Passing of a longtime EQ player

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Franchise, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Franchise New Member

Looking to pass this along for anyone who may have crossed paths with my brother over the past 15+ years while playing EQ. His first character was Koopster, but he had many alts and boxes along the way including Kontra, Lichdot, Rolex, etc. We spent most of our time playing on the Luclin server, with stints on TLP launches all the way through until his passing last week. He was a member of Township Rebellion for quite some time, and I hope this message gets to those who knew him.

EverQuest was a world for him to just be himself and escape some of the troubles that followed him throughout his personal life, and I will be forever grateful to the EQ community for giving him that peace he so often needed. You have no idea how much this game meant to him and to me, as it allowed us enjoy hanging out together and remembering back to simpler times in both of our lives. There is a Velious-size scar in my heart that is going to take a long time to heal, but I will never forget what EQ brought into our lives.

RIP Koop
  2. Kelset Elder

Sorry for your loss, may the positive memories outweigh the pain in your heart.
  3. feeltheburn Augur

Kontra the monk?
  4. Franchise New Member

Yes he played a monk on most TLPs but also SHM ROG CLR NEC
  5. dalser New Member

I'm so sorry to read this and I feel for your loss. I will miss him. He always made me laugh and he was fun to play EQ with. May you always remember the good times, the fun times, and when he was happy.
  6. The real Sandaormo Augur

I knew him as Kontra in Township Rebellion.
    Sorry for you and your Family's loss.
  7. Metanis Bad Company

Sorry for your loss! May he rest in peace!
  8. Tharkis Princess

Very sad to hear this, Kontra and I used to group together a lot during his time in TR.

My sincere condolences to you and your family =(
    Leerah likes this.
  9. lefous Elder

very sad i use to group alote whit kontra and always say every 1 got a price! good old memory
    My sincere condolences to you and your family
  10. Zvenn Just an old monk

i knew him as Kontra the monk, great guy, loved talking monk shop with him in my days on Luclin...will definitely be missed
  11. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Sorry for your loss.

Kontra was a longtime player on Luclin. He will be missed.
  12. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Kontra, for those that knew him was definitely a presence in Everquest. He was a member of Township Rebellion for many years before he caught the TLP bug, which reduced his time on live for the most part to short visits while waiting for new TLP servers. Prior to joining us in TR, he was in Five Rings with my mother and remembered her kindly and with fondness, and it was a joy to have someone that shared in those memories. A fellow Canadian, he also loved spending time on the water, football, and we spent many hours talking about food and cooking together.

He was a very dynamic member of the Monk Army (tm) for a very long time, and while he is often remembered for his boisterous personality, many across the TR and larger EverQuest community also counted him as a friend. May he rest easily and well, and find the peace that so often eluded him in his earthly form. While he eventually traveled to other places towards the end of his EverQuest career, his memory will live on as part of TR, in our memories and remembrance of him.

Our condolences to your family, from our family. May you find solace and comfort in these difficult times.
  13. Zolav Augur

Oh my.. sad news :(

I was certain we would cross paths again to butt heads and share some laughs and totally wreck some parses. You were an outstanding player with a large presence in Norrath.

I won't lie this news kinda floored me as you were a huge help to me in my time in Township Rebellion and since then we would talk time to time

I hope you can find some peace brother, wherever you may be..
    minimind and Leerah like this.
  14. AnselAdams Fix Levi in Fire

I'm sorry for your loss. I had been meaning to follow up with him to see where he was playing because I had heard he wasn't around on Aradune anymore. I had also noticed he had been dark on discord for a while but didn't really think anything of it. This is a good reminder that we shouldn't wait to check in with friends.

I have some great memories of Kontra both from being on the same team and time spent engaging in relatively toxic play against each other across several servers. He had an enjoyment of winning at all costs that really resonated with me. I certainly enjoyed it every time he sent me the krono split. He was a really nice guy and he will be missed.
    Leerah likes this.
  15. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Played with Kontra a ton over the past 4-5 years on Phinigel, Quarm, Selo. He was a real character and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but had a knack for speaking that would just make me burst out laughing sometimes at how he would call people out when others are tiptoeing around a subject. Really sad to hear I won't see him on any future servers :(
    Rajaah, Leerah, Rand al`Thor and 3 others like this.
  16. Astral64 Augur

Had many wild times with Kontra over the years.

He will be missed.

We will tell his story.
    Grove, Leerah, Rand al`Thor and 2 others like this.
  17. HicksAradune Augur

played with Kontra the last couple of TLPs, The guy was Frustrating, annoying, funny, skillful and awful at being a monk all at the same time! Would'nt have had him any other way though - it was his unique personality which i think we all enjoyed playing with.

Thoughts are with you in these tough times.
  18. malaki Augur

I first met Kontra on Phinigel when were both gnome wizards in AoS. We had many conversations about many topics and life in general over the years since. This is very sad and a real loss for the community.
    Rand al`Thor likes this.
  19. Bahdah Augur

Sorry for your loss. I too had some wild adventures with Kontra, though very little, he still stood out to me.

My condolences to you and your family.
  20. Lisard Silly

had tells with kontra on occasion. deeply sorry for your loss. sleep well kontra.