Permafrost sucks for collection quest.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Herf, May 18, 2024.

1. Herf Augur

This will be the first month when I don't even try to get my toons the ground spawns for the collection achievement. Manouvering around the tunnels and hidden areas is just not worth it for the drops.

It should have been in Everfrost. A big zone like that would be annoying, but still better than Perma.
  2. Varillian Singer of Bad Songs

I found Unrest more difficult - but, yes, an open zone without several levels would be nicer.
  3. Herf Augur

I eqipped about 18 toons from Unrest. Initially it was a pain, but then I started searching the maze and ignoring everything past the underground lava trap and it was pretty painless. There were always quite a few drops/spawns in the maze.
  4. Hekaton Augur

i found that most in permafrost ended up in the deepest part of the zone where the polar bears are. could always find some up in the goblin prison area as well
    Herf likes this.
  5. Herf Augur

Thanks for the tip.
  6. Nightops Augur

The collections wouldn't be soo bad if they did away with the 'rare' one in the set. Getting 10+ of 7 different drops and then 2 of the rare makes these collects not fun.
    Herf, CatsPaws, Vumad and 2 others like this.
  7. Sam Hyde I'm a monster but not an NPC

Absolutely. Same goes with all other collection sets. It's actually insane to have a rare of every set. It removes the incentive to trade with your peers and instead puts an emphasis on automated farming for bazaar sales. Imagine if they simply leveled the drop rates among all 8 collects per set, so that what's rare to you is uncommon to the next guy, and you can WTT in general chat. Currently, this doesn't happen because everyone is after the same rare. And what happens when the next expansion comes out? You can just get the rare from Overseer, totally defeating the purpose of making it rare.

Equalize the drop chance. Make them all the same drop rate.

Edit: Furthermore!... Having rare collects actually punishes full group play and rewards people who, for example, 2 box with 2 mercs out. They have a really easy time. But getting 6 rare collects? That can take DAYS if you play with friends who have conflicting free time.
    Xyroff-cazic., CatsPaws, Iven and 2 others like this.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

Thx for the information about a new collection. All of them are annoying, and the Barren Coast one was the least annoying so far. Got it officially announced at all ?
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I think we are talking different collections. Barren Coast is not in this feature. But it is in Tempest Festival.

These collections pop the first of the month every month for whatever that tower zone will be and are only available in the month they go active.

The actual monthly quest are activated in the patch on the third Wed. I think the only official announcement is just the original.

EQ Resouce has a good listing so you can get a jump start on the collections each month

https://special.eqresource.com/yearofdarkpaw.php
    Fenthen likes this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Thank you CatsPaws, that is really helpfull. Sadly I missed BB already. CoM and VL should be fun. ;)
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Does anyone know if there's going to be some sort of overal reward for these tower collections? I mean, they're kinda pointless...just busy work. They only give currency, no AA. I honestly see no point in wasting time with them.
    Zaray likes this.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

They are just something for completionists I think. And they do add achievement points. The whole idea might be to add another timesink, to keep the players busy.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

[IMG]
    Zaray likes this.
  14. Iven the Lunatic

Was grinding about two hours in Permafrost and only got one complete collection set so far. Can anyone confirm that the PC (player) zone count does increase the spawn rate ? As I do also farm Permafrost Crystals, it would be handy if the mobs would also drop the collectibles randomly.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I am usually the only one in the zone and the respawn is fast. There is not enough time to get from one to the other before the first one respawns.

In other zones when many players are there then the spawns are picked up before you can get to them.

If you spent 2 hours there then you spent too much time killing. Its easy to get a full set (minus that one rare one argh!) in far less time than that. Focus man, focus!!

All of the Tower collects are ground spawns, which is fitting since many levels participate. I would not like to go in as a level 125 and wipe the zone just for collects. Would get a bad rep from the players who adventure in that zone per level.
  16. Toukan Augur

I was ok with running back and forth, but I wish they'd bring the purple ones back. Easier to see on the ice.
    Velisaris_MS and Nennius like this.
  17. Iven the Lunatic

Well, I did other stuff beside that like finding and marking all locs on my map, and I wasn't the only player in the zone. Next time it will be faster, but the zone layout is still a bit tricky. Unrest was so much easier and I was able to get eight sets in the same amount of time while being more focused. The respawn rate in Permafrost is just horrible slow. The biggest issue of collection achievements is that they are not alt friendly, and personas are no alternative to me.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  18. CrazyLarth Augur

lots of comment posts about locs you can add if you dont have the clicky finder

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=12931

what I ended up doing was doing a circle up top and drop down and then back up threw the raid room.
  19. Razorfall Augur

with the item that marks collectibles on the map, it wasn't too bad. I bet it's a pain without it unless you have spawn points marked on your map (like how goodurden used to make before the clicky finder came out)
  20. Iven the Lunatic

Added my own list to ZAM with 64 known spawn locations.
    CrazyLarth and Nennius like this.