Confirmed Pet Melee Lag

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Sancus, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Sancus Augur

Ultimately, coding time is limited, and I do think it's extremely important to dedicate the bulk of resources to improving general zone performance. That said, "raid zones lag" and "any amount of lag makes pets not swing for long periods, sometimes longer than a minute" are not the same issue. Pet melee began lagging years before (a decade ago at this point) there was broadly perceptible raid zone lag. There does not appear to be a panacea for raid lag, and therefore it's unlikely that it is remedied to an extent that pets consistently swing at their intended rate without other changes.

I think it's a fair request, given the aforementioned circumstances, that some resources be dedicated to ascertaining why primary pets are so disproportionately impacted. I feel the same way for other acute symptoms of lag; some are detrimental enough that they need a more targeted response than asking people to continue to wait on zone performance.
    Hobs, Wulfhere, Rexa and 2 others like this.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

How long is "awhile" in the world of today?
  3. Malbro Augur

In DP speak: Soon
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

Soon™ is really a term that started with the original ownership.
    Also: "Working as intended"
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  5. Sancus Augur

This appears to specifically be caused by procs. Pets with no procs see comparatively little degradation in melee swing rate with lag, while pets with many procs barely swing. Even a single proc appears to slow pet melee, which means that the swords that Roiling Servant/Beastlord swarm pets come summoned with are likely reducing their DPS in laggy instances.

Here are some examples:
    [IMG]

The top two parses are from this past Sunday, and the pet with no procs performed 125%/58% more hits, respectively. Shei/AHR are older parses from laggier instances, which had 352%/209% increase in melee rate, respectively.

Although this issue becomes worse with more procs, it occurs even with one proc (e.g., weapons), as that last parse shows - the pet without proccing weapons swung 21% more often.

The good news is that players can block procs on their primary pets to avoid this, which significantly improves their performance on raids. Unfortunately, there's no way to avoid the proc weapons that Mage/Beastlord swarm pets come summoned with. I'd love to see this fixed, but RS pets really should have their proc weapons removed as an interim solution.
    Hobs, Wulfhere, Swiss and 11 others like this.
  6. Kalamos Augur

By "block procs" I assume you mean by simply not equipping the pet with proc weapons?
  7. Marton Augur

I'm guessing this would be not giving pets proc weapons and blocking pet buffs like mage Iceflame, Virulent Talon, and melee proc buffs from other classes.
    Swiss and Sancus like this.
  8. Sancus Augur

I mean not equipping proc weapons (or other items with procs), avoiding/blocking all proc buffs (Marton provided some examples), and using spellhold.
    Hobs, Swiss and Kalamos like this.
  9. Kalamos Augur

Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for putting the work into discovering this. Hopefully DPG can find a solution. I guess I'll need to look up some spell IDs so I can set up social buttons to block and unblock for the time being.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Yeah, workarounds of removing weapons and blocking spells

is intended?

Fix > Gerry rigging.

It is a bug

Fix the bug.period. This would be correct.
    Hobs, Domniatric and Fenthen like this.
  11. Heydoo New Member

Any idea what can be blocked for Roiling Servant pet weapon procs?
  12. winspearean New Member

Would Arcane Harmony Strike count as a proc buff? I only did one raid last night and that was the only proc my pet had after making the changes recommended in this thread.
  13. Sancus Augur

Yes, you’ll need to block Arcane Harmony (/blockspell add pet 63063).
  14. fortuneteller Augur

Question, it is confirmed on procs from pets, how about also causing lag for melee ?

Since the type 18/19 came into place, the lag in general has gone up, maybe comes here for procs as well ?
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

IMO arcane harmony is not worth using in the first place.
    Fenthen and Sancus like this.
  16. Hamshire Augur

WILD that I am now just hearing about this.
    I assume the answer to this is yes but does the mage buff pet proc line also effect this? If so we shouldn't be using them period until this is fixed? Example down below.[IMG]
  17. Sancus Augur

Correct. All procs count and will reduce pet DPS in raids. I'd still personally use Iceflame in group content if I was pet tanking, but it can still reduce pet DPS.

Courtesy of Gorg, here's a command that covers a good chunk of modern proc spells (not exhaustive):
    Code:
    /blockspell add pet 16287 16528 46212 65378 32376 63747 16525 6278 3290 64145 61421 16329 49719 49713 64105 63063 63033 11538 49278 61566
    That blocks:
    • Companion's Necromancy
    • Apex of the Elements
    • Lingering Nightmares
    • Ecliptic Roar
    • Virulent Talon
    • Iceflame Barricade
    • Companion's Elements
    • Might of the Wild Spirits
    • Hobble of Spirits
    • Spirit of Siver
    • Composite Roar
    • Companion's Savagery
    • Blackguard's Synergy
    • Outrider's Synergy
    • Dire Bite
    • Arcane Harmony
    • Shojralen's Song of Suffering
    • Aura of the Stoic
    • Night's Endless Terror
    • Night's Perpetual Terror
    Note that some of the above are class specfic and don't need to be blocked on other classes. Also, it's also fine to just not cast things like Iceflame Barricade rather than blocking them. Make sure you have enough blocked pet spell slots for the above command if you decide to use it.
    Missiny, Hobs, Wulfhere and 3 others like this.
  18. Karmana New Member

Sad that we are having to reduce our pets ability to proc extra dps and abilities to keep its damage up. I dislike not having Iceflame up on pet for Prism skin etc.

We cannot remove pet weapons which are auto summoned with them.

Can we get an update on this?
    Fenthen likes this.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

There was an issue with melee defensive procs (lassitude line) many years ago we parsed. A warrior being swung at and proccing would interrupt his swings since it counted as the warrior casting. Get enough things swinging at you and proccing and the warrior would never swing.
    I wonder if this is something similar.
  20. Hamshire Augur

So I am a TLP player and brought this up with some guildies and someone said that this mainly effects live only because they have a lot of lag that we on TLPs do not. Has anyone actually parced this on TLPs? Does it effect TLPs less and if not by how much if anyone knows this?