Parsing program

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by SiZZLESLAPs, Dec 3, 2019.

1. SiZZLESLAPs New Member

I was told it is illegal to use parsing programs on EQ1. Is that true? It was common place for people to use them in EQ2. If they are fine to use, what is a good parser to use?
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

3. Tucoh Augur

Gamparse is against a strict interpretation of the current EQ rules, but everyone uses it.
  4. Zanarnar Augur

I .. am going to need you to quote the rule its "technically" against. As it doesn't interact with the EQ Client in any way, its no more "using a 3rd party program" then the anti-virus installed on your computer (which ALSO reads files when they're changed or added new!)

Log parsers like GAMParse and GINA (or similar programs) are, as far as I'm aware, totally fine to use and aren't even in a grey area. They're simply OK to use.

When you run afoul is 3rd party programs either intercepting and decoding data meant for the client to show you things you shouldn't see (something like the infamous EQ live map program that will go unnamed) or send commands and updates to the server pretending to be the client (another unnamed tool that we all know by 3 letters).

Programs that input keyboard or mouse commands, also run afoul of this if it automates gameplay. Binding an action to a mouse click won't cause you any problems. Creating a macro on your smart keyboard/whatever that plays the game for you unattended? ya thats a paddling (and a ban/suspension)

I've never heard of, or seen, where a simple log parser is against their rules. I could be wrong though and am open to being proven so! :)
  5. Tucoh Augur

I agree with your interpretation, but I also don't interpret their rules of conduct strictly and they don't generally enforce them. Proving one way or the other is impossible because DBG employs probably the least effective enforcement and communication strategy I've ever seen by keeping quiet about everything, which is partially why cheating is so common.