Pet Tanking Raid Mobs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Explicit, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shiftie Augur

You cannot boost a tank to do things that break a script or otherwise circumvent eq mechanics.

Are they suddenly going to make shared aggro between tanks less of a burden on healers the way it is for pets? Or are they going to make tanks have a suspended self button so that they can doppleganger themselves back into combat immediately without a rez and fully rebuffed? I think not.

The problem does not reside in player power. It revolves around in game mechanics favoring expendable pets, shared aggro and a few other factors.

Also, White chocolate macadamia nut cookies are delicious!
    moogs likes this.
  2. moogs Augur

If we all can't at least agree on this, then forget it...
  3. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Why should the pet be expendable?, mine tanked the beast king from 90% hp to 'till we won after main and backup player tanks dropped.
  4. Hatsee Augur

The only result of this thread should be that a list of questionable events is made and GM's pop in on anyone doing them. If a pet is observed to be tanking for any length of time everyone gets a ban for at least a week and they move on to the next DZ, rinse, repeat.

Cheating should not be condoned or endorsed simply because bad guilds decided to do it in record numbers.
  5. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

How could you possibly consider having a pet that is designed to tank mobs, tanking a mob 'cheating'? It's using a feature as it was designed to be used. It's lame to have to do so, but it's not cheating.

The only problem is that raids are designed to allow it; it would be trivial to make raid mobs deal 10x normal melee damage to pets, and/or proc a pet-only deathtouch; or simply ignore any pets and charge the nearest PC, or regen 1 million HP a tick while no PC is in melee range... The designers have chosen not to do so.

Mages at least have a role in raiding now aside from rods. I do hope however they fix this, that they try and keep pets useful. I'm thinking of those events where some mobs can be rooted; some mezzed; some snared and kited; maybe add a type of add that needs to be offtanked by pets. Something not root/snare/mez/kiteable, and procs a charm effect, or does 10x the damage to PC than to pets, so PC's can't tank them, but pets can. Not the main boss, but as part of some events.
  6. Langya Augur

Hadse, they name streets after you:

[IMG]
  7. iniari-TR Augur

would hardly consider a pet tanking rather then a real tank as an exploit deserving a ban. its nothing like guilds that have exploited to bypass lockouts or 3 rd party hacks.

previous questionable tactics such as standing behind a rock , buffblock , manaburn teams, or simpily zerging a mob with chain rezzing , etc , etc. have been a part of EQ since the beggining. no one was banned , just changes were made as the devs saw fit.

i like raids that there may be more then one way to win. having events that require following an exact script with zero tolerance for error is no fun.
    and part of the enjoyment of the game is to beat the dev's design and find the weekness. and im sure the devs are actually grateful when we find things so that they may be addressed either to fix something or give them ideas for other designs.
  8. Mellifleur Augur

The funniest thing in this thread is a member posting guilds should be banned for using a work around such as pet tanking... and said member is part of a guild currently using active work around to win events such as Xorbb 1.
    And in the past...
    Does this rule apply to said guild as well ?
    Kreacher likes this.
  9. Hatsee Augur

No, there is nothing wrong with a pet tanking if the event is simple.

If you use it on an event where it gets past some mechanics because they don't work on pets? That's not a genius tactic, it's cheating and should be dealt with accordingly.

No one should be banned because Gibobanor gets agro. They should eat a suspension if their entire tactic relies on using Jibobor and his pals because the event doesn't penalize them like it does players.
  10. Hatsee Augur

The funniest thing about this thread is that a line in the sand gets drawn if a guild past a certain mark 'cheats' in some way. Why would anyone support banning a top end guild for cheating but not mid tier ones?

If we pet tanked? Heads would roll, people would pretend we just murdered Ghandi. But if Johnny Casual does? No one cares, heck people want his tactic made even better and fully supported by the devs.

Who gets to draw this line? A community that is hypocritical and quite likely insane? That's absurd.

Oh and please don't allude to some cheat you may have heard through the grapevine that probably was not used by anyone. But please do post it, I'm hoping it's as awesome as being accused of using mercs on Fippy back in UF.
  11. Cicelee Augur

Why are we *still* talking about this?!?

Look. Pets are fine in their current state in the game. There is no need to change pets as they are.

However the only thing that needs to change are raid mechanics that do not affect pets but do affect players. Either (a) pets need to be affected by these mechanics, (b) tanks *specifically warriors since they are the standard raid named tank* need some sort of ability to mitigate/bypass raid mechanics that pets currently do, or (c) more raid mechanics need to be added so that if a developer does not want a raid named pet tanked bit a guild chooses to do so, then that guild is penalized i.e. if a pet is tanking a raid named for longer than 20 seconds the pet owner is DT'ed.

People need to stop focusing on the pet, and instead on the raid mechanic.

ps: Magicians are overrated
  12. Jalany Elder

Ask anyone in an end game raid guild if this sounds like a good idea... Everyone will answer NO, end game raid guilds raid to get to the finish line first, to be the best, to have the best gear first. not to have some crappy new look for an item everyone else has.
  13. Kilzit New Member

Every guild wants to progress its the nature of the beast.If a guild can straight up tank every encounter good for them.If a guild cant and finds itself needing to pet tank it to win good for them.They have found the slowest,hardest,boringest way.They have taken a raid and doubled if not trippled the time it would normaly take to win.cheating is doing something the fastest- easiest way,evidently pet tanking is neither.Should a pet take the place of a tank..no.What i mean by that is 54 in raid and a pet class shows up would i tell a tank hey you gotta sit this one out we need the pet to tank it.A tank should be the best there is for tanking,pets are encroaching on that,but on same note clerics should be the best healers but several classes are encroaching on that as well.Its not just pet classes that would have to be looked at its all classes.
  14. Cone head Augur

First issue I see with the OP’s post is no real detail as to what raid target or event.

A general “The Sky is falling” and everyone is up in arms.

Explicit the OP has won EQ, ‘Troll achievement’ unlocked.

Explicit I have to admit you have demonstrated the use of the Jedi mind trick very well……
  15. Explicit Augur

I feel so...honored? I stopped posting after the first page or two because most of what I had to say had already been said by many others. I did not, however, foresee this going on for 12 pages but valid arguments are still being brought up on both fronts.

Whether you're against it or not, this thread proves that this topic is indeed an important one and worth digging into. Would be nice to see some official commentary, be it one way or the other (though I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it).
  16. Beinshady New Member

There is nothing at all wrong with pet tanking group or raid mobs. Iirc mage pets have always been used to tank stuff when a real tank could not be found before the mercs. Pet tanking events, tasks or just grinding has always been the normal thing sort of.Imo pet tanking is a legit way of doing something and if you have enough over healing needed to keep them alive during a raid event then way to go on the win. Calling for a ban on anyone using it made me laugh so hard, really who do you think you are? How many thousands of aa's have to go into making that pet be that good? Quite a bit which imo is a good reward for a lot of work, even with as fast as you can pl today. Beside all that the only real problem i have seen are the ones complaining and most of them have the means or real tanks geared in order to handle something others are apparently using pet tanks to do. Quit crying gear up and enjoy the win the way you got it as long as you did it w/o or the like then CONGRATS to those that have a legit win.
  17. Vouivre Augur

Okay, so you support everyone getting banned that has used this tactic previously too along with losing their win for said raid? If not it's just hypocritical babbling.
  18. Piestro Augur

Using pets to tank raids is not an exploit. It's not ideal, and almost always a sub-optimal choice, but it is in the range of allowed options. If a pet trivializes a raid's mechanics that does probably need to be addressed.
    UnnamedPlayer, Voragath, Xnao and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.