Paladin future needs

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Redemption, Jul 18, 2018.

1. shiftie Augur

When you have an aura up there is an invisible npc that follows you around. AFAIK because of memory limits in zones this is why it was never expanded upon and also why devs hate them.
  2. Livvy_CT Elder

I understand the logic of healing being a big deal for us, but we should have some ability to good dps and have an ability for snap aggro, I mean our aggro isn’t horrible but I guess it could be tweaked a bit
  3. Gnomereaper Augur

Clerics can use two auras, it's not a huge leap to get dual auras.
  4. Lubianx Augur

A have read this as well in the past Shiftie, however, if this is the case, Shaman probably would not have gotten an aura this last patch.

I'm not saying that we should get 2 auras, I am fine with one at a time (maybe add an option for a different aura), just that if DBG used that argument, it would make them look a little silly (more than usual)
  5. Silverstone Journeyman

I still think a change to yaulp would benefit the class. Make the haste version of the spell over haste.
  6. Stephen51 Augur

Not that I am implying DB were listening to my request(s), the change to the Gift of Life AA, more or less covers my above suggestion.

I think the class came off quite well from the patch. To see some of the changes to AA's of other classes - where the AA spell was replaced by a spell in the spell book, and not always for the better, we more or less managed to get a new ability.

Colour me happy.....til the next patch.
  7. Seldom Augur

I was impressed with the Gift of Life change/improvements as well. I’d have been pleased with Piety being made MGB-able finally but the fact that it was covered via a better method was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Witness check being corrected on heals and endurance being added to Marrs were nice steps in the right direction as well. Kudos to Dzarn and Devs for implementing multiple suggestions plus getting creative
  8. Allayna Augur

Steadfast Will: This passive ability grants you a 100% chance to endure what would otherwise be a stunning melee attack, from any angle, without being stunned.

That was last upgraded in underfoot and I don't think it would be game breaking to add ranks to include spell stun.

Many of the other passives have not been upgraded since TDS:

Healing Adept, Healing Gift, Fury of Magic all need upgrades.

Comparing the paladin and shadow-knight brother abilities, many have claimed that paladins have the ultimate heals so we should lack in other areas.

[50928/99] Touch of the Cursed XXIX
    Classes: SHD/254
    Skill: Alteration
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Magic -200
    Reflectable: No
    Trigger Spell DS: No
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    1: Decrease Current HP by 4400
    2: Return 75% of Damage as HP, Max Per Hit: 58696
    This passive ability grants your melee attack rounds a chance to trigger a 4400 point direct damage-spell on your opponent.
    This direct-damage spell heals you for 75% of the damage done up to 58696 points.

vs.

[50927/16029] Blessing of Life XX
    Classes: PAL/254
    Skill: Abjuration
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    1: Increase Current HP by 2750
    This passive ability grants your melee attacks a chance to trigger Blessing of Life which heals you for 2750 health.

Healing Light, passive ability gives your stun spells and abilities a 20% chance to bestow your group with Healing Light, which heals them for 5K health.

I would compare that to the two SK abilities Cascading Theft of Defense and Cascading Theft of Life:

Grants your level 70 and higher Terror line of spells a 16% chance to trigger a cascading theft of defense which absorbs up to 8K points of melee damage per hit up to a total of 40K damage for 1 min or up to 5 hits.

Grants your level 75 and higher instant-duration detrimental spells a 16% chance to trigger a cascading theft of life which heals you and the members of your party for 12K health.

Then there is the comparison of Mortal Coil and Blessing of the Faithful. The "healing knight", as so many have posted, ability doesn't have a heal component?!?

I think all the paladins appreciate the recent work on the class. Thank you dev team for looking into some of the issues that have been brought up. But I don't think I'm alone in saying there are some things that could use some more minor tweaking.

