Paladin Aggro

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Transporter, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Xanathol Augur

I won't speak to Paladins, but as an SK, self healing is only reliable in trivial to near-trivial content. Procs are random and thus completely unreliable, epic / mortal coil aren't something that is always up or maintainable (thanks swarm nerf), and casted lifetaps, as someone stated above, go from 'crap' to 'maybe ok' to 'good' with that 'good' only coming ~4% of the time.

You may see an SK use a wizzy merc in a burn situation while molo on a slightly tougher mob, but constant killing is only on trivial mobs. If you want to trade out what SKs can do in trivial content for what Warriors can do in non-trivial content, I'd be glad to take you up on that offer.
  2. shiftie Augur

I'm starting to wonder what your goal is with all the misdirection. You're telling me that all of a sudden Sk can't heal themselves in group content (I'm not talking yellow/reds even though they can do that too).

Sk self healing is still just as good as it ever was the nerfs to swarming have 0 impact on single targets as the proc limit won't proc out.
    Fenudir and Ravengloome like this.
  3. Repthor Augur

maybe his SK is bugged and he only able to proc heal for 150 hp or so. you should petition that Xan and see if they can help you figure out why your toon is broken when other sks solo/molo just fine with their wizzy mercs but you seem not to be able to unless the mob is grey/green/lightblue con.

hope the GMs can help you out man.
    Ravengloome likes this.
  4. Ravengloome Augur

JW these 4% of the times your talking about must be double crits?

Which in another thread you said is about 6.5% chance I could have swore.

Gosh next week are double crits only going to happen 2% of the time?

These stealth nerfs are serious guys. Because I am fairly certain 47% chance to Crit nuke and what 45% to crit heal, would end up being more then a mere 4% of the time a double crit happening. I mean I am not "great" at math, but just eyeballing it. That doesn't add up.
  5. Xanathol Augur

As devs on this very team once stated, reading is fundamental. No one stated SKs cannot self heal but rather the effectiveness thereof is lacking on non-trivial content. If you are seriously going to make a stance that random proc taps sustain SKs on non-trivial content, then there's not sense chatting about it because you'd be lying. Epic is 1 minute every 5 and only at best when VoD is up. Mortal Coil depends on a kill proc and again, with such low melee, is at best with VoD up. I've already covered casted taps, which combined logs over many, many fights show a ~4% rate of a double crit (if someone wants to say I've stated otherwise, please link).

As to your second statement, again, reading is fundamental. I stated exactly:

"epic / mortal coil aren't something that is always up or maintainable (thanks swarm nerf)"

That statement shouldn't need explaining - the swarm nerf upped the chance to proc a blocker and added a limit to hits under the effect. Therefore, the means by which an SK could attempt to, as Paladins and Warriors use to say before the nerf, "keep the effect up indefinitely", are virtually no more.

That is what the statement means and I would think most could deduce that much on their own without the need for explanation.
  6. Xanathol Augur

1. Post a link if you are going to state I said something.
    2. Logs show what they show. Simple math would deduce a greater chance of it happening but logs of what has actually happened in game show otherwise.

And you can keep the snide remarks - they just appear childish.
  7. Xanathol Augur

What exactly do you think SKs are moloing with a wizzy merc that is non-trivial? Perhaps your definition of challenging content is not as challenging to the rest of us, regardless of class.
  8. Repthor Augur

i considdering white/yellow con
    and red cons with discs going
  9. Seldom Augur

Xanathol, you can try to deflect all you want. You're the one that said knights ability to self heal when solo means next to nothing now that every tank has a pocket cleric. If you really believe that, you need to be looking at your skill level, gear, aa or all three of those. I'm not going to post all the current content I've molo'd on my pal/sk with wiz merc, but I'll say they both have three merc wizzies. I keep 3 merc wizzies on them both, so I can quickly rotate/dump and switch to a FM one. It's the mercs that can't sustain, not the other way around like you're claiming. On my war, I have couple cleric mercs, by time I've killed ''non-trivial'' things molo with war, I recall why moloing ''non-trivial'' things on a war is a not so time efficient experience. It's funny because it's actually wars that do ok in the trivial molo content. At least then dps stance can be utilized, even then, it's still cleric merc moloing. Also, claiming snide remarks are childish while telling someone multiple times ''reading is fundamental'' is pretty funny IMO, thanks for that. Wars are very good in group game, not so much in solo/molo game. To claim otherwise is just silly and this is during a time when wars are able to do better in molo game than ever before, which is still lack luster
    Ravengloome likes this.
  10. Xanathol Augur

So in other words your claims are completely baseless and you expect hyperbole to suffice while claiming my statements are simple misdirection - that's rich.
  11. Ravengloome Augur

Let's see the numbers then if your going to say Lifetaps are not double crit ting or crit ting as much as they should.
  12. Seldom Augur

