Pets somehow tanking better then me?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by kettcorey9, Apr 6, 2022.

1. kettcorey9 New Member

So I am a 110 group warrior and the necro and mage I play with are 111 and 112 so at 110 I am fighting at ew have died multiple times but yet there pets can stay alive longer then me now yes the have died but not as much as me and I pop all my defense aas and combat abillites and sometimes live sometimes die its a 50/50 chance but when they are on cooldown I get destroyed any tips?
  2. Cicelee Augur

Sounds like EW is too difficult of a zone for that group. Maybe go to an easier zone, get a level or two and some AA's and come back and try?

Also, use a period once in awhile.
    Quatr and zleski like this.
  3. Petalonyx Augur

At 111, the mage has access to a new tier of higher level pet. Level differential (your lvl or pet tank lvl vs mob lvl) is a critical factor in ability to tank and mitigate/avoid damage. If the pet owners have pet fortitude AA maxed, a max pet focus ear, pet gear, and keep pet buffs, runes, etc maintained, then the pets probably will tank better 1v1 vs a lvl 110 player tank especially if that player tank does not have gear and AA. I recall ToV group tanks came in around 325k hp and 8000 ac. Are you close to that?
  4. Alnitak Augur

Iirc, TBL raid earring is EM27, and a mage would summon lvl 114 air pet with lvl 111 spell. Group EM21 would create lvl 112 air pet. Air pet is a decent tank, comparable to a dual-wielding group warrior of the same level, though, without special warrior disciplines.
    As I remember my own ToV fights (I went to EW at lvl 113 firt time) an air pet could tank a trash mob (18 million HP, hits 35K+) with little difficulty as a main tank with a healer merc, although 2 mobs would be a dangerous situation. When mage's pet is talking, the aggro also bounces between air pet and swarm pets, which makes healer's job easier. When player warrior tanks it holds aggro all the time and gets to withstand all mob's hits.

EW fighting was quite more challenging than my grinding grounds in GMM, where lvl 110-111 in-mission orcs had 6-7 million HP and hit 25K on average.

At 113 my beastlord got the new warder and tanking situation changed - the warder is a true warrior with disciplines, damage mitigation and supported by massive beastlord's pet heals. lvl 113 warder with group EM22 has no problem tanking ToV mobs up-to Tier-2 nameds, which requires 2 healer mercs to tank, 1 is not enough. Raid EM27 lvl 113 warder can tank everything in ToV with just 1 healer merc (same for mage's lvl 114 Earth pet).

For a comparison - I have tank guildies in my group on many occasions. Group-geared under lvl 115 knights had to be 2HS dps assisting MT pets, because they had hard time tanking. Only lvl 115 with good gear and AA's (or raid level gear) could do better tanking than my pets in ToV (some of my guildies top SK's tanked ToV as a joke back then).

Basically, in my opinion, OP needs to gain levels, AA's and gear to become a viable tank in ToV and rely on pet tanking. At 115 tanking will become trivial though.
  5. kettcorey9 New Member

I have 233k hp and 5000 ac buffed up.
  6. Cadira Augur

I don't mean any offense by this, but 5k ac sounds abysmally low for a 110 warrior from what I remember. Your average hit is probably what's tearing you to pieces.

Are you in full snowbound/t1 tov non vis? All aug slots filled with high ac and hdex augs? All type 5s filled with tbl or better hdex augs?

Hopefully between that, a few aas, rotating defensive abilities efficiently you should be able to stand up to a ew mob. I'd never use 2h, always dual wield or sword and board if you're really fearful and don't care about your own dps.

If all you're using for healing is a healer Merc or two, that alone could be your biggest issue. Healer mercs are trash sadly.

Slower makes a world of difference too if ones available.
  7. minimind The Village Idiot

I have some curious insight here. I just played a level tank (109 warrior) in a group for the first time ever on Tuesday. Gear was majority T1 TBL group gear and some leftover EoK T1 stuff. The group consisted of a berserker, ranger, rogue, cleric, and enchanter (everyone is group-geared, showed up max buffed). Basically, these are all very neglected alts that me and a bunch of friends are playing just for the hell of it.

