One open world zone is enough to sustain that and more. Tier1/2 might be a little messy on the opening day or two, but it will not be any worse than past expansions like OoW where every pickzone was contested on opening night.

Also keep in mind that you can flag via raids, so most of your guild won't even need to do group progression to access the higher tier zones etc.
  13. Ryak Augur

Remember the Alamo Basilisks!
  14. Jaera Augur

A post in the live bug thread reveals:

Now we can only hope they can hotfix this in or that a patch prior to the 2nd is forthcoming.
  15. Baldur Augur

They are patching again today. So it should go in today I would assume. Patch notes haven't been posted yet though.
  16. Nolrog Augur

I hope you are being factious. They wouldn't bring the entire game down 2 days after an expansion to put in load balancing for one server.
  17. MaxTheLion Augur

Which faction would he be referring to?
  18. Darchon_Xegony Augur

What? Of course they’re bringing down the server for this.

One of the prime complaints about the newest expansion is everyone is bottlenecked into a single zone and load balancing isn’t enabled for that expansion. They just happened to add SoD, UF and HoT to the load balancing list to save themselves the effort in the future.
  19. Ryak Augur

Wait, they also failed to load balance the new live expansion? o,0

I mean, i guess it works out...

EDIT: is this the last batch of load balancing for them to be caught up or will we have this issue again after HoT?
  20. Gafgarion Elder

Looks like you got your wish.