Overseer Conversion Quest Timers are Wrong

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Morigaine, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Morigaine Elder

I was unable to find this already reported, so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread from an existing bug report.

When starting and of the Conversion quests in overseer, the duration in the quest entry is reported as 10s. I don't know exactly when it changed, but now upon activation of the quest, the actual quest completion time is slightly over 1 minute. So I don't know if this was changed intentionally and the quest entry duration was not updated, but I have been able to reproduce this consistently every time across multiple accounts at any time of day (which if related to lag, should be eliminated at off hours)
    Nanilu and Viper1 like this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Check your computer time down to the second vs the atomic clock. Setting internet time source to pool.ntp.org is more reliable than time.windows.com.
    https://time.gov/
    Zynt, Raytan and Nanilu like this.
  3. Morigaine Elder

Interesting. I never knew about that and have never had such a tight clock dependence in EQ. I have followed your recommendation and will test. Thanks for the help.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

I did conversion today and it took 10s.
    Toruch Fleshrot likes this.
  5. Soulbanshee Augur

Because on timed things, if it were up to the client to say when things were ready or expired it would be too easy to modify that client side. So the server tells the client "x will be done at this time" or something of that nature, when the client time is off it can get confused and things do not work in the expected amount of time. Without looking at the code can't be certain but observing the side effects I can speculate it is something based off timestamps from the server and having to run calculations off that.
  6. Morigaine Elder

Just to provide an update confirmation. Soulbanshee's recommendation did fix the problem.

Note to Dev - While this is not an EQ coding bug and the thread can be marked resolved, it might merit a note on Overseer somewhere to let players know what can cause quest timer distortions. I'm certain I'm not the only user who just uses standard default windows clock management.

Soul - thanks again
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

It's not just overseer, anything based off the client time will be off. Abilities take longer to refresh, mercs take longer to refresh after getting killed, and certain other things outside EQ could go wrong too, like trying to check your Windows activation against the Microsoft servers.
  8. Nanilu Journeyman

Wow... worth refreshing this thread. I was about to report this "bug" because Overseer always advertises 10seconds for a Conversion quest but it ended being several minutes every time (about 3.5 minutes per conversion). I searched for this issue prior to opening a bug report and this thread and solution appeared. I set my internet time to update with pool.ntp.org and poof!... problem was fixed without the need to relog. My Overseer Conversions are now 10 seconds in duration.

I'm sure others have the same issue so refreshing this thread is sure to solve other's similar problem.

Thanks for posting this solution.
    Zynt likes this.
  9. Raytan Augur

Thanks. I tended to get up as high as 35 seconds on a 10 second conversion. Always assumed it was tied to the lag and the monthly patch seemed to take care of it. My clock syncing was probably near the same time. Tried your pool.ntp.org and went from 35 seconds to 10 seconds. I'll keep an eye on that from now on.

Thanks again.
  10. Nanilu Journeyman

I kid you not, my Overseer conversions were about 3 1/2 minutes each and I'd wait that long before proceeding to the next conversion. It was a pain. This solution of changing the time server fixed it all up and I was so thrilled to see that it now only takes 10 seconds per conversion. I have no idea how it works but I'm just very glad someone posted that solution :)
  11. Raytan Augur

I almost didn't post, because the thread was getting that old, but worked so well for me, just had to. "Player Support" would seem to be a better place, but at first glance it does seem like a bug. Maybe a sticky in player support, but I think most people initially think bug once it gets up to 35 seconds or 3 1/2 minutes :).
    Nanilu likes this.
  12. Gr8fuldave Augur

Will someone please explain what the Overseer conversion quests do? What are you converting? When would I do these and why? I typically just do 12 hour or 24 hour quests.
  13. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

You are converting 3 agents of a level for 1 random of the next higher level (so 3 commons make 1 uncommon, etc). It's the fastest way to get higher level agents, rather than wait for the uncommon/rare/elite recruit quests. Generally speaking, once you have enough agents, you want to start converting your duplicates so that you can eventually get one of every agent possible.

You can do the reverse through retiring an agent ... there's a button on the agent page (second tab) in the upper right. When you retire an agent, you can get xp in type of quest line OR 2 agents of a lower rank.
    Nanilu and Gr8fuldave like this.