PCGamer posts short review of Coirnav from first timer perspective

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jeskola, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Brunnt ForceTrauma Lorekeeper

Been reading a lot of your posts lately. You seem like a /ton/ of fun at a party, friend.
    TLP Addict likes this.
  2. Kronotowin Elder

All of the game review companies are paid for by game companies. Nothing is impartial, every opinion is paid for.
    Chatoyan and Robomax like this.
  3. Atomos Augur

Who, pray tell, paid for this review?
  4. Atomos Augur

The problem is that you're viewing this from your own perspective, and not someone who is playing a nearly 20 year old game for the first time. You're not likely to find people completely new to Everquest, and it's safe to assume you yourself have been playing for quite some time. The truth is, Everquest's starting experience is incredibly bland and boring. And that was okay 20 years ago, when there wasn't really a lot of option on the MMO market. And the only reason it's still okay for people like you and I is that we have the benefit of nostalgia. We KNOW that the game becomes more fun. We're a bit numb to the fact that at the start of the game all you really do is watch yourself auto attack mobs, and you aren't really playing a game yet. No one new to Everquest has any reason to stick around when there are tons of other MMOs that are much more involved and exciting right from the start. If I were to start a new character on Everquest right now, I'd probably spend more time alt-tabbed reading the internet or watching something while I auto attack mobs than actually looking at the game screen. That's not something you can do in most other MMOs. And that's not something that someone who didn't play older MMOs when they were relevant is going find acceptable.
  5. Hinastorm86 Augur

I laughed out loud when he mentioned it being hard to get around Erudin. While from his perspective as a wow player, he is right, i'd love to see a reaction video of him dropped into new freeport.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Erudin is brutal tbh. The zones within zones is rough. Back in the day it also took a long time! Im not sure freeport is as difficult although it is large.

Erudin is 3 zones i think with mysterious port platforms and almost has a funhouse design with the mirror image spots to turn a newbie in circles.
  7. NoWay Augur

Wow player trying to make Wow good. Disregard
  8. mesocornaiv Lorekeeper

I still get lost in Erudin palace, but the new freeport is a thing of nightmares.
  9. ntellect Augur

10. ntellect Augur

Well... I guess the first thing I should learn is how to post :p
    Kryptonniq likes this.
  11. mesocornaiv Lorekeeper

EQ is kind of garbage until almost level 30. By 30, your class has most of the core abilities they will get before Luclin. Canni for shaman, Feign death for monk/nec/sk, Rez for cleric, charm for enc, Ports for wiz/druid., Dual wield for melees, and more. The important part is once you get to 20+ the grouping game becomes way more of a thing. Everyone has to play their roles. Tanks are actually tanking most of the time, crowd control is doing CC, pullers pulling, and healers healing consistently. With every expansion, EQ becomes more and more dynamic and grouping becomes a bit more demanding. It is definitely an interesting journey to play a class from Classic to the Golden age of EQ, and even further to the Modern age.
  12. discordkitty Augur

I swear they mentioned Coirnav but actually played project 1999.
  13. mesocornaiv Lorekeeper

Yea. I kind of feel like he never played EQ, but heard about stuff like corpse runs from people years ago. Logged in for 30 mins and ran around, but never got into combat or died.
  14. A_New_Cleric Journeyman

Erudin can be a PITA to navigate, but nothing compared to Freeport ... ugh ...