Phinigel Server Coming Weds, Dec 9, 2015 @ 2PM PST

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Roshen, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zublak Augur

I understand that. But what I'm saying is a lot of these people who demanded this are the same people I've grouped with leveling up and they can barely handle a group let alone a raid.

My argument is this. Guilds have wiped to all the Classic bosses post-buff with 50-60 players. Some of these guilds had some really good players as well. So you take a casual minded guild who may have a decent roster of players that aren't overly familiar of raid mechanics, optimizing gear etc (dodging aoe's, utilizing disc, ch chains etc..) and the mindset of we want to do this with 30-40 people because we don't want to zerg, well I just don't see them beating these encounters. It may come off rude, but I'm just being honest here.

But we'll see. I give it 1 month before you start seeing "Nerf/remove the mitigation buff!" threads.
  2. Pseudofate Augur

I don't think a casual mindset is indicative of casual effort in this scenario.

In my experience with MMOs (which has mostly been casual-raid), when there is a specific goal on the horizon, attitudes change and even the most casual of players hunker down, do their homework, and give their all in order to conquer a challenge. Afterward everyone spams chat with "WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO" and hugs commence. Distribute loot, gratz to all and they return to "feet on the desk" mode.
    Raithel likes this.
  3. MBear Augur

Casuals shouldn't be allowed to kill dragons - regardless of instancing.
  4. Zublak Augur

I don't agree with that statement and that's not my intent.

I'm just saying they're in for a surprise if they think they'll just waltz into their weekly instance and down a god/dragon instantly.

We will see more demands soon.
  5. Raithel New Member

After playing EQ off and on since it's launch I have experienced much of the game and aside from a few minor hiccups I have loved every minute. I had hoped that the TLP servers would re-spark my desire to play the game and they did for a time. I started a character on Ragefire so that I could experience some of the old world raid content (can you believe I have never fought vox or naggy). What I found instead was raiding guilds that permanently locked down all the raid targets and gear dropping mobs. That wasn't the worst of it though 60% of the characters on the server were boxed alts. I play MMO's because of the community aspect, I mean it is a massively MULTI PLAYER game after all. EQ has unfortunately fallen behind in the community department. Here's a list of a few things that have changed over the years that EQ hasn't quite caught up with.

Past > Present
    Computers couldn't handle more than one account > Computers can handle 20+ accounts
    Dial up modem (56kbps) > Cable/DSL (5mbps ~ 60mbps)
    Everything was new and exciting. > ZAM and other sites tell you where to go.
    There were very few MMO options. > There are hundreds of MMO options.
    No free to play or Krono > Third parties buy and sell currency.

There are many other things that have changed also, but I want to focus on these. EQ was designed back when we didn't have a whole lot of computer power to work with, so most people only played one account. With the advancement of computers the old EQ model simply doesn't work. Loot tables are extremely limited in EQ and often items are so rare they will take you days of camping to get. The scarcity of loot and static spawn points make it super enticing to do the content on your own so you don't have to fight over loot when it eventually drops. These things weren't an issue in the old days because you couldn't look up where to get the best gear for your character. Other MMO's have addressed this problem by creating personal loot tables and instancing. Then there's the Krono by introducing a secondary means of paying for your play time you have all but destroyed the cooperation in the game. Many people that may have helped out their fellow players will turn to selling their items at inflated prices in order to pay for their own accounts.

If a TLP is to succeed there are a few things that need to be addressed.

1) Higher yield drops with more lore tags or change the loot tables (everyone knows where to get it now, expect drama!). Another possible fix would be to randomize the spawn locations.

2) Instance all dungeons and I mean all! In my experience no groups work together in a dungeon so why not instance them entirely for your group / raid. If there is no personal loot / reward then remove lockout timers or make them much shorter. Also instances would help with pick up groups, how often do you stand around trying to find a camp.

3) No krono from other servers. I understand that DBG needs to make their money so I don't think krono needs to be eliminated completely from a TLP. If a special krono was created that could only be purchased and used on the TLP server it would limit the number of box accounts. Here's why, right now I can create a free account get a krono use it then join the progression server, See the problem? With the special krono you would have to actually pay for your first month so farmers wouldn't be opening a dozen new accounts.

