Opt-in PvP system for 1 or more (future or current) TLPs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MoveFastRZ, Aug 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machen New Member

Ok fair enough. I don't think it will matter but I support this change for the handful of players that would take advantage. It should be simple enough.
  2. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Nothing you're saying makes any sense. Blue players can already KS with zero consequences. Are you somehow suggesting that a red player KSing someone while red and then going blue is more objectionable than someone KSing on a blue toon? Weird.

Also, if you read the post (something I would still encourage you to do, since you obviously haven't), you would see that lockouts and quest turn-ins could be used to minimize this kind of abuse.

However, I must point out that Red99 never implemented these quests, as far as I'm aware. Meaning that you can flag and unflag for PvP instantly on P99. Guess what? The P99 forums don't show any evidence of this being used by red players to grief each other.

I guess that scenario must simply be a ridiculous idea cooked up by some angry anti-PvP guy to make a bizarrely aggrieved keyboard-warrior argument against any kind of help for PvP players in EQ.
  3. Captain Video Augur

There is no quest on any server, TLP or Live, to switch back from red to blue. Once you flag your character as red, then you're red forever, unless you try to /petition it, which I am given to understand is very rarely reversed. This is all by design. If players were able to switch back and forth between red and blue at will, there is all sorts of room for abuse, and the last thing they want is to have to face a deluge of abuse-related petitions.

For anyone who wants to "try out" PvP, there are two accepted methods:

1) Roll on Zek.
    2) Roll on Test or /testcopy an existing character to the Test server, and go red with that character. This method pretty much requires that you have one or more friends willing to do the same test at the same time, as there is no pre-existing PvP community on Test.
  4. Rauven Augur

You started with the personal attack, so you can go f-yourself as far as I am concerned.

You've shown your true colors. You want a system with no consequence to yourself so that you can troll others. Period. You're a POS.

They don't have the gall to do that. Not that Zek is a dangerous server. Nowhere even close to what Sullon Zek was. Or many other truly PVP capable games.
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

A quest to flip back to blue isn't the worst idea and while it may take very few development resources, nothing takes zero except doing nothing. This idea has merit but would need to be fleshed out a bit, how fast can you flip back and forth? can you preloot whatever items you are suggesting? Are there items that are near every starting city that are common to every starting city or does each PoD have a unique set of items for turn in?
    /zekcopy is probably a better idea, play whatever server you want, level up without getting ganked and then go pvp on equal (or however close you want to get) with the others on the actual pvp server.
  6. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

My understanding is that the dev intention on P99 was to make it random items--mostly tradable--so that you got a new set of requirements every time you talked to the Priest of Order. However, they didn't go forward with that, so it's just an instant change at this point, and lo and behold--despite the very active P99 PvP community that is constantly flooding their forums with demands for a server reset--P99 Blue/Green have not found that allowing de-flagging has led to rampant abuse among red players who migrate to the blue server.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the quest. I would just do a long lockout. 72 hours or something. Simplest way to make abuse highly inconvenient. If the most anti-social 0.01 percent of players want to constantly cycle their lockouts and act like insane people during the last few hours before they go from red to blue, um, OK, that's fine. It's a very narrow window for abuse by a very small group of people, with very minimal potential consequencs.
  7. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

First, I don't think you understand what 'gall' means. It's not the same as guts or balls or what have you. It means the courage to insult someone or be impudent to them.

Second, I played on Zek (and the previous Zeks) for years and years and years. So um, color me galled?

It's not difficult to understand--if you would listen--that pretty much every PvP player would rather have a high-population PvP server where they can access decent groups, a lively guild scene and a working economy. But we understand that the PvP population is too small. So we'd like to be able to play on blue servers with a minimum of penalties for doing so as red players, and with the maximum ability to access open-world PvP. That requires a compromise, and creating an opt-in system for PvP is an inexpensive one to develop.
  8. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

If this is the case, why did P99 create precisely this feature for "CSR reasons"?
    (https://wiki.project1999.com/Priest_of_Order)

Maybe because people do petition to have their characters changed back to PvE/blue, but basically nobody petitions about griefing that arises from having the option to remove the flag yourself.

