[Phinigel] Monk or Ranger?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ionscout, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Ionscout Journeyman

Looking for a competative melee DPS class. Doesnt have to be top DPS, but one that isn't stigmatized as a class that groups wouldnt want because it slows their TTK. Ive narrowed it to these two classes. Starting with PoP as an expansion, which class continues to improve over the other as expansions progress?

Thanks!
  2. Cats Meow Journeyman

I would go with the Ranger. From what I've heard, Monks are a lot less tanky than they were in the early days. My ranger seems to easily out dps my monk.
  3. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Monk's DPS will be higher. Ranger DPS is fine. Rangers have great utility and a versatile playstyle starting in PoP (that's where they really come into their own). Monks remain key in all applications (group, raid) because of pulling ability in-era.

They're not similar classes. One is a casting ranged-melee type with occasional tank ability. The other is toe-to-toe DPS melee class with no spells. Just pick the one with the playstyle that sounds fun to you.
  4. Razzle Augur

Ranger. All range fighter. You don't have to worry about resists as much or AoE as much because you can fire arrows outside the AoEs range. That way you can focus on getting more ATK and Crit stats.
  5. fransisco Augur

Rangers are quite fun because of all the other neat stuff they can do.
  6. Inady Lorekeeper

Ranger all the way headshot is awesome once you have all the AAs
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Rangers end up tanking pretty often in groups classic through PoP. And if decently geared they are quite good at it. Hold agro well, mitigate decently, and generally put out more dps than other tank classes would. I wouldn't at all consider them an "all range fighter" although if raiding that can be the case sometimes.
  8. Razzle Augur

While this is true about rangers having to tank sometimes, their main function is DPS. They are the only class that have good DPS in melee and ranged distances, they are the ultimate fighter at all ranges. The other melee classes do their main DPS at melee distance only.

When I said "all range fighter" I didn't mean distance only, I meant at all distances. I guess I should of said "All distances Fighter" to clearify that.
  9. Rhodz Augur

At first Rng tank ok, this changes as gear changes and Rng tanking slowly becomes bad news.
    Monks are fairly in the same boat there.
    Rng needs a lot of work but not nearly what monks have to put in getting that bakers dozen of skills up to par. Many of which have to be done on your own outside of combat.
    Depends entirely on play style.