Paladin

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by rajuncajun, Sep 24, 2018.

1. rajuncajun Lorekeeper

Most topics i see around here are Warrior or Sk.

was thinking of making a pally but are they that far behind Warrior or SK.?

and how do they stack up against Warrior and SK.?

Any advantages for pally.?
  2. Dreadmore Augur

The paladin epic quest is a lot more fun than warrior or shadow knight quests.
  3. Allayna Augur

[IMG]
    Brohg likes this.
  4. p8aa Elder

Why this kind of thread only exists in tank section of the forum ?
    You never see for example such thread:
    "Druid
    was thinking of making a druid, but are they that far behind Cleric or Shaman ?
    And how do they stack up against clerics and shamans ?
    Any advantage for druids ?"
    To the OP, i'm sorry to troll your thread, but we have seen the same thread type in this section of forum countless times.
    The most reasonable answer is that play the tank class that you prefer. Paladins are doing well atm in the game.
  5. sojero One hit wonder

Yes they do, often in fact:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/best-moloing-priest.248524/

its on the first page of threads, good lord man, take a break, you really need one.

To the original post, paladins are in a really decent place with the last round of buffs to them.
  6. p8aa Elder

It hasn't at all the same tone. The OP of this thread doesn't ask specifically how a class is doing versus the other 2.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Highly dubious.
  8. gotwar Gotcharms

All three tanks are in a great spot right now. Some might even say too good. You really can't go wrong, so you'll want to pick whichever one floats your own personal boat.

The major downsides to the Paladin are:
    • Your DPS is just so, so bad compared to the other two tanks. There's some really niche situations vs Undead where you can come out on top, but ~95% of the time you're getting schooled by the other two tanks, who have very competitive DPS at the moment.
    • Your "swarm-type" mitigation and survivability is awful. You don't have an effective way to mitigate lots of little hits from a gaggle of mobs. This doesn't mean you can't do Drogbaa-style OP videos of swarm pulls in current content, but it does mean you have to be a lot more familiar with your buttons and know that your limit is less than what an SK/War is capable of.
    • Everyone will think you are useless because there's a lot of bad Paladins out there that perpetuate the stereotype.
    • Pretty complex, steep learning curve. Lots of things to interact with in order to do things that make people think you are OP.
    The upsides:
    • You are your own ready-made group. Just add DPS. No healer required.
    • Big fire sword(s) if you do your epic ornament.
    • Hard to kill and versatile on raids. Lots of "oh save everyone!" buttons to push.
    • Pretty much right behind Clerics in single target heal output.
    • Makes you feel like a badass being the widely viewed "underdog" of the tank world.
    • Everyone wants/needs/loves you on raids. I don't think there's a single guild out there who wouldn't take even a half decent Paladin right now.
    • Opportunity to blow minds if you get good at the class and combat the "Paladins r bad" stereotype.
    • Less edgy emo 'omg im so dark and brooding' than an SK.
    I'm sure I missed a few, but that hits all the major points and highlights. Like I said, you really can't go wrong with any of the tanks right now, so roll the one with the aesthetic/playstyle that you think you'll enjoy.
    Belars, Allayna and Seldom like this.
  9. sojero One hit wonder

Don't be mad at them just cause they forumquest better than tanks ( or just that p234543aa guy), the heart of it is still the same. You need to look at your post, which is what I responded to, not the OP, you were the one saying you don't see this kind of comparison in healers.
  10. Maedhros High King

Unicron?!
  11. Maedhros High King

Starting from scratch on any tank class is a big undertaking.
    Its not like a dps class that you can focus all your aa into burn category and things like gear and augs don't really matter too much.
    With a tank, especially a paladin, you need to spend such a massive amount of time gearing up, maxing out augs and aa just to find out if you're any good or not.

Unfortunately paladin has not been a flavor of the month class since.... Call of the Forsaken, so what, 2013? Maybe that means we are overdue for the pendulum swing though if you feel like rolling the dice!

Like Gotwar said if you become a god among paladins while we are still thought of as such a weak option to the other two tanks, it can do great things for your ego!
    Seldom likes this.
  12. p8aa Elder

Not sure what you are arguing. I have been pretty clear on why these 2 threads aren't the same thing.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

Super fast to level up.
    Godmode vs easier content.
    Cure DT's and battle rez.
  14. Maedhros High King

No easier to level up than the other two tanks.
    No more godmode than the other two tanks at defeating trivial content. I would actually put the major edge to SK here.
    Cure DT's and battle rez? There are 3 raids in EQ that I use blessing of Purification with regularity. By the way a player can avoid Tomb Rot death by gating to the lobby.
    Anyone can battle rez by purchasing rez tokens in PoK.
    Those are pretty weak upsides you're listing.
  15. Warpeace Augur

Except Paladin rez will be 90% that battle rez token click from random player will be 96%. Heck a Necro can battle rez better % wise.

Its beyond boggling why Daybreak insists on locking the Paladin 96% rez aa behind a combat lockout.
    Maedhros likes this.
  16. mmats Augur

Raid leaders will tell you paladins are great and they wish they had more. Paladins will tell you they are supremely inferior.

So I would say roll a paladin if you enjoy playing a major part in raids and then having a good cry afterwards over your perceived inadequacies.
    Brohg likes this.
  17. Dre. Altoholic

Ah, ForumQuest, how I've missed thee.

edit: Lol @ forum - quest censored
  18. Seldom Augur

Shadowknights will tell you they have no raid role.

Warriors will tell you they can’t replenish their HP bar.

Paladins will tell you they’re the least played tank by large margin and it’s not by some magic coincidence. On live and progression servers. Raid game and group.

To the OP: Paladins stack up fine. Gotwar and Maedhros covered most points more than adequately
  19. Dreadmore Augur

Not to try to refute what you're saying, especially since I'm not a paladin expert, but mine is far behind my shadow knight, with only about 13k AAs, yet he performs fairly well in T2 ROS, and tanked a few of the more troublesome named with no problems. Really surprised me. I'm gonna make a guess that the healing spells are really powerful and make them an exceptionally survivable tank, but unfortunately mine goes OOM quickly. Can't plow through a 30-minute lesson burn without a med break.
  20. Brohg Augur

The mana thing unfortunately resolves sorta late in a character's development. We all focus on in-fight +power stuff rather than sustainability. When you get there, packing on the mana AAs and Hero's Fort/Reso/Vits really changes the picture.