Overseer: Sort the lists

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Axxius, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Axxius Augur

Two requests:

1. When selecting an agent for each position in a quest, sort the agents by BEST MATCH.

They are currently sorted in a semi-relevant way: the ones with the matching job first, then the rest by rarity. And you have to try a bunch of them to see who gives the best chance of success. The first choice is often not the best.

Please save our time, have the client cycle through all agents internally, and sort the list by the best result.

2. Sort the quests by type, rarity and level.

Quests in the list are only partially sorted: some (not all) Uncommon and Rare ones at the top, Conversions at the bottom, and the rest in a completely random order. You have to look at them all to see what type and level they are.

Please sort the list by type (Recruitment, Conversions, Military, Crafting, etc), and then within each type by rarity and level. Ideally, turn the list into a tree with expanding nodes. Or at least add indentation to visually group similar quests.
    Ssdar, Thunderkiks, Andarriel and 8 others like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If we can't sort them it would be nice to have the quest icon next to each quest so we can easily see if we are looking at research, crafting, etc rather than having to click on each quest to see what type it is.

Would also be nice to be able to see before selecting the quest what its duration is.

Currently hating 3 hour recovery quests, it throws timings out for all the others!
    Winnowyl, Sokki and Axxius like this.
  3. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

I agree. Sorting by best match first makes sense. I'm so bored of endlessly clicking on my agents (and I have A LOT), that I just can't even be bothered with overseer anymore. It bores me to spend so much time scrolling through lists to then have to spend even more time clicking through which one gives me the best chances.
    Kurage_of_Luclin likes this.
  4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

#1 is taken care of by the little drop down menus: Oh I need a skeleton for this one, ok, explorer, skeleton, 2 choices there ya go. .. #2 is a wish I have as well.. I need marauder missions on my account, it's still not above level 1.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is not the case. Even after filtering with the drop down box there can be an agent at the end of the list that provides a much better win percentage then one at the front of the list. It is also possible for an agent that matches fewer of the bonuses (or has a negative) to provide a better win percentage in addition to being a lower rarity agent.
    Winnowyl and Rexa like this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Having the ability to click on the traits to filter by that instead of having to scroll through the list each time would save a lot of time.
  7. Zarzac Augur

I think the drops downs are not effective due to the size of the options list. It's quicker to just click through your options than it is to use the list. Maybe if they broke out class/race/trait into 3 different drop downs they would be helpful.
    Axxius and Sokki like this.
  8. dreadlord Augur

There is so much wrong with overseer, that I don't, personally, think expediting utility should be top of the fix list (nothing against it, per se)
    For eg, randomly disappearing quests? I had 5 quests running an hour ago. I look again and there's 4. The missing one is a recruit one (it often, but certainly not always) seems to be recruit which disappear.
    This is almost a daily event
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you don't want to take advantage of the tools to find agents that would match the required traits of course it is going to take longer. Selecting the trait in the drop down is faster than selecting through a list of 100+ agents.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

The drop down works but it is very inefficient. We simply need a checkbox, like the vendors have, that says "show only heroes with related jobs" and a box for trait.

To get the best hero, you need to use both drop down. The best hero is the one with the matching job and the matching trait. Except many times you don't have a hero with that trait. You have to scroll through the drop down to find out you don't have hit, then scroll back up to reset it. We can have an immediate improvement just by adding a reset filters button.

But show only job/trait is the best fix. Considering that heroes that don't have a matching job/trait change the success rate by 0%, there's no reason to even show them in the window at all.

Having an icon next to the task (or simply a letter preceding the name) that indicates the task type would also be a positive improvement.

We can also benefit from having tasks that we don't have a required "!" hero available to do the task get greyed out.

It's not about what we can do. It's about how enjoyable it is to do. I click through each of the tasks looking for diplomat or trade, then have to have a hero that can do it, then have to use drop down menus to pick the hero. Since I can get a benefit from job or trait, without needing both of them, I might have to go through the drop down twice.

Compare that to picking a task with a trade icon that is not grayed out, then only seeing characters that are usable. Which one is clunky?

Think about Overseer as it's own game (which it is). Is it an enjoyable and optimized game? If it didn't give you benefits to your character in EQ would you still play it? That is to say, in it's current state, if it were on mobile and had no connections to EverQuest, would you find it to be an enjoyable and well optimized game?
  11. Axxius Augur

The problems start when you have a whole lot more than 2 choices and 1 bonus trait. When you have dozens of agents, looking at all of them takes time. And pretty often some agent way down the list with the matching traits gives a better chance of success than your top skill agents.

Drop-down menus take even more time, since all traits are bunched together in the same one. There are quests that offer bonuses for 3-4 traits. It's faster to click through 50 agents than to use that drop-down filter 3 times and click through the narrowed results, and then go find the best match again - because you saw it somewhere 2 menus ago.

Sorting the agents by best match from the start would save you all of that time.
    Winnowyl and Sokki like this.
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I like the sort by Best Match idea. That seems like it would be the quickest way for selecting agents. If anything at least add the ability to use the drop down for multiple traits at a time, maybe have like a selection button that you can click multiple traits for and only show agents with both traits or however many traits you select. Selecting just 1 trait still brings up a decent sized list and then you have to do it again for the other trait needed to check that list, being able to narrow it down by adding traits selected would help a lot.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I'd prefer to have different ways of filtering the tasks themselves. I generally start my agent choices at the end of the pre-sorted list, and roll with just checking those. Like, the last common agent before the rares start to be listed again. I've had fairly good success with that - I can usually get above 90%.

However. I switch between 6 hour and 12 hour tasks, depending on the time of day. Not having to click thru every single one to find the correct time would be beneficial for me. My second account, I only do ones that match the time requirement AND give the collection fragments. So being able to sort by one or both would be a great help. Admittedly, I'll adjust her time schedule and just have dead-time on it to ENSURE that I get that collection task. But being able to sort thru without having to click each task, check the time, then check the reward would be great.
    Yinla likes this.