Petrifiying Earth at level 63 is better than RoF's shackle

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xnao, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Xnao Augur

Petrifying earth has thrice the maximum length as shackle.

Shackle is a copy and paste of Greater Immobilize.

Removing the max length would make it the best root.
  2. huadmer Lorekeeper

Shackle RK.I
    Cast time 1.25
    Resist adjust -50
    Mana cost 250
    Duration 60 sec

Greater Immobilize
    Cast time 1.75
    Resist adjust -30
    Mana cost 150
    Duration 60 sec

Petrifying Earth
    Cast time 2.5
    Resist adjust -30
    Mana cost 180
    Duration 180 sec

Guess it gives, a faster casting less resist version with a shorter duration. Verses a longer casting and more likely to resist with a longer duration.

I hardly ever see root lasting the duration. My choice the faster casting less resist one (shackle).
    RaceCondition likes this.
  3. Xnao Augur

-20 is barely a differnce.

If you are root rotting and killing things in under a minute you are losing a ton of experience. If you are doing other things with root than shackle would be better.
  4. Qbert Gallifreyan

The PoP paladin root (and the aa version that we got a couple years ago of that same spell) are also better than the new root. When it was brought up, the response was along the lines of: there are many classes with root who have not gotten a root spell in a long time - all of them were included on this spell.
  5. RaceCondition Augur

I disagree, the -20 makes a massive difference (it will also make the root more likely to hold longer), and the cast time makes it much easier to use when someone is chasing you.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shackle on average holds longer than Petrifying Earth, just because of the resist modifier.
  6. Xnao Augur

If the issue is something chasing you, half the classes who get the spell can knockback root.

If you are root rotting, which is mostly what I am complaining about, you will have a http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=85171 . Or a shaman would have malo. So resist rate is only useful for cleric and pally.

Either tash or malo will make both last their full duration. You would be dumb to root rot without debuffing the mob.
  7. Hatsee Augur

-20 is huge... Especially on a root spell.
  8. Dr Dice Elder

I disagree Xnao, even with tash+scent mobs still break root early. (and no I do not have any DD proc or augs on)

The new casting time is a huge bonus with new root. However, be nice if it lasted longer
  9. shiftie Augur

root checks per tic against the MR to see if it will break, having a higher resist mod is actually a big deal.
  10. Xnao Augur

Man its like school let out early or something.

-50 resist > -20 resist check for ROOT ROTTING.

But irrelevant. Any root rotting class can debuff magic so your "zomg i know everything" is pointless.
  11. shiftie Augur

your font changes and personal attacks don't make you any more correct.

Can I cry to have the cast time reduced to the same speed as shackles of tunare so it is also the best root for paladins?
  12. RaceCondition Augur

It's going to be hard to find people to agree with you Xnao, since you're randomly saying things that aren't true ("Shackle is a copy and paste of Greater Immobilize.", "-20 is barely a differnce."), you're insulting the people because they disagree with you, and I think an overwhelming amount of people think Shackle is generally better than Greater Immobilize.

If you think Greater Immobilize is better, then just use that spell instead.
  13. Xnao Augur

Just like insisting that you're right does not make you correct.

You are a PALADIN you cannot root rot so your opinion does not matter.

People think shackle is better because it is new. If you are root rotting and killing stuff in 60s you are pretty much bad.

Load 12 dots on to kill it in 60s < Loading 6 dots on two mobs to kill them in 120s.

Same time spent casting but you kill more. That is why I am insulting people who CANNOT ROOT ROT.

They have no concept and yes, shackle is better for them.

A paladin posting in here and telling me I am wrong is just clearly trying to bait me. This does not apply to him but he is trying to get a negative reaction.
  14. shiftie Augur

you're pretty good at negative reactions without any outside assistance.

Just because the root doesn't last forever and a day like an older version root doesn't make your assertion that -20 v -50 anymore true. Even with your -50 tash click that makes a difference of -70 vs -100 MR check, I had to use a calculator to find out which one was more don't be ashamed if you have to also. Shocker the one with -100 is going to have a better chance of not breaking early regardless of how you are using it.

Shackles is not better than older roots for various reasons. For you it is b/c you want it to last as long as your older root for me I'd like it to have a faster cast time. My root spell is also an AA so I never have to load it. Why would I all of a sudden drop a spell to load a slower casting root? The devs told paladins it was a template spell for multiple class and basically "too bad and find a use for it however limited it might be".

Your salty tears over this are amusing though.
  15. Xnao Augur

Always with the baiting, you bait everyone.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

And us wizards are still waiting for a aa root lol. whats up with whining necros and want want want geez.

Andarriel