PC Ram

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Well, I need to pick some brains.

First of all I'm confused on G.Skill model numbers.
    Second, "B-die"
    Third, single rank dual rank. (not duel channel).

So, I have a Ryzen 5600x CPU.
    ...and an ASUS X570 board.
    I have been told about not getting RAM past 3800Mhz due to AGESA (part of BIOS update).

Now then, I have AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0 version. this is new.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced their ram on X570 boards with the AGESA to get past 3800Mhz .

Questions:
    I have 3600 CL16 19 19 38 ram now.
    I don't like the timings of my kit. I read that if the timings are not close they aren't "B die''.
    I am looking at some 4000Mhz ram CL 17 or CL15!

F4-4000C15D-16GTZR

F4-4000C17D-16GTZRB

F4-4000C15D-16GVK

4 I believe is DDR 4 4000 is Mhz.. Don't know what C is. 15 or 17 is CL. Not sure what D is. 16 is GB and G is GB. Tz is Trident Z. not sure what V is or K. R is RGB but RB? R rbg and B for B die?

Am I close?
    Any difference between both 15cl's except one is RGB other is Black? Maybe micro vs b die ?

Does it matter if it is B-die
    Does it matter if it is Duel Rank

If money was no restriction ($250 for a 16 GB is most I'll pay).
    what do you recommend?
  2. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

My best advice for picking Ram is to check the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for your Motherboard and use which ever 4000 model is listed on the QVL.

Not knowing the exact model of Asus MB you have, I did a quick look at the ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, it lists F4-4000C17D-16GTZR as one of the qualified sets. Check the list for your specific motherboard model and see which of those it has on it.

If the Ram you already have is running at 3600 mhz, you probably won't see much of a difference in performance jumping up to 4000 mhz Ram. It may give you a slight increase but for the most part you won't even be able to tell the difference in actual performance. If you have the 3600 kit but you can't get it to run at 3600 mhz, then ya I would probably look into getting a different set that can run at that speed or higher.

The whole B-Die and Single/Duel Rank is mainly just a way to determine compatibility. The B-Die's are more likely to run at the rated speeds on AMD's. If your memory is already running at the rated 3600 mhz it's probably B-Die or you just got lucky with which ever model you picked. Either way it doesn't make a difference if it's running at the correct speed.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

"B-die" is a specific type of Samsung memory chip. They are generally 8GB sticks with C14 timings. They are valued because they were particularly high quality and thus can be clocked at higher speeds.

Rank refers to how many packages of memory chips are on your memory. So you can have a stick where all chips are part of a single rank, or two ranks or 4 ranks. Your motherboard has a limit to how many ranks it can talk to at any given time. If your MB can talk to 4 ranks, then you can use 4 single rank memory sticks, or 2 dual rank memory sticks. If you use 4 dual rank sticks it will still work, BUT it will take 2 cycles for your computer to use all the memory, not 1.

Gskill models numbers: [IMG]
  4. Tyreel Augur

I really do not think it is worth upgrading your memory unless you have money to burn.
    Getting your ram timings lower is going to provide more than upgrading a few hundred mhz.

With Ryzen there is a limit on how fast you can clock your memory before you lose performance if you even can go higher than 3800mhz. DDR4 ram is double data rate meaning a 3800mhz kit is running 1900mhz twice per cycle. There is a setting called FCLK in bios and it is exceedingly hard and/or rare to get Ryzen 3000 or 5000 chips to run stable over 1900mhz FCLK it is just a limitation of the processors(you might see this referred to as 1:1:1 mode). When you get ram running more than double the FCLK you need to get speeds upwards of 4600mhz to 5000mhz+ to avoid losing performance. Parts of the processor/memory are no longer in sync and you end up waiting potentially close to half a clock cycle for something to process at 4000mhz.

If you are comfortable changing settings in bios watch.

This will provide a complete guide to overclocking and getting the most out of the memory you have. Note with ram overclocking it is entirely luck of the draw your current memory could easily clock to 3800mhz and drop timings down to CL 14 14 14 31 or you may have ram that can barely meet the rated specification.

TLDR; there is little reason to have ram faster than 3800mhz for ryzen 5000/3000 series.

If you want to extract the ultimate performance from your computer and do not care about the cost i would go with F4-4000C15D-16GVK and run it at 3800mhz and use the info from the video to get your timings low as possible.
    Niskin and Beimeith like this.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Tyreel nailed it, that's exactly how you should approach it.

For example, I have a 2700X, with a max FCLK of 1600mhz, but my RAM is 3466mhz. So I run it at 3200mhz and overclock the timings since the RAM is already capable of more than what I'm using it at.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

3800X here, using 3600mhz ram. I could probably push it a little harder, but it's already crazy fast vs my old system.

Rumer says at the end of this year ryzen 4 will have 35-40% gains, and 5 will have the same.

Exciting times in the computer world. Given how things were the last decade we were due for some.