4) Stick to your time table for expansion releases. If you say it's X day's between each expansion stick with it. Make the early expansions unlock faster then slow down, not the other way around. Personally I would like to see account based progression / flagging, however I know that would be extremely difficult to implement.

5. Put in a bazaar like feature where you can list your items and prices. It doesn't need to be the full bazaar just somewhere to compare prices to help drive some competition in the market.

This ended up much longer than I had intended. I don't know if any of these suggestions will be taken seriously, it is just my 2 cents on the TLP. I hope DBG can keep EQ alive for a while longer and more people can enjoy the game as I have.
  6. cilution0 New Member

Do we have a specific launch time for this server? Is it a midnight launch? Morning? Afternoon?
  7. Daveed-Ragefire Journeyman

What I want to hear is that [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] will be one of the programs not allowed here. Completely automates boxing and doesnt matter if you have 6 computers, it still works.
  8. Grish Augur

While I can't say some people won't figure out ways around it, it looks very likely that the unmentioned 3rd party software will not be available to any idiot that can afford a subscription to one of the unmentioned 3rd party pre-compiled websites.

So while I doubt it will be entirely gone, it appears a truce has been struck between DBG and EQMule to not have a compile for the new server.

It should be very uncommon on Phinny.
  9. Daveed-Ragefire Journeyman

My post wasnt about the hacking software that isnt allowed on any servers. It is about one they allow for people to automate boxing. They removed the name and that will cause confusion.
  10. Daveed-Ragefire Journeyman

But I guess them changing the program they allows name to hide it means they arent going to block it at all on Phinny. That I have my answer.
  11. TLP_Krono_Farmer New Member

A few modifications to Emm Que Two's source and it is fully functional. It's true that not every mouth breather will be able to just click and install it, but there are plenty of people that know how to make these simple changes and compile it themselves. There will be plenty of your favorite program being abused on Phinigel.

As for the Eye Ess Boxer, it works flawlessly over the network. I've seen it work on 6 computers and have had at least 3 others confirm to me via voice coms that they have it working on anywhere from 3 to 6 machines as well. Your favorite broadcasting software isn't going anywhere, and Mage boxes sitting/standing and nuking in synchronized harmony will be back in full force.

I'm just really excited to see who is going to step up to the plate and actually bust out 12-18 computers and crack this server wide open.
  12. TheInquisitor Old Timer

If they (EQ Dev team) made krono non-tradeable just for this ruleset, there would be no need for the boxer armies to bother with a dozen pc's as they couldn't trade kronos on the new server, and thereby making this economy the most unique in the entire eq server set. Trade-skilled goods made ingamewith a dividend / gasp
  13. Darth Augur

They would just trade in platinum then.
  14. Friday Augur

The point being, folks wouldn't start with piles and piles of platinum like they will bring piles and piles of kronos, which they use to own trade skills, the server, and trash the economy in the first month like they do every single time.

And no, I don't believe it is possible to convince DB to do otherwise, mercenary as they have shown themselves to be. Lets just call it what it is, shall we? A company choking every last dime they can out of someone elses creation because addicted fan boys keep paying. Sadly, not a noble death for something we all loved, but a long, tortuous, brutal perversion of what this game once was.
    TheInquisitor likes this.
  15. Lejaun Augur

Exactly. Plat's been sold in EQ from the beginning. The only thing Krono changes is that DBG gets a cut of the price and more subscriptions (at a higher price than normal).

Take away Krono, people will sell plat. Take away plat, people will sell items. Make items no drop, people will sell loot rights for $$$.
    TLP_Krono_Farmer and Elkay like this.
  16. Rhoulicas Augur

I'm assuming that experience will be slow similar to LJ and RF?
  17. Lejaun Augur

Experience wasn't that slow on LJ and RF. Seemed to move pretty well to me.
    Kridina likes this.
  18. Daveed-Ragefire Journeyman

XP was plenty fast enough on both. Just dont XP in crappy zones.
    Lejaun likes this.
  19. TheInquisitor Old Timer

Yes they will sell the plat but it will be based upon the demand for both player created and looted items in game and not upon real world currency having a major affect inside a 16 year old video game. Big difference and a whole lot less demand.
    Besides the original economy was designed to have platinum as the pegged currency standard and not (real life money) kronos. Oh well, it in the devs hands & if they did i'd be surprised.
  20. Darth Augur

Platinum sells for real world money.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.