In other words, I'm trying to give you the benefit of doubt and say only way I could see your claims being valid/believed by yourself is due to your skill level, aa, gear or all three. If your recently updated magelo is accurate, unbuffed, my paladin has 44,000 more hp unbuffed than your shadow, 3100ish AC and a crazy amount of heroic dex/agil on you+thousands of AA more. My war, more hp than that, same deal. My shadow, less hp/ac etc. but still DRASTIC difference between us. Call it hyperbole if you like, or call it someone getting a lot more out of their toons, which you too are capable of. To say knights don't have edge on wars in solo/molo game is some serious misdirection lol
  13. Rykard Augur

Fellow Knights,

I have caught up on the post. Some interesting topics covered within. I will try to add some from an ex-raider(ROF expansion).

As far as tanking raid bosses, I always felt that is Warrior territory but like the idea of being able to attempt it as a knight. As numbers decline, you just need more ability to swap in available players/classes. In the mid tier or below guilds, we were doing just that with healers(any we could get) and tanks(warriors then Knights if needed). Comparing the healers as Druid and Shaman have been getting more/better tools to increase their healing are very similar to the tank side. They were getting better tools to help fill those raid roles even if it comes with a minor/major downgrade from the cleric. Knights would and by the comments have that same minor/major downgrade to warriors in regard to being a main tank. I think it probably is where or near where it should be. Let the Knights in there but make sure it is more of a ride. Just my opnion.

As far as paladin agression, I played a SK for years and really felt it was in their class lines because of the abilities that had received over the years. As a paladin now in the mid 80s, I have decent agression skills on single target mobs in comparison to the SK but the AE/snap agression skills are pretty sub- standard. As a SK counting AAs and spells, I could have four different methods of snap/AE agro up. As a paladin at my level, I have two very deficient methods in group heals for AE and 1 pretty decent divine stun for quick single target aggression. I think SKs should be better at agression but Paladins might need a little love in the snap agro/AE area in relation to resisting abilities and time in acquiring the agression.

In relation to paladin agression, I am learning that as I go. For the Paladins out there, I have been using the group heals spell and hand of piety for AE agression. Is there something else or way you would recommend for better AE agression skills(rune proc is also used)?

For snap, I have been using divine stun since it is very fast and actually stuns the mob beating on my silk casters. It is very slow as I have to re target to adds vice the old SK hit AE ability and continue tanking. Do you recommend anything for snap?

Just my thoughts,
    Rykard
  14. Rykard Augur

Xan,

As being mostly a group geared SK for most of my SK life, I tried to emulate the paladin molo with a wizard and just found it was too spikey since our healing Is so unpredictable. It just was not worth it. I also felt the healing should be better for them as it has always been their cup of tea as aggression is the SKs.

I have read a number of your posts from various threads and feel once again you are in a very similar mind set as myself. Played an SK for years. See the benefits of being an SK being reduced or nonexistent due to a number of reasons or changes to the classes over the years. I crossed over from the dark side and it is not so bad. It is a bit rough as first but, It is actually fun learning the new tricks of the class. Come on over!

My thoughts,

Rykard
  15. Zarzac Augur

No, it is not.

It's not as good relative to ourselves as Touch of the Cursed line has been cut off. SK healing is not anywhere near as close as it was to pally healing as it was 5/6 years ago due to all the new stack-able pally abilities picked up over the last 4/5 expansions with the gap growing every expansion.
  16. Ravengloome Augur

Obviously you guys need to get Brael out of retirement. You might actually get something useful then.
    Zarzac likes this.
  17. shiftie Augur

Relative to Paladins I won't comment.

Relative to the sk class based in the perceived nerf he listed nothjng changed.

Totc being stagnated sucks, I can relate since blessing of life is so underwhelming. If I were an sk if be looking at side benefits added to terrors or some other healing not linked to spell resists. That could probably stand in to fill the gap.
  18. Ravengloome Augur

As far as I am concerned BOL and TOTC should be re - envisioned and made into activated AA with 30s cooldown.

Something to heal if gets real during global cooldown would be nice.
  19. Repthor Augur

whouldent that be a massive nerf to sks. yeah blessing of life is meh for sure. but totc is pretty nice for what ti does in genral(yeah you cant control the proc so it can dud but the amount if can heal is decent and its can crit and dubble crit) and makeing in to 1 heal every 30 seconds sounds like a mega nerf to it
  20. shiftie Augur

The last time I parsed blessing of life it came out to 2 ppm. Which is basically an ability on a 30 sec cool down. I'm going to wager totc has the same proc rate. Choosing whn you could use it would probably help sk instead of relying on a proc. both are only a portion of the overall healing picture though it is the sum of all abilities that makes Knights healing potent not each one viewed in a vacuum.