Paladin

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Teldiin, May 9, 2018.

1. Teldiin New Member

I am a returning player and was looking at starting a Paladin. Is there much need for them in groups or are people just looking for warriors/sks? Are Paladin's able to molo well? It seems like there is a ton of information on war/sk, but not nearly as much information on paladins.
  2. Brohg Augur

Seven out of thirty forum front page threads mention paladins directly in their title. Another 11 are just "tanks" generally. Discussion looks lively! Do you have special questions that Search didn't answer?
  3. Dreadmore Augur

Yeah, but none of their titles are as descriptive an specific as this one's.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Paladins are the best tank ever
    aariell_xev and Allayna like this.
  5. Teldiin New Member

lol, I see your point in the pretty pro title for the thread. I guess 2 specific questions, what is there roll in raids and how is their ability to molo?
  6. p2aa Augur

They can molo well. If enough geared / AA, you can kill some current content group named in RoS.
    Your DPS will be slower than a SK, but your self healing is better than a SK, so you can stay alive for a longer time to compensate.
    In raid, your main job will be to tank adds that pop in raid main event. In events that require lot of splash, you can also be required to cover it on the raid.
    If you are good and enough geared, you can also MT Raid Bosses and survive well after that all your warriors have died against the raid boss.
  7. Dreadmore Augur

Molo is slow and grueling, but if you're in no rush, it is possible. It'll take a lot of gearing up and AAs to get to a point where you can molo stuff that gives fair experience though.
  8. Outlander Engine Elder

Red headed step child of the tank classes. They don't have any special tools to make up for their lack of dps / utility.

A warrior or sk with a healer merc can molo. A paladin needs a dps merc and a healer merc. If you boxed a bard or enc with one, you could get along with a f2p account with a apprentice healer and use a journeyman dps merc with your paladin.

Raid?
    On the one hand, almost every guild is recruiting them.
    On the other hand, that's because there aren't enough people playing them.
  9. p2aa Augur

You must have known or played with terrible paladins.
    EnchFWO likes this.
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Of all the tank classes, Paladins are the one with the best unicorns and class defining AA ability.
  11. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

agi tank lovin failadins. :D
  12. Silverstone Journeyman

1 handed damage with a raid enhanced Wurmslayer.. 30-40k dps
    2 handed damage with an older raid (Scar). 50-60k dps

I know Warriors and Sk's in my guild that can easily double those numbers.

My wife plays a Berserker, if she falls, it takes me about 25 minutes to kill a mob 1 handed in Ros. Otherwise it take us about 3-5 minutes. On a positive note, I can usually self heal through that 1 mobs damage with no healer merc.

Been playing a Pally a long time and won't change. Years ago we tanked as good as a Mage's earth pet and did about the same damage. At one point our damage was pretty good and it got nerfed hard. Now in 2018 we tank about as good as a Mage's earth pet and do about the same damage 1 handed, but self heals are better.

Anyone else see the same pattern as above^^^

They could double the delve on our heals through the target dd's and still not overpower a Paladin. I like being the weakest class, keeps the flavor of the months going to other classes.

Aggro, I have no problem holding agro in groups with the new additions it is to easy and no challenge. Warrior and SK's agro is far superior to ours, against a good warrior or sk, I can't pull agro from them using all our new agro toys. I can't speak for them, but I assume holding group agro is even easier.

Currently most of our disc's are bugged. I have posted on boards about them to go ignored.
    We start with 120k endurance for example. Holy forge.. (I am not going to look up the actual numbers) initial cost is 5000 endurance and 30 per tick. Yet at the end of this disc, not every time I am at 60 percent stamina. that is 48,000 endurance to run one disc. My third disc usually goes off due to lack of stamina to keep it running with this bug. The other group members are near 100 percent still, and we have to rest while I regain stamina incase another pull goes bad. The only assumption I can make is our disc's are using the initial cost of stamina to run each tick instead of the maintenance cost. The bug is intermittent and does not happen every time I use them.

