Pet Melee on Raids

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Sancus, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Sancus Augur

In lieu of the recent pet changes, this issue has been becoming increasingly frustrating to me. I know better Mages than I (namely Piemastaj and likely Enkel) have sent much more complete information to the developers and have been ignored. That said, it is distressing to see devs changing other parts of pet code without addressing this issue, which is clearly broken. The easiest way to show the problem is with this graph:
    [IMG]

The above is a parse of my EM 23 water pet with full burn buffs from Inny. Now, the above is a rather extreme case, but I believe it makes the issue very obvious: pets stop swinging for huge amounts of time on raids, drastically reducing their melee DPS. This is why, 2 expansions and numerous AA upgrades later, pets are bursting at 1/2 or less of their CotF DPS. To be clear, this is only an issue in raids, and the issue varies from raid to raid (very prevalent in TDS and TBM). For a more lengthy explanation, I wrote one a while back here.

Magicians have been struggling for viability in raids, and having one of our largest DPS tools be this broken is pretty crippling. To be clear, fixing this would not magically make the class fine in raids, but having pets not broken would be a nice start.
    Tacoheals likes this.
  2. Vexed Journeyman

Have you considered putting your pet in a special needs program?

This doesn't appear to be an issue with any of our mage's pets. Sure, he misses a few hits occasionally, but he's running on full cylinders during raids.

[IMG]
  3. Repthor Augur

wonder if this happenes if u keep issueung your pet commands and every time he gets a new one he stops interrupts his melee to do he new command (haveing a key with pet attack in spammed with nukes or whatever) i dont claim this is how it works. I know in some other games thats how pet works. Maybe its true for eq aswell
  4. Sancus Augur

I suppose I should elaborate then. First off, no, my pet is fine, thanks for your concern. Secondly, as I said, the graph on Inny is a very extreme case (though most of my Inny parses thus far look like that). The actual issue is that pet attempts per second varies drastically between group and raid situations, as well as raid to raid. This is not an easy problem to diagnose partially because there is so little consistency. I know in the past high add raids have caused pets to lag in such a manner, but at this point I can find very little correlation between characteristics of a raid and how pets perform (other than it's worse in TDS/TBM raids). There are some raids where pets consistently perform pretty well (Emollius is a good example), and there are also rare occasions where pets just happen to work really well for some reason.

Moving on to your parse, yes, it does look like the pet was performing decently. Do you know how many attempts per second it was making, excluding direct damage? In other words, how fast was it swinging?

Edit: I don't spam the pet attack key (I only use it once on most fights), but at least on combat dummies it doesn't decrease their DPS/swing rate.
    Tacoheals likes this.