Personas: Let us "absorb" existing alts into personas and we'll buy the new expac.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Montag, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Montag Augur

A lot of tlp people don't bother with buying expacs because there's little to offer. Personas sounded like they'd be a good incentive but since you have to be in a fast camp zone to switch most people have lost enthusiasm.

But if we could absorb existing alts then it'b be worth it.

On established TLPs people already have the alt classes they want and don't want to redo epics, and chase items.

On new TLPs having your alts as a persona would be great for keys and flags.
  2. Micker99 Augur

I don't even know that I would want to do that. I couldn't park my alt where I was camping, to switch to them if I wanted to buff the group etc.. If I had a shaman alt say and I was playing my necro on that account. If I wanted to buff the group with shaman buffs, I would have to travel to a fast camp zone, switch to the shaman, get back to the camp, buff, go to a fast camp zone, switch to the necro, then make it back to the group and I would have to wait for the fellowship insignia to refresh. No thanks, I'll keep my alts.
  3. jiggity801 New Member

Even if this basic functionality existed, people wouldn't use it.

You don't get an experience bonus for leveling max level - Might as well have done an alt.
    You don't get additional storage space - Might as well have done an alt.
    You share lockout timers between personas - Might as well have done an alt.
    You can't delete personas if you want to have a different race/class combo - Might as well have done an alt.
    You Lore items can only exist on the character between all personas one time - Might as well have done an alt.

There is zero benefit to this Alternate Persona. It's basically having an alt, except it sucks more.
    Critt, Herf, Appren and 4 others like this.
  4. coltongrundy Augur

No, "we" won't. Speak for yourself. Alternate Persona is a useless feature. Actually, it's worse than a useless feature, it's detrimental to use when you could just use an alt character instead.
    Micker99, Appren and Froger like this.
  5. Froger Lorekeeper

Well said. AP needs to offer something thats more useful than playing an alt.
    Remove shared lockouts, exp bonus, share AA, let ppl make multiple copies of classes.
    Any of these things would bring many people onboard. As it stands now its many times worse than just playing an alt.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  6. Trevalon Augur

Yea personas seem a pretty huge fail so far. Kinda sad cause I think it had alot of good potential.

Give the persona half the AA of the main. So if the main has 6000 AAs the personas have 3000 base (Can grind more of course)

That would make the feature somewhat useful for filling in missing raid slots. But even then an alt is probably still better. But if it did that I would probably have a Healer or two personas for playing them when we were low on Druids or Shamans or Clerics or chanters :p ...or Wizards....
  7. Bernel Augur

There would be a lot of issues about what to do with the alt's gear, inventory, and bank. They'd probably have to delete everything just like if you deleted the character.
  8. Vikven New Member

I could see personas being useful if you could use one as a merc. Then absorbing an alt would make some sense.
    Micker99 and Montag like this.
  9. Vlady New Member

I don't see any use for them due to the fact its an alt. With the age of the game people have already made alts on many servers and this Persona thing with its current implementation is worse than an alt. All items are stored on one character vs extra slots on an alt plus extra bank. Only way people will buy into this is if:

1- You can funnel xp into a Persona via Slider AA style.
    2- Remove the swap being limited to Fast Camp areas.

Just nothing special with them, its leveling up a whole new character with the minor benefit of it having keys and flags already done.
  10. coltongrundy Augur

The only use I can see is to make cultural armor for other races without having to skill up another character, or a main change on the same account. Other than that, the inventory problems alone are enough to never use personas unless some significant benefits are added for personas
  11. -Vitality- New Member

This feature is not for those types of players though. If you already have a 3-6 box crew that you've had for years, why do you care about this feature at all?

That's like people who don't even tradeskill complaining about the Tradeskill Depot being a selling point of a recent expansion.

Personas are great for someone like me who already has 12k ach points (Mischief server) and NO alts yet. I've been soloing/moloing/grping since I've been on Mischief.

Being a tank in a very active guild I've never needed to box or make alts to do things, I have an entire guild who wants to do things.... BUT, things have slowed down recently and I'm finally catching up to the current achs. I get a little bored just logging in and having very little to do now.

Personas allows me to make an alt and keep all my stuff without looking at the /ach window and feeling like I'll never get anywhere. There's no way at this point in the game that I'd go back and do PoR hunters again for example.

Do I need to do that on an alt? No. Does my mind want every checkmark ever? Yes.
    Waring_McMarrin, OldTimeEQ1 and Herf like this.
  12. Herf Augur

It's even worse than that. It's a feature you have to pay to use, either by buying the expansion or by buying persona slots in the DB store. I'm not certain you can even buy them in the store if you don't have the expansion. So it's basically a feature that costs real money, and sucks.
  13. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

For Oakwynd, Personas bring zero value.

For 25th year TLP, it should be interesting!
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't have to pay anything beyond the expansion purchase this year unless you want more personas then come with the expansion version that you purchased. Every expansion feature requires you to purchase the expansion in order to use it.
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

Can we buy the expansion without it to save money?
    Herf and Micker99 like this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can't buy the expansion without one of the features they are advertising to sell the expansion.
  17. CdeezNotes Augur

Did you not realize it was facetious?
    Herf likes this.
  18. Oldeqplayer Journeyman

Remember that guy who got sacked for his redesign of Freeport! He's back - he came up with the idea of personas!

Seriously though, what was the design team pitch that made personas sound like a good idea? Would love to hear what about this idea sold the dev team to do it.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Oh, God, no. :confused:

Awful idea.
  20. Bernel Augur

I wonder at what point the decision was made to have them be fast-camp only swapping? The swap-anywhere personas we had in beta were awesome. I was looking forward to adding swap-anywhere personas to my characters to give them some QoL enhancements. If that was the original vision, that would have been worth it and I can understand why they went with it. I'm sure there would be some people who were in the "Personas are the devil!" camp, but it would be a fun feature regardless. I would have enjoyed using it in the same way I enjoy other QoL enhancements like mercs and PoK. But if the original idea was to only allow swaps in fast-camp zones, I'm not sure why they would have decided to implement it. That would have too limited appeal for the amount of work it would take to implement.
    Defenestrated Vase likes this.