How my warrior was kitted out at the time:
    • Autogrant AAs
    • Type 7 Augs: 30+ AC for almost every aug, including some TBL Stratos augs
    • Type 5 Augs: Broken Mirror +hSTA aug (maybe a couple better) in each slot
    • Weapons: Conflagrant weapons
    • Shield: TBL T1 group (almost always equipped)
    • All my discs up to level 105, but hadn't bought up to 109. I spent the night learning what did.
    We went off to Eastern Wastes this week and, being that this was the first time I had ever played a tank, we just did a two hour grind while we learned. I was always burning SOME disc and used a spam button for a plethora of abilities. There was one death (puller).

Caveats -- I may have been the lowest level of the group with group spread going from 109 to 120 (cleric).

Last night, I did some Overseer and dinged to 110, equipped Snowbound in almost all slots with a net gain of ~60k HP and 600AC. I'd feel more confident doing EW... maybe even attacking some of the giants. Maybe...

New stats after upgrading almost every slot to T1 TOV (per magelo)
    • 8857 raw AC from gear, 543 raw AC from augs
    • 1135 hSTA
    • 237.6K HP unbuffed
  8. Silu Elder

First, Lil, how can a person with a zerk main go hSta over hDex on their group geared war?

As far as stats go, TBL introduced the evolver items that were achievable for group geared players. My alt has ice encrusted, CoV T1 and one non-maxed evolver and sits around 345k HP / 8800 AC lobby buffed, pre-disc. As was mentioned, depending on the pet focus, the mage and Necro pets might be 2-4 levels higher than you, and trading agro with swarm pets where they don't have to be healed all the time (and allows them to have a larger percentage of hits absorbed by the melee block procs). Mages also proc pet heals from nukes that help pet survivability but not the tank.

You didn't mention AAs, dodge augs, if you were sword and board, using dicho/pain doesn't hurt / CoA BP, BD coating, etc.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  9. minimind The Village Idiot

Working up to 1200 hSTA (38 melee shielding), then filling in with hDEX for DPS, parry, etc. Been auging up over the last few days. I still have 9 TBM type 5s to replace 9 Type 7s with <40 AC and <10 total in heroic stats.

So much gear hunting!!

Regardless, my point is that a OP with 233k hp and 5000 ac (buffed) is running a 110 warrior with lower vitals than I and I was in TBL gear. I also had *something* in each of my aug slots.

T1 ToV Attuneable stuff would be a major boon to him/her not to mention focusing on augs for a while. Even old augs. Just make sure SOMETHING is in every type 5 and type 7 aug slot. Anything is better than 0.

If kettcorey9 is still following this thread and is on the Luclin server, just let me know. We'll chat and I'll send you every spare bit of ToV attuneable gear you can use. I don't have much in the way of attuneable augs, but the gear will help.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

EW is entirely level appropriate.
  11. Cicelee Augur

Level appropriate and able to handle the zone are two completely different things.

OP may have the level, but not the gear and AA and augments. So if OP wants to tank it, s/he may have to drop down a zone level or to.
  12. kookoo Augur

again an average tank , can be worst tank vs pet, i have seen plenty of real tank tanking better than pet, but yeah they have to know their class. tanks have tools , use them , at the right time.
  13. Beco Lorekeeper

Among others I play a mage and a sk, both group geared. Once the sk had 35k aa's passed and the right gear for the zone he outperformed the mages pet tanking ability more than 'only' notable. Any class but the tank can progress in content not sufficient geared and with low aa's. Choosing a tank class you have to accept, that you need to put more effort than the others to get fit for the next content. In my every days evening group we accept this and all gear useful for the tank is at first given to the tank.
    If you can't tank the content you wish to play, you either accept the help of the others pets or need to step back in content and collect more gear/aas before progressing to new content.
    Flatchy likes this.
  14. Flatchy Court Jester

In my group tank always gets the gear first (mostly because its a greedy troll) but I always give the mage the first pair of arms of the year.
    Owl56 likes this.