I enjoy the class and won't change after so many years, I did not return to the game to be "uber". I returned years ago for a challenge. If your looking for the same, the Paladin class will provide you hundreds of hours of challenges.

Hope this helps new Paladin's.
  13. Jaay Lorekeeper

Dont really want to be all that offensive but its clear that you have very little knowledge about the class that you are playing,

I main a paladin, and have none if the issues that you throw out here, and my dps is a hell of alot higher then what you are adding in,

And you say that it takes you and your "berseker wife" 3-5 mins killin a normal mob in RoS? Im sorry but It would seem your wife has no idea what she is doin either :p

Did you seriously compare a Paladin tank to an earth pet? You are starting to scare me.

I would advise you both to perhaps start reading what your abilites acctually do properly, and if that doesnt help, well you can always go play Minecraft instead, would prolly suit you better =) =) =)

I hope to god new paladins dont read a single word of what you wrote, cause you sir, have no idea what you are talking about....
  14. p2aa Augur

It's amazing to read such things, I especially loved "it takes me 25 min to solo 1 RoS mob with 1 hander".
    Even with only auto attack on and 1H + shield doing nothing it doesn't take this long.
    I wish people would learn to play better before posting all around skill lacking non sense.
  15. Silverstone Journeyman

Kind of figured, anytime you post things on these boards that is controversial the same thing happens. You don't know how to play your class, etc etc.

I did cover some dangerous topics there, agro abilities being to easy now in having the worst agro of the 3 tanks. Mage pets. Yea, you get older you don't have a filter anymore, you just speak the truth of what you see.

Instead of providing a logical conversation lets attack each other personally so anything the person types is ignored. I do not engage in childish things of attacking other people.

A mortiferous golem approx, 33,000,000 million hp's. 33,000,000 divided by 30,000dps= 18.33 minutes to kill. Add in cast times to stay alive these spells lower dps, and self heal lets approximate +5 minutes. 22.33 minutes to kill. Lets add in my wifes Zerker dps.. lets average at 150k dps. plus my 30kdps = 3.05 minutes to kill.

I am going to assume that you can figure the time required above for a mob with half the hit points.

Yep, I was off a little on the numbers above.
  16. p2aa Augur

I'm not the only one to say it, a player playing the same class as you told you you were doing things very wrong. 3 min to kill one single mob, even if it's a golem, is really wrong. Push buttons better on the zerker (and the paladin likely).
    Also if you are unable to tank better than a mage pet, you have some work to do to.
  17. Risiko Augur

While I don't play a paladin nor do I know the poster that is being accused of not knowing how to play his paladin, I have to say that I have always hated seeing anybody say things like "learn to play better". It just personally irks me to see people say things like that with out defining what exactly "L2P" means.

Give him pointers. Give him an example of how to improve his DPS. Give him some tips on how to tank "better than an earth elemental". Give anything other than just "L2P".

It doesn't matter the game, the person, the class, or anything really. If all you have to say is "you don't know how to play your class" with out giving any actual tips on how or what to do, then you are just being rude and unhelpful to the thread.

Just my 2 coppers.
    Pirlo and Brohg like this.
  18. Lianeb Augur

It’s been my experience on these boards that when you do offer tips and suggestions it is almost always met with “yeah I’m doing all that” when obviously you aren’t.
    Pirlo, Allayna and Brohg like this.
  19. shiftie Augur

I had to stop posting because it mostly comes down to l2p and that got me moderated a lot
    Pirlo likes this.
  20. p2aa Augur

The OP is asking general questions. This is not a thread which asked "here is what I do, how can I improve my tanking / moloing area, etc."
    The problem for me that made me react is for the poster to link his lower performance as to how the class is standing right now, and coming to the conclusion that his class sucks. You need to play your class to most of its potential, before saying "my class sucks".
    As to skill improvement, there are dozens of thread on these boards that speak of it yet for each tank class. If you want specific questions, ask, people will gladly answer to you.
    Tierwyn likes this.