Pet Power focus effect

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Imukai, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Imukai Augur

There's surprisingly little information about what the various pet focus items actually do to your pet. The items' data simply says Pet Power with a number, and Lucy isn't any help.

People say the higher the number the better. Great. But what does each level do? There was a comment somewhere that in addition to an unspecified level increase, it gives the pet a cloak item with unspecified stats to boost its hp and such.

Messing around with a level 60 pet, I can see his level go up to 61 or 63 and I can see his max dmg has increased a little, and it "seems" he has a good bit more health.

Lacking a way to see the pet's equipment to see the magic cloak, or see the pet's stats in general (something that has boggled my mind to this day) -- does anyone anywhere have any quantifiable information for each of the Pet Power levels in the wild? Example, Pet Power 10 = +1 level, cloak with 500hp, 25% haste, 100 strength (made up).
  2. Leetsauz New Member

snailish likes this.
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

4. Rickate Augur

Pet Focus is a mystery, in a continuing effort the Devs seek to obfuscate data to the point that 3rd party parsers are unable to cull accurate information.

The most significant EM levels due to availability are EM7/8 which only requires a dzadd when SoD Mindblight/Tower is defeated and EM12 which comes from Oozing Bone Spike a named drop from In Defense of Health an HA which can be requested at Level 75.

3: Limit Min Level: 76

Technically they do "work" at Level 76, equipping the aug/earring will prevent your pet from being focused by items which would augment your pet. It's vastly too complicated to pair with min level line with the Templates and it will be the 10 year anniversary of when the Line 3 of many focus items was made obsolete in 9 days.
  5. Sancus Augur

Pet foci are not standardized in the way you're suggested. They don't add X amount of stat Y, or 1 level, or what have you. Instead, for every pet focus that affects a particular level range, each pet affected by pet foci has it's own, unique, hand-made template. The gains between focus rank are not standardized, nor are the gains between different pets within the same focus rank.

It's likely most of the values are spreadsheeted out to an extent, but there definitely isn't enough consistency to extrapolate the benefit of a focus rank for different pet types. Someone could test every pet in the game with every focus rank, but the effort associated with that is relatively prohibitive. That's especially true given pet HP, AC, ATK, hit values, etc are unclear without a significant amount of parsing.

In general, though, the increases between pet focus ranks are very minor, especially at higher levels. As was previously mentioned, the naming convention for pet cloaks is standardized, so you can find them on alla. Those cloaks also come with "Innate Defense," which adds 1% mitigation per focus rank.
  6. Leigo You come here often?

As i've said for many years.. WTB pet inventory tab! please please please
    Yinla, xcitng and Yimin like this.
  7. Mintalie Augur

Persistent Pet Gear for 100 AA, anyone? Or 20 ranks at 10 AA each? Or anything, really.
    Ibadan Kun'Tirel, Yinla and Yimin like this.
  8. Leigo You come here often?

the inventory tab would be more useful.. being able to see your pet's stats and what gear they have on.. changing weapons to fit what role they are in etc..
    Mintalie, xcitng and Yimin like this.
  9. Rickate Augur

In general the first new raid level pet focus that is available in an expansion which increases player level is a significant upgrade.

Level 65 - Minion of Eternity
    Level 70 - Servant of Chaos
    Level 75 - Servitor of Scale
    Level 80 - Enhanced Minion III
    Level 85 - Enhanced Minion VI
    Level 90 - Enhanced Minion XII
    Level 95 - Enhanced Minion XIV
    Level 100 - Enhanced Minion XVII
    Level 105 - Enhanced Minion XXIII
    Level 110 - Enhanced Minion XXV

It has apparently flattened out at EM 17+, but other than the bottom two on the list those are essentially the Pet Focus tiers.
  10. Sancus Augur

It's not just about the number of focus levels added. RoF, TDS, and RoS pets have very little scaling per focus rank. VoA, which was released 6 years ago, was the last expansion in which pets scaled significantly with focus rank, and I believe even that was nerfed during the CotF pet nerfs. As such, going up even multiple focus ranks for level (91/)96+ pets is pretty insignificant.
  11. Warpeace Augur

To be honest if a Merc does not lose its gear on death why do pets?
  12. Leigo You come here often?

cause pets are useful.. hi wp
  13. Cicelee Augur

Pets are summoned via a spell. Mercenaries, not so much...
  14. IblisTheMage Augur

I would pay 500+ AA pr item location without blinking, 1000+ if they accept No Drop, 1500+ if they also accept augs. Who wouldn’t want to have a pet in full Conflagrant? :)

I don’t see it happning, though. We are nukers first, now, with a good pet.
    Pirlo and Boze like this.
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

Well, from an in-character perspective, the sudden appereance of mercs seems quite supernatural. :)
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Warpeace Augur

Are they really that different? Lets be honest here. With a Merc Anyone can play Mage, depending on the merc and level.
  17. Rickate Augur

So taking a wild guess in RoF you went from EM16 to EM19 and you went from can tank all group content to can tank all group content and your raid pet parses didn't improve very much.

Now imagine other people went from EM11 to EM14 during RoF and are going from EM17 to EM19 during RoS, can't match the range exactly since EM16 doesn't work on RoS pets.

In 2022 or so when group pet focus is EM25 it will make a difference even though you didn't notice much difference fighting RoS mobs which will be relatively speaking SK pets to the mobs in the 2022 expansion.
  18. xcitng Augur

I can see pets dying when we do, but it is very wrong that they die when the server crashes. That is not our fault, it is thiers, but we have to deal with it. They really need to fix that!!
  19. Yimin Augur

On my server Brekt you can even buy the pet raid focus !

YiMin
  20. Sancus Augur

Nope. I was level 16 for pretty much all of RoF. I hit level 100 with EM 12 mid-CotF and had EM 21 by the end of CotF (with EM 15 and 20 as interim steps).

I don't base my claims on anecdotal evidence, though. When pets were nerfed in CotF, the devs further decreased the difference between each focus rank. I spent dozen of hours parsing out different foci ranks and sent that data to the developers. There was no parseable difference over 1800s parses, with group focused pets often coming out very slightly ahead of raid focused pets because of the RNG and the complete lack of differentiation. I did those tests with the level 100 pets, and again with the level 105 pets.

There's a big difference between having no focus and having a focus, but, as I've stated, the difference between ranks are small. They are slightly higher now that EM cloaks come with Innate Defense (1% mitigation per rank), but it still takes very long parses to discern any difference.

If you don't believe me, I'd suggest you also read over the first section of the CotF pet nerf post. Admittedly the graphs are really badly labeled, but the important point is 96+ pets barely scale at all in AC, whereas 91+ pets did. That scaling was even further decreased with the following nerfs. While the post doesn't show it, the same is true for other pet stats.

You definitely want to have a pet focus that actually works on your pet, and given the option obviously a higher one is better. The differences between each rank are, however, small, like I've been saying. They are obviously larger if you increase multiple ranks at once, but the overall benefit is still small.
    Zanarnar and IblisTheMage like this.