patch files needed for xp users

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by 123shamen, Oct 18, 2017.

1. 123shamen New Member

anyone post patch files yet ?
  2. toodlem Elder

Once again, us poor/stubborn folk, wait on Bigfan to come through where Daybreak fails. God Bless Him. You are not alone 123shamen.... 4 accounts here just waiting.
  3. 123shamen New Member

yeah i gotta update this comp .it was given to me its a great gaming comp but i gotta get info on it and see what i can upgrade and stuff
  4. Bigfan Augur

I am at work, so chances of me being able to do anything before lunch AEST (2 hours) is zero.

Really should consider upgrading your OS :p .

Hrkgame.com has cheap windows 10, so no excuse.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. Surashu New Member

Just a minor note; on a lot of XP machines, you can't install Windows 8/10, since the CPUs usually lack the NX bit.
  6. Bigfan Augur

I bought pent core 2 q9550 for 30 AUD, and spare parts.

In total I may have spend 200$ cause I like ssds, and more ram. This is now being used as a TV PC, but it's totally over powered for it.

There is no excuse to be on a 16 year old os.
  7. spanky003 New Member

computer runs EQ just fine why pay more money for somethign that is not needed. I bought a version of windows once bill gates doesnt need more of my money! OS may be 16 years old but the 2 computers i use it on are 2005 and 2008.
    toodlem likes this.
  8. Xelera New Member

I'm buying/building a new comp soon, but in the middle of trying to build a house and move in by next June, so money very tight right now. Not an arrogance thing, just "a couple hundred" dollars is still pretty well spoken for most times until then. I play this because at $15/month, it's very affordable entertainment, and even free as silver if say, one month to the next, i may be even tighter. Meanwhile, my 2001'ish alienware (before they sold) all original parts, still playing eq fine, even on raids, with graphics minimum, and XP OS. Maybe I can go donate plasma... =P
    toodlem likes this.
  9. Xelera New Member

And we do appreciate you making the patch available in spite of ourselves and Daybreak...
    toodlem likes this.
  10. Bigfan Augur

11. toodlem Elder

12. LongTimePlayer New Member

hi BigFan - I dont often use the forums for posting but I have been playing EQ continuously since Ruins of Kunark was released. I started on Brell and am now an old timer on Zek. I wanted to thank you for all the hard work you are doing with the XP patches which I use every month. Without your help I would have had to quit EQ because I have to use XP for legacy software for work. So it is hugely appreciated and I am sure there are many others out there who owe you thanks. So once again thank you from one of the silent lurkers on EQ !!!
    toodlem likes this.
  13. mossypelt Journeyman

Cheers bigfan - i use windows 10, but recently the patcher hasn't been working for me (loads the text but no images, and apparently recognises a patch but doesnt download it either... something i'll need to get to the bottom of). Anyhow, thanks for the upload - I do think users on xp need to upgrade (arguing that your comp can play EQ without it is a moot point as you can't patch and that has always been required to play - you shouldn't rely on (and even expect!) other players to find time to upload patches.
  14. tuda Lorekeeper

clearly a new one is needed, since you cant play the current version of EQ using the patch provided by the company. How is that running EQ just fine?
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

WannaCry. Look it up.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The "bypassing the launcher"-workaround won't work forever. Keeping the client itself winxp-compatible is not a priority for DBG any longer, you are playing on borrowed time.
  17. TedorRick New Member

I hope this is what I think it is. All newb stuff aside for a sec, I had to watch this game I still adore STOP running on my XP professional machine (and my true game rig is 10 yeah) but it saddened me greatly.
    Ummm... I took down this patch that was offered only I cannot even get the Launcher to respond and reinstall the game much less get it to run. What do I do with this patch ? I get so many errors in looong grey boxes it's rediculous. Ultimately the backsplash of the launcher opens but it's gutted and there's a message that the Launcher couldn't connect ... any direction would be appreciated. Ty ))

Kinda thrilled to see that I might can still use the machine to run EQ maybe... this great machine. FAST!

TedorRick
  18. Inca Lorekeeper

Why won't EQ run on my Commodore 64? Boodilyhoodilyboodilyhoo!
  19. Inca Lorekeeper

About the same distance of time between the Commodore64 and Windows XP has passed as has Windows 10 been distanced from XP. Y'all need to get your sheet together.
  20. Zyltas New Member

They released a free update to fix the wannacry vulnerability in win xp, but the amount of other things you are open to...
    At the end of the day upgrading to a modern OS is the wisest choice one can make.