Paladin self only heals.

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Kobrah, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Kobrah Augur

Can these heals (grief,sorrow etc) be looked at to be quickened to be usable as quickly as bursts ? They share the same timer so perhaps they can be the same reuse time? 2.5 min reuse for a self only heal seems oddly long doesn't it ?
  2. Seldom Augur

Burst line of heals for Paladins have a unique drawback specific to that line of spells which is an additional length of time lockout on entire spell bar after cast. Yellow heals do not have that, but the con on those is obviously the extremely long reuse. Both have their pros and cons, the way it should be IMO(I would not want the yellow heals to get the spell bar lockout bursts have, as I'm sure vast majority of Paladins wouldn't). If you do have a couple of yellow heals memed/down, always remember that's one of our best uses for forceful rejuvenation
  3. Jaerlyn Augur

They were designed more as emergency buttons, than sustained healing.
  4. Chaosflux Augur

The power of the Penitence line is they do NOT share a timer.

You can load 3 of them when doing heavy tanking and with forceful rejuvenation have 6 total full health life saves. If spaced correctly just after spikes this will massively change your rate of survival.

Burst is a trap heal, that on paper looks good, until you note that with server lag accounted 1 cast of the heal eats 3.6s of cast uptime (.3s cast + 3.0 sec lockout + .3s to toggle self + .3s of server lag)

Where you could have pumped out 2 HOTT heals in that same 3.6s.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

How exactly do you have the spell gems to load 3 of them in today's game?

These spells are great, except the fact they take up a spell gem.
  6. Seldom Augur

In many scenarios it's best not to dedicate 3 spell gems to that line. There are definitely situations where it's wise to do so though. Raid boss tanking, solo healing in some situations etc.
  7. Chaosflux Augur

My spell loadout is highly situational. I don't run around with 3 memes all the time, only for the applicable situation do I use 3.

I routinely have 2 memmed, I drop burst when I boss tank in order to load the 3rd (I ride with 2 in regular situations).

Hell even for group content I rarely ever even load a single burst since the Valiant upgrade and getting Harmonious. I don't load stance or preservation,either the total benefit is low outside of extenuating circumstances that require it (which then I load them).

Even before valiant upgrade, the necessity to burst was pretty minimal with intelligent cycling of cooldowns and tanking tools. (For tanking, if I had to backup a slack healer, burst stayed memmed)

YMMV
  8. josh Augur

That's some pretty biased math ya got there. .3 server seconds of server lag would apply to any heal, it in no way takes .3 seconds to target yourself unless your talking about human reaction time which also applies to every heal. pressing tab before i press my heal hot key maybe adds a tenth of a second to the time it takes me to cast the heal. The spell bar lockout for hott heals is 1.5 seconds. so even with our two fastest hott heals, valiant and admonish, using your math. id say its 5.2 seconds to get those casts off if you went straight from one to the other. oh wait, but they were both resisted, oooooh no.

My point is that all spells have drawbacks, caling the burst spells a trap is just ridiculous.

It's not like that extra 1.5 second lockout makes us completely useless for those 1.5 seconds. we have repel, shield flash, and a whole host of instant non-spell heals if something horrific happens in that brief window. frankly, i would much rather suffer that 1.5 - 2.5 extra seconds than have 3 spell slots made completely useless for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
  9. Chaosflux Augur

Not saying you aren't right, but show me a cast parse where there is less downtime between burst and your next cast. Because that was never my experience, I'll grant maybe that's lag.

Though I was counting the server lag of .3s for both globals of the HOTT and burst heals.

.5s cast + 1.8s
    .7s cast (2nd heal lands here didn't count the global)

Maybe we can reduce the self targetting in my initial post to .1s, that's arguable though.

As far as 3 yellow heals taking up space, i covered that: it's a narrowly focused spell set up for one particular situation and does not work well outside of that one circumstance.

However it's not like there's a mass of spells that are more helpful when boss tanking or tanking a mass of mobs. It's not like loading any of our utility for an application where our utility is irrelevant would help.

But yes outside of that one circumstance I agree. 3 yellow heals is silly, but if my survival is paramount I can't think of more effective tools.