Parsing: Raid-wide instead of distance based?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by PathToEternity, Oct 22, 2020.

1. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

EDIT: I really should have used the word "Logging" in the title instead of "Parsing" but I can't edit the title. Cleaned up the most though to make this a little more clear.

I don't know the best way to request this, but over the past couple of years it seems like the devs have been putting a lot of effort into improving logging for parsing purposes. It seems to me that one easy (from an observational perspective, I can't speak to coding) sweeping change would be that anything combat/damage/casting/healing/etc related would stop relying on distance to check whether it's reported/logged or not and instead simply report/log raid-wide within the same zone (or uhh zone-wide if in the same raid, I guess).

Is there currently any push for this? Maybe I'm not wording it right. I can be a lot more specific if needed. Reporting/logging has gotten incrementally more reliable lately but this seems like it would fix so many problems in a single fell swoop.

Argument + Request: It's really frustrating to have conflicting logs between players simply from standing in different places in a raid. Can we get this changed?
    Szilent likes this.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This would mean server-side parsing would need to occur, or they change the game engine to show damage to anyone in raid.

I would favor either one, but don't hold your breath for it.
    PathToEternity likes this.
  3. Xyphen Maximum Augur

The issue of server-side logging/calculating is probably scalability and storage, and even then it wouldn't be perfect enough to be a clear substitute to local logging.

They obviously have the clear picture of who does what damage to a mob as that's a critical component to determining who/what gets kill credit + xp. Whether they have the overhead to aggregate that and run another calculation on top of it is questionable... especially since they've raised concern over the consolidation of swarm pets due to raid lag.

A more feasible solution is for GamParse to do log consolidation, where you can pool individual raid members' logs to fill in gaps. This would be a nice web service to write (people upload their logs and it runs a function against it).