Paladin w/ mage box- requesting feedback

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by wagz, May 15, 2021.

1. wagz Casual - Innoruuk origin

Just looking for feed back. Didn’t get any from the class specific forums.
    Thinking about coming back to try the new TLP. Wondering if a Paladin main with mage box would work. I love playing a pali, but with starting out in classic it’s a rough go until geared, especially with the time I have to play. With a mage (for instance a lvl five pet at mage lvl 2), I would be able to effectively box if I didn’t have time to group ( I don’t like joining or creating a group to only play for 1/2 an hour and bounce). I’ve mained a mage and didn’t have issues soloing on TLPs to at least level 15ish before the exp slowed down, but will this set up really add a lot, or would I be better off doing a pali with a Druid or shaman for effectiveness of farming gear and soloing blues? A mage seems like and easy hot key setup for pet and occasional nuke, and pet could off tank with Pali heals if needed. I realize I could just play a mage, and get what I want, but I really want to do a paladin and still have the ability to just solo(box) when I get a little free time.

Not interested in a bard or enchanter thought. Just looking for input if this would be an effective team for early classic/low levels. I’m not too interested in expansions past Kunark or past lvl 30 ish.
  2. Appren Gnomercy

Will it work? Yes it will. It wont be optimal (pally is rather bad for several expansions), but the mage will at least give you the damage to be useful.

One might suggest, that the mage will do better alone without the paladin, however...but since you love pallies, it will be ok.
  3. jeskola pheerie

You can make anything work, but your mage pet will probably out-tank you and you'll end up a weak cleric.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. samenye Lorekeeper

I would box a druid. You'll appreciate the utility & fast travel with limited play time & they're easier to true box than a mage. The mage pet is very weak defensively in Classic but still super-taunty, just when you aren't. Typically, the mage has to tank for her pet & spend a lot of time resummoning it - a pain on a box. If you add other players, they'll want summoned crap - also a pain on a box. Druid is easy as you can pretty much macro everything and run them off a little plug-in usb numpad. Plus, if you're going to insist on using Flash of Light...the bastard might as well be snared while it runs round starting trains :)
  5. Ultrazen Augur

Pali /Necro is a better 2 box. You don't really want the pet tanking, which it will, because it's pretty squishy and you are going to blow all your mana healing it every fight. Necro brings you snare, fear, FD pulling/split mobs when pac won't work. Pali/Necro is actually a very good box duo.

They changed agro rules on pets, it used to be if you were standing in range, you got agro, now pets can hold agro with you in range. The mage pet will take agro, the necro pet probably won't. Necro can feed pali mana, and hard CC as well, much better than a mage.

With a necro you could fear kite, and do quite a bit actually. Once the pali is better geared, this becomes a really great duo, especially against undead. Palie/necro has great synergy, pali/mage has none really. Considering the normal instance arc on a TLP, you can go pretty much all the way fighting undead. Noob area, unrest, lower guk, voila, 50.

Snare is huge in classic, and mana problems are real. Necro solves both of those, and brings much more to the table than a mage.

Dwarf palie, gnome necro. Easy starting area, close to unrest, easy to get together.
    Tennas likes this.
  6. Gnothappening Augur

I personally like pally/druid as a strong base similar to SK/sham, though not as strong early on. You don't get ports but you do get good buffs, snare, and ports.
  7. wagz Casual - Innoruuk origin

Thanks for the input, definitely not sure what to do as the ideas all sound great.
  8. Baldur Augur

Pally/mage is a fine box duo. I did it on Aradune and it worked fine, pallies do get superior heal at 48 in classic now.

Your statement saying you're only concerned about early classic / low levels though has me confused, because it conflicts with your statement that you like pally. If you're only concerned about early classic / low levels, don't play a pally.
  9. wagz Casual - Innoruuk origin

That concern was in reference to the box, as I just wanted an easy box to help solo at the beginning of the server, after that I’ll be grouping when Kunark releases because I’ll have more play time.
  10. Fhiele Augur

I did a ranger and a mage alts on Agnarr duo, and they actually did very well. The ranger self-heals were enough to kill at a pretty good xp rate. I'd imagine a paladin would do even better.
  11. Ultrazen Augur

I just want you to think of me every time you curse not having a mob snared lol. You can avoid this if you only ever fight undead that doesn't run...but again, a necro would be a much better 2nd for that.

Not having snare sucks in classic.
    Tennas likes this.