Paladin future needs

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Redemption, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Wulfhere Augur

Do you use Harmonious Blessing? That would account for the messages too.
  2. mmats Augur

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. Allayna Augur

Doesn't get loaded. Harmonious is one of our less than appealing abilities in current form.

Also, what I meant to say:

VS, what I should have said and someone said better elsewhere:

1. The first action you performed on a mob with no hate list is hard capped – you can not generate more than 150 hate on the first action against a mob. There are 3 exceptions to this rule, and 3 exceptions only: Sk terror spells, paladin stun spells (not AAs), and paladin crush spells – these all bypass the hard cap and give you the full amount of hate listed in the spell, so these should *always* be the first thing you use against any mob.
  4. Aelen Augur

That isn't really correct though. It shows some awareness of something that happens someplaces, but it isn't right.

First off, there are plenty of exceptions, the underlying effect is just having a Hate override. Crush, Stun and Terror for knights are standout examples. And Divine Stun does have a hate override that bypasses the initial cap, it just doesn't generate much hate compared to a modern hate spell.

Second, that behavior isn't even universal. There are specific mobs that for some reason have hate capped very low for the first action. I don't know why. There are also mobs that very specifically do not have hate capped very low for the first action. Both the ones I'm thinking of are fairly standard trash mobs from the past two expansions.

Offhand, I'm not sure Hate overrides even work to bypass the cap on the one I'm thinking of.. wolves in FM.

Third, instant casts let you rig together a way to work around that limitation as well. If you technically hit it with two actions on the first second, and the first nulls the first-aggro problem, the second lands normally. Prior to them fixing the application of Bold Attacks' SPA on your first action, this was actually a preferable way to initiate even on non-capped mobs if you wanted max burst hate from your best aggro Crush. The override worked, sure, but not the +72% or more modifier to it. Now it does of course, so this is irrelevant for that purpose.
  5. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

While a valid point, I think you're missing two things.
    1.) You forgot about the Rest time of 1.5s on those spells. So we're not going to do exactly that by using two Crush spells.
    2.) We can already do what you're describing roughly every minute by using one of the AA Force of Disruption or AA Divine Stun "spells" paired with our Dichotomic Force spell.

Note: Quick Damage AA effectively turns the .1sec casting time of Force of Disruption to 0sec because of how they truncate spell casting times - AFAIK, there is no .08sec cast time.

The only thing instant cast Crushes would change in that situation is the spell we use after the AA and the frequency we could do it. The quicker recast times of the Crushes would become the limiting factor instead of the longer refresh timer of our Dichotomic Force.

It would allow a really nice macro to be made that used Force of Disruption and Crush of the Timorous Deep that could be used roughly every 15 seconds (allowing for lag and the needed pause(s) to make sure everything landed). You can probably add Dichotomic Force to that macro too if you keep that in a spell slot. You could also do something similar/better with keybinds instead.[/quote]
  6. Wulfhere Augur

Ever consider that?
    1. it works well in combination when receiving priest alliances (and getting heals). It's effectively a group alliance with single target hate from the stun. In AE heavy events paladins can help heal specifically when tanking
    2. it helps to augment healer merc performance (assumes blocking non-instant heals)
    3. the stun can tag targeted mobs beyond 300 range and without LOS. Yep
  7. Wulfhere Augur

With Tempus Faycite Shard: Force of the Timorous Deep this could be even quicker, around 9 seconds. If I were to adopt this idea it would be stun then FoD for maximum hate (on the tag).

Maybe Forceful Rejuvenation applies here to if you're trying to make a mash button for an occasional big blast of hate.
  8. Allayna Augur

The first-to-aggro spell casted on animal NPCs will do nearly zero hate.

