Ornamentation Augmentation idea

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Axomar, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Axomar New Member

Dear EQ team

Back in the old days there was a /feedback function, but now I just get a link to the main page of the forums. I don't know if I post this the right place, or even if someone else posted the idea before me, so apologies in advance if any of that is the case.

The idea is simple based on the fact that you sometimes raid or quest in an older expansion and get an awesome looking item that suits just your character's looks, but the stats aren't really anything near what you can easily obtain in a newer expansion.

Examples would be
    • Shield of Bane Warding by quested in Luclin
    • Whorl of Unnatural Forces from Quarm in PoTime
    • Spear of Fate from doing Shaman Epic 1.0.
    • Etc.
    And yes I know you can buy some of these specific ornamentations in the marketplace already. However I see the problem if you want every visually cool item also established as an ornamentation augmentation. It would be too many augmentations to have in the marketplace to navigate for the users. Not feasible. Probably also harder to code into the game software.

What if I could get (as loot from a kill, from in-game vendor or using DB from the marketplace) a 1-slot container, that when I put my awesome looking item into it at hit combine, it becomes a type 21 augmentation that will change whatever item I insert it into to look like the item combined inside that container.

This means of course that you need to actually own the item (obtain it from questing or raiding) in order to use it as ornamentation, basically letting you use that slightly better and easily found Defiant armor piece but looking as great as the hard-earned quested or raided for item in an older expansion.

The idea could even make it more of a challenge obtaining hard-to-get raid loot not only for stats but also for looks, and might give advanced players reason to revisit older expansions again. Triple the fun.

And it should be a relatively easy thing to code into the game software.

Keep EQ up, it's still a great game :)
    FatheadGuildLuclin likes this.
  2. tyrantula Elder

They have this implemented on one of the EQEmu servers. It was fantastic.
  3. Monkman Augur

This is basically the transmog system from WoW.

It’s been asked for dozens of times already on the forums.

The devs have said that it is not as easy as you make it seem, essentially they have to create thousands of “new items” in the form of type 21 ornaments. It’s not just copy paste all these items delete the stats and make them type 21. If it was that easy they probably would have done it.

Also epic ornaments exist already

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=6803
  4. Monkman Augur

I will add however, one opportunity they could take advantage of to compromise would be to continue the player crafted weapon ornaments introduced in Underfoot

https://everquest.fandom.com/wiki/Crafted_Ornamentation

Sure, we wouldn’t get all of them that we want, but would be cool to see a dozen or so new ones added each expansion.
  5. Allayna Augur

I'd love to "crush" old weapons into ornaments that look like them. Take a primary, secondary, range item, place it into a DBG station cash or loyalty or wtf-ever case, hit combine and it transforms it from an item....to an ornament with that graphic.
  6. tyrantula Elder

That's the thing, someone has already done the leg work. All they need to do is reach out to the EQEmu community and I bet someone would do this for a nominal fee, if a fee at all.