Pally Balance?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hostility, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

His "observational science" is "using your imagination". Not really worth the breath at this point man.
    Quuq and Silv like this.
  2. Quuq Apprentice

Hey guy, what are you, anti-science or something?
  3. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Just ask the Scienticians, they know all:
    Elricvonclief and Quuq like this.
  4. Silv Augur

Sheex broke out the Simpsons finally. I think this thread is about a page away from a lock!?
    Elricvonclief, Quuq and Nightops like this.
  5. Reval Augur

Aah, so one paladin must eat another to survive. That's why they can't take raid bosses. It's their feeble diet. Step up your game, you heroic charisma maxing jerks!
    Quuq likes this.
  6. Nightops Augur

I'm farming....errr... waiting for it.
  7. Zamiam Augur

I dont raid .. at least not like most people think of raiding .. i might do a pickup raid or go out with my guild few times here and there .. but I wonder if one reason they made the change to knights is due to server population and not enough Warriors to fill the need for Raids .. making all Tanks = gives Raiding guilds more options when it comes to MT .. ?
  8. Gnomeland Augur

Defensive Proficiency wasn't even the source of the problem.

It was Last Stand, which was previously called Defensive, and was just as bad/worse for game balance than Defensive Proficiency, because it forced developers to build raid content around it for 15 years.

Had they simply removed Defensive/Last Stand from Warriors early on, we would've been able to prevent 15 years of bad tank balance by virtue of forcing developers to think about where they want to go with the Warrior class, instead of just saying, "well you have Last Stand" when ever the issue came up.

Then, 14 years after Last Stand, Elidroth decided that he's going to listen to a few Warriors and give them an always-on version of Last Stand.

One year of that later, and developers have already had enough trying to make content challenging for both Knights and always-on Last Stand Warriors.

The problem is obvious, and has been the same problem through all this time: you cannot give one tank class vastly higher damage reduction than other tanks, and still hope for balance. It cannot be done, because the basic tank-heal system cannot work with it. Even 10% extra damage reduction results in every guild using the 10% tank over the 0% tank regardless of whether the 0% is able to "heal himself." That's because heals can never make up for damage reduction when it comes to how well tanks survive against difficult monsters.

In fact, for heals to balance out damage reduction, the heal tank needs higher total health, as well as higher heal returns from other people's heals. Only then can you actually make a heal tank and a reduction tank survive equally well. But we all know in Everquest, Warriors have equal/higher health than other tanks AND higher heal returns than Shadow Knights. There is thus a basic design problem in Everquest with respect to its tank classes, and as the game's main difficulty comes from the tank-heal system, this problem breaks the game.

This is why, for 15 years, only Warriors were seen as main raid tanks, and why eventually Knights had to receive Warrior damage reduction abilities. The basic balance was never solid, and as such every new ability they built on top of it, made the problem worse. In the end, the best solution would've been to take away all damage reduction abilities from every tank class, and then start again. But it's too late for that.
    Seldom, Vtull, Elricvonclief and 2 others like this.
  9. shiftie Augur

Anyone remember about 3 years ago when Eli was going to do away with last stand? This is the culmination of that...
  10. p2aa Augur

You act like it's intended that Knights be able to MT Raid Bosses like warriors, It's not intended, so the damage reduction tank is right to require less heal than the other on hard hitting mobs.
  11. Warpeace Augur

Glad your either on the Board of Directors or in every Daybreak meeting to know exactly WHAT WAS INTENDED.

Guess some cant get over it and move on...

Let me help you a bit...just a bit. You don't even have to like what it says but you know its a direct Quote from Daybreak on this subject and every other tank or Knight thread your rambling on in.

Now the real question is what is the real goal of Daybreak here with this. Are Knights supposed to get a boost to be better as an off tank or bumped up to main tank parity. You should take special notice how they left it rather vague in their statement "We want to make Paladins and Shadowknights more effective at the things they ought to be doing." They can still reduce what they gave Knights or even increase it.

By the way this didn't make it so Warriors cant MT or are still not preferred as a MT. It was Daybreaks decision "We want to make Paladins and Shadowknights more effective at the things they ought to be doing."
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  12. Kobrah Augur

This makes no sense because you then say.

If there were no defensive proficiency, mobs would be tuned around last stand. Knights have holy / unholy which is 10% difference but still a viable discipline vs a boss and then their utility would come into play to cover the difference. Everything would be more balanced. Wars are ahead on mitigation. Knights close second. Giving a permanent 30% mitigation to one class is unbalancing tanking. Remove defensive proficiency, balance around it, and you will see things even out. Right now the easiest way for them to balance things with a skeleton dev crew is to add proficiency to knights without having wars cry or changing the past 2? years of raid encounters to compensate for no DP.
  13. Rogero Journeyman

I stick to the hot zones leveling up -- and I don't fight a lot of undead -- so right or wrong, I pretty much think Pallys and Clerics are useless. I will take my SK's taps over Pally heals/stuns anytime...
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

His opinion Shall be law and conclusions will be jumped to. Accept it, peon!
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  15. p2aa Augur

And what they ought to do is raid tanking add, not Raid Boss MT parity. It has been the model since forever.
  16. p2aa Augur

All the posts you have done in tank balance content are troll ones, that bring nothing.
    Keep on i'm sure you will get the award at the end of this year.
  17. Gnomeland Augur

I'm talking about the entire course of the 15 years. Unholy/Holy Guardian were added in 2013, less than three years ago. Defensive Proficiency was added in 2014, less than two years ago. The first was added because of problems created by Last Stand. The second was added because of problems created by the first - ie Warriors saying they're now useless, just as they're saying today. The source of the problem was always Last Stand. It only became Defensive Proficiency because Warriors moved their advantage to it after the developers tried to take it away by giving Unholy/Holy Guardian to Knights. Tank balance in Everquest has always been this way: Warriors getting a damage reduction ability that put them way ahead of Knights, and then developers having to give it to Knights later because it made content too hard to design.
    Ravengloome likes this.