Perhaps I should re-roll an SK, low mana terror line, instant cast, which makes it possible to cast on the run, and it procs a melee rune?
  9. Gnomereaper Augur

Do something with the joke that is Act of Valor. The job of a tank isn't to die.
    Allayna likes this.
  10. Ghubuk Augur

By that logic we should not get DI placed on us.
  11. Warpeace Augur

Maybe if they turned it into an ….. nope best thing they can do is just remove it. Thats the best option for Act of Valor....delete it from game.
  12. Gnomereaper Augur

0_o

There's a difference between jumping off a cliff to cure yourself of the flu, and getting a flu shot. Act of Valor you're jumping off a cliff. DI you're getting a flu shot to try and prevent the flu.

I get the whole "martyrdom idea" but seriously killing yourself isn't good game mechanics. In terms of real life martyrdom most examples in hagiography are people who are killed for their beliefs or persecuted not killing themselves to then save another. Typically the person dies by other means than the self and then stuff happens after they die.

An Act of Valor isn't martyrdom, either. But I agree, adding something that the paladin community acts wants and is more class defining of a knight class is far better. Considering that the paladin is typically under Christian medieval lore with some Islamic lore tied in returning to those concepts would be far better. Granted the equestian class was pagan Roman that evolved into cataphracts of the Byzantine Empire.

My own personal feelings of an "Act of Valor"

1. It saves someone
    2. Doing it is brave

Because, prior to a recast timer being added to it there was a paladin that would use it instead of gate potions when he was at max XP to go to bind point, corpse summons, then rez.

At this point, replace it with something else that the paladin community actually wants. I consider Act of Valor to be up there with Complete Heal when it comes to bad game design.
  13. Gnomereaper Augur

I feel the "easiest" thing to do is to have a mass spell that can be used at a group and raid level at instant speed. Similar in line something between Auspice of the Hunter and Celestial Regeneration that's "paladin specific" yet stacks with other things.
  14. mmats Augur

At this point, I think a re-roll would be best. You are on the verge of becoming a meme when the entirety of the forum can predict the contents your next post. The self loathing would be more accurate roleplay as one of the evil races as well.
    Thoxsel, Sancus, Sheex and 2 others like this.
  15. Wulfhere Augur

I think that shadowknight class has received more creative development vs paladin over the lifetime of the game. This affects the fun factor of playing a class more then say raw power. The devs have made the SK an attractive and fun class to play and that's good for the state of the game. Drawing comparative ideas from similar classes where that creativity has already been applied to improve and balance another class makes sense. The game needs more then one fun class to play in order to continue being successful.

One idea I'd like to vote up again, for both paladins and clerics, is with swarm pets that can do some tanking and dps. Other classes have sufficiently strong and/or numerous swarm pets that they can hold off an extra mob or two for a few minutes (yes I know both classes have root, the difference here is the degree of protecting others from attack). The cleric hammer could be improved in that direction and a variant form of that tuned for paladins, in effect cleric gets its acolyte(s) and paladin gets its squire(s).
  16. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

[IMG]

At this point it’s getting pretty pathetic, man.
  17. Belkar_OotS Augur

I don't play a paladin so forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Act of Valor always seemed a little counter productive to me. If they changed it to an AE heal, dropped the paladin to 1 hit point and a self DA that couldn't be removed it would add a much more interesting ability and a chance at survival or.... maybe even purple club with a hot if the sacrifice needs to be more real to the devs.
  18. Maedhros High King

We asked it to be changed to a big AE heal.
    They did not change Act of Valor but instead improved our Lay of hands and changed it such that we no longer needed the Gift of Life AA. Then they made Gift of Life into pretty much exactly what we were asking Act of Valor to be changed into, a large AE heal.
    So we got what we wanted, but we still have Act of Valor for those very few people who liked the concept.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for any additional changes to AOV.
  19. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I actually think my pally does fine now that I've brought his equipment level up. But I have to play CAREFULLY as opposed to playing my SK which I usually could get stupid drunk and still okay. I'm sure this will resonate with someone.
  20. Silverstone Journeyman

Change yaulp to be 30 percent over haste. If we still need a boost after that make blessing of the faithful proc off a killing blow a passive ability. DPS fixed easy

Update our heal aura effect.

Clean up the class, get rid of the damage shield or add a healing effect to it.

Address cast times, maybe lower all spells cast time by 30-50 percent more.

Class is fixed. Aggro will be addressed through the faster higher damage attacks.