Partially resisted slow

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by DuchessElindra, Dec 23, 2013.

1. DuchessElindra Elder

I dont get how it works.
    1- Is it a % reduced from the spell, like shaman will only slow for 37, enchanters for 32 and bards for 25?
    2- Is it a cap speed under which the mob cant go like if its 65% speed than bards, chanters or shamen will drop it to this point?
    3- Is it a mix of both and each slow has a "cap" number linked to the spell or the class?
  2. Yther Augur

Don't think anyone knows for sure, but I take it as a % loss of some amount of the slow, just like how damage is mitigated via AC so that you drop 5% increments of the variable part of the damage.

Definitely not 2. Haste and Slow are the same line, but negative numbers (Slows) take precedence no matter how strong of a Haste. For example, a mob hasted 100% that gets with a 10% slow, will be 10% slowed and not hasted until the slow wears off. Now if part of this was mitigated, it means some portion of that 10% doesn't work, but it will still be slows 0 upto a possible 10%, but more likely something less than 10%. Even if the haste buff wears off before the slow, the total amount of slow stays the same.

Hope that makes some sense.

Yther Ore.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I don't have the numbers in front of me but they are uniform across classes.
    The way it works is that you have the % of the slow and then various possible % reductions of that a:mount; depends on what it says like "partial".
    Using made up numbers. If a base slow was 70% and partial reduced it by 50% it would be 35% slow.
  4. Mithrandyr Augur

The common belief is that the mitigation is 1/4 1/2 3/4 of slow % for slightly partially mostly slowed. Although I've heard that those aren't completely correct, I believe they are in the right ballpark. The one I most often see is partially (half effective) so around 37.5%, 35%, 25.5% for shm, enc, bard.
  5. Borek-VS Augur

You can think of it as any level of slow always cancels all haste.
  6. DuchessElindra Elder

My point was:
    On fully slowed mobs the 50, 70 or 75% makes hell of a difference.
    However I had the feeling lately (exactly in Valley's Soldiers) I wasn't feeling much a difference when Enchanter's slow hit (bard was slowing while pulling). So I was wondering if with bard slow the mobs weren't already at "cap slowed speed" and than the enchanter wouldn't even have to bother casting slow.
  7. code-zero Augur

If the Soldier's have a haste that the Bard's slow is overwriting it will be difficult to notice much difference without a lot of parsing
  8. Mithrandyr Augur

I think the problem is that the slow just isn't noticeable after mitigation. At partial effectiveness, enchanter slow would be around 35% and bard would be around 27.5%. It might be that you just don't really notice the extra 7.5% from the enchanter slow. I read recently (and I can't remember exactly where) that current parses showed that slow was slightly less effective than the 25/50/75 model. So that 7.5% difference might actually be more like 5%. Granted 5% is noticeable but it's more of a "this mob hits really hard" scenario where you wonder if you lost some of your buffs or if the merc is on efficient.
  9. DuchessElindra Elder

Whats the deal with mitigation?
  10. Borek-VS Augur

Read the thread!

In short, many/most mobs from Omens onwards give a red message when slowed, with varying text. So they are slowed, but by less than if the slow wasn't mitigated. It is generally accepted by most people that the slow has only partial effect, so that a shaman slow is still more slow than an enchanter (and so on down the line for beastlord and bard and other slowing effects).

The overall effect is that it makes less difference which class you have slowing for you, and slow no longer is a required rebuff for all groups - until you get to the edge of your groups level/AA/gear's effectiveness.