If you cast a spell on an animal NPC that is not already aggro on you, then it will do pretty much no hate at all; even SK terror spells. Every cast after getting on the hate list will apply hate normally. Only one dispel (assuming it's first-to-aggro) on animals will add any hate.
  9. Seldom Augur

I think it would be best at this point if the negative aggro mod was removed from the Censure Heal portion of the spell in light of the witness check aggro change. Don’t really care either way about the nuke portion keeping it
    Allayna likes this.
  10. Wulfhere Augur

... but I like having an "AE Jolt" option.
  11. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Out of curiosity, how are things on the ae aggro front since the patch and the witness check fix? Haven’t seen a FQ complaint by a Pal on the subject since, so thinking it made a noticeable difference?
  12. Warpeace Augur

While its noticeable its not all that some are trying to make it seam at least while raiding. Maybe with more casual grouping and depending on other tanks group members I guess it could be ok? It does give you the bonus agro from the heal and gains AE agro now.

If a SK is going for AE agro its still getting you agro, your just never going to overtake them spamming that. You will slowly climb vs a warrior but they can still knock you down to next to nothing agro when they want.

Its a tool I would now say works as intended. I would rather Beacon and Load star abilities get an increased number of mobs from 8, increased range at least back to 50 and a shorter recast. I don't see AE agro ever being a thing Paladin are good at but should be able to fill in for to keep things moving.
  13. Allayna Augur

Personal preference I suppose, especially since it looks like 2/3 are talking about group game, I prefer to have more control than having X mob randomly aggro because I constantly cycle F8.

In #1, our healers don't do a whole hell of a lot of direct healing unless your on the named. Splash from paladin/shaman/cleric, alliances, group heals fill that gap and since they aren't single, don't meet the requirements to trigger harmonious.
    In that respect, dichotomic force, aurora, splash, stuns fill the "group heal" need better.
    For mobs that ARE stunnable, it stun locks them away from the raid, costing dps.

Perhaps if the stun off the harmonious was an AE stun around the caster, then maybe I could see loading it, but again, preference in gameplay.
  14. Warpeace Augur

Group healing is more a thing now considering all the classes that can along with AE healing

This would explain what I see while raiding also. Basically stuns are horrible unless needed to beat a mechanic. Most are using Group AE healing to maximize the benefit of the group and heals cast. Single target heals are reserved for the MT and Paladin are group heal spamming.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

Along with the witness check fix, Dzarn nerfed the +hate mod on the Valiant heal to match warrior Harmonious' Expansive Disharmony ranks. So instead of SK levels of AE hate, it's on par with warrior levels. In a raid it's like 0-2% +hate on actively tanked adds, just a little noise. In a group it's more noticeable and a quality of life improvement (less target cycling).
  16. Warpeace Augur

It lost over 5k agro. Not complaining, but thats huge considering how long it has been broken.
  17. Wulfhere Augur

Remember that Blunted Blade procs Healing Light in those cases too. I haven't used Aurora since TBM, replaced by Harmonious often as not. Play style options are fun.
  18. Warpeace Augur

Its starting to feel like over selling of group heal procs. This isn't like when Chestplate of dark flames proced group heals, then quickly nerfed. Either way your still at the mercy of range for those procs.
  19. Aelen Augur

I'll see if I can get an animal body type targeted effect and see if that reconciles with the behavior I'm seeing. It wouldn't offhand, but maybe the body type isn't set to animal for some of the ones I'd disagree on.

Either way, if you pop a nuke on a Golem in Overthere, or a Cockatrice in Lcea, or a Sarnak in Chardok, and its your first action, you're getting full aggro regardless of if there's an override.

I.E., if I take an Enchanter with Spellcasting Subtletly disabled, cast Mindslash Rk. II which has 29188 damage as it's base, I'm going to generate about 29k aggro with my first action on that mob. 58k if it happened to twincast.
  20. Aelen Augur

In this case I wasn't so much referring to that, but noting how the override wasn't necessary to get full hate if you had tools to play around it.

If say you had something that wasn't accepting opening hate, you could lob an arrow and time your cast to land after the arrow, or click the viral flux staff from Tower of Rot and Force of Disruption one after the other to instantly get around it.

I don't really have any opposition to instant crushes, I think they actually kinda make sense.