PET FOCI in early expansions, part II

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Adonhiram, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Adonhiram Augur

And here the second part of the paper about Pet foci. I made a table by expac from weakest to strongest (if that makes sense, the idea is to show the hierarchy of pet foci from Classic to TBS when they turn into the 'Enhanced Minion' line). General drop info or context is included. I hope it will help you to have a quick overview.

As always, on the eqmagetower.com forum :

Pet foci in early expansions, The List
    snailish likes this.
  2. Donroy Elder

Thanks for keeping us mages updated with the current info. I have a couple of general mage questions if you don’t mind.
    1) Is Kindle useless? Ive been using it but recently read that it no longer applies to fire pets since they don’t have mana pools anymore. that was from a post in 2013 so not sure if that’s current info.
    2) Will there be a foci available on Agnarr that will allow a pet to be summoned with armor equipped? Your site says 71+ unfocused but didn’t see if a pre 71 foci allows for it. Another really outdated mage site says 61+ focused for armor but a guildie recently picked up the Time foci and said his pet was still accepting armor.
    Thanks!
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Raid gear only, it would appear.
  4. Kahna Augur

The Encyclopedia Necrotheurgia does still exist, and drop. It drops off hate minis.
  5. snailish Augur

6. Boze TLP complaint factory

FWIW for filling out your future data, Servitor of Scale takes BST pets to 73, and I'm pretty sure that's consistent for mage too.
    Adonhiram likes this.
  7. Xeris Augur

Sorry, I was reading the necro thread... does the poh focus stack with other foci? One comment said "hold onto it," why? Is there some extra value the necro pet book gives? Why would you ever need it if you have VT gloves or PoTime book?
  8. snailish Augur

instaclick reclaim energy maybe what they were thinking was handy?
    Adonhiram likes this.
  9. Adonhiram Augur

It's not "my" site btw, I am a mage member like everyone at eqmagetower. I just requested from Jedis and Danille the opening of a TLP section to cover also the 'ancient' mage wisdom from the early expacs :)

1. Yes, Kindle is useless since SoF expansion and the reform of the fire pet. It was a fire pet mana regen buff at a time where fire pets had a mana pool and casted real lower level wizard spells. They are not anymore since SoF, their nuke is a proc and doesn't consume mana. It roots the pet too, but since SoF, fire pets autoroot on attack. And about the spell rune shield, I could never see it work, but I might be wrong. Of course I tried to Kindle the earth pet in the hope of having a paralyzed rooting pet which would hand me non summoning mobs on a tablet, guess what, doesn't work on other pets.

2. The answer is yes, as soon you get Vex Thal gloves (Minion of Darkness focus), your epic pet and the PoP pets refuse to equip summoned phantom plate, which means they are presummoned with something which has higher AC than the summoned plate. If you experiment with PoP pets on Agnarr, you'll notice your pets will accept phantom plate if you unequip your gloves. This is for mage pets, I don't know for necro pets but I doubt they get pre summoned plate in PoP era, even focused. So 61+ focused is quite correct, but you have to include the epic pet, and it works already with VT (Luclin) focus.
  10. Adonhiram Augur

Past classic-Kunark, the 'real' pet foci are meant to be powerful and hard to get. The best focus in era was meant to be only on high end gear, like VT gloves (the first real modern focus) or Bert range item. In LdoN, the devs threw a bone at pet classes with the (weaker) merchant bought pet focus on an augment. Groupable pet foci come later on in the game, but are usually out of era foci. Best example nowadays would be the Balancer Relik range item in RSS (OoW era) : groupable, but the pet focus is the Luclin one, which was a high end raid item in era. Later on, in SoF, the two gyrospires have groupable mobs which drop pet foci which used to be high end raid foci a few expacs before.

This is summarized in the "out of era drops" column in the table.
  11. Adonhiram Augur

Thanks very much, I can't edit anymore (eqmagetower allows editing your posts only freshly after posting), but I'll add a post to quote you and give the info.

--> Just did and quoted the info
  12. Adonhiram Augur

As every other focus, no pet focus stacks with another one, the best (if in spell level range) applies, point ;-) insta reclaim click is nice to kill pet instantly but with some mana return. VT gloves have that indeed, whereas all future focus items which are not an augment or a class quest armor piece will have Tiny Companion usually, see part I.
  13. Adonhiram Augur

Thanks, quoted you too on the eqmagetower thread. Yes, no reason it would work differently.