As for "trying out" PvP--this isn't a thread asking for a way to do that, and I don't recall seeing any threads that ask for that. I regularly see threads asking for a way to preserve the PvP playstyle for a the vocal minority of players who have been engaged in it for two decades now. Neither of the solutions you suggested solve that problem.
  9. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Careful OP, It aint safe on these forums.
  10. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Safe is overrated. I just want to play PvP EverQuest on a functioning server without locking myself out of 99 percent of the benefits of that server. I won't hassle anybody and I won't make anyone regret investing the effort to make this happen. I'll just pay my sub, buy some krono, and otherwise act like a good customer. Help a guy out.
  11. HekkHekkHekk Augur

Id say take it further and also grant bonus xp while flagged.
  12. Captain Video Augur

If you want to play by P99 rules, by all means play on a P99 server. You have less than zero chance of that being implemented here. For one thing, the player communities are completely different. For another, P99 >stops< at Velious, where there are too few mechanics in play to worry all that much about PvP griefing. Anything done on a DPG server has to work in the Live ruleset.
  13. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

What in God's name are you talking about? There are more 'mechanics' post-Velious that fuel griefing? What mechanics are you referring to? Have you ever even played on a red server? The P99 PvP server community would LOL at this idea, in light of just how insane the griefing on that server was--far worse than on any Live EQ server. Live offers the fewest opportunities for griefing because the QoL changes drastically reduce the impact of dying in PvP.

I don't want to play on a P99 server. I don't want corpse runs and all that other weird, outdated stuff that characterizes that experience. I want to play the commercial game with an opt-in PvP mechanic included, just like WoW and basically every other successful MMO have used for years now.
    HekkHekkHekk likes this.
  14. Rauven Augur

The P99 PVP community has less people in it than most of the Conan Exiles servers (70/70) I've played on, lol. That's not even a MMORPG.
  15. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

You're right. At this point that community is quite small. It wasn't always. Just another example of how segregating an already-niche segment of the playerbase on a prison-island server doesn't work in the long run. They need the option to play on a server where they can share in the population benefits of a PvE ruleset while engaging in PvP.
  16. Captain Video Augur

There is no P99 PvP "server community". At its prime-time peak, I doubt P99 Red cracks 75 players logged in, and the majority of those are AFK. There are more active players on Mischief alone than all of the P99 Legend server series (Green/Blue/Red) combined. Holding P99 up as a model completely shatters your argument. And if you don't understand the impact of hundreds of new spells, thousands of new AAs, and millions of DPS HP on PvP strategies, then you have no clue about the kinds of griefing that could take place in an opt-in system. I am more likely to get a date with Jennifer Garner. What's in your wallet?
  17. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Those 75 players are more than enough to tell you that exploiting and griefing in PvP is much easier in classic EQ than in Live. Which was your entire argument. So whose argument is shattered?

I'm not holding up P99 Red as an example, smart guy. I'm holding up ONE NPC from P99 BLUE (and Green) as an example of how to handle opt-in PvP on TLP servers. I'm using P99 Red to refute your ridiculous argument--based on zero experience--that griefing is much easier to do on Live servers.

Believe me, there are more than enough abilities in classic EQ to make griefing possible, and as for the DPS that gets added with later abilities--it makes PvP pointless, but it doesn't make griefing any easier.

Saying a bunch of cranky stuff doesn't mean that you're actually making a point or responding to the argument I made in my original post. It just means a PvP player apparently killed your father or something, because you can't respond to any ideas posed by one without getting your undies in a wad.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Intersting idea.

At what level/expansion does PVP become unfun?

Maybe instead of a quest, have it set that when the player reaches X level or X epansion they become blue. I've seen lots of threads from people wanting PVP, just doesn't make much sense to me to be able to flip flop from red to blue every coulpe of days. A set point in time to go blue when PVP is no longer fun might be a better option.

Maybe if enough go red for long enough it might warent a dedicated PVP server the next time round. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.