One Zerker's Take

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Denhbers, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Denhbers Elder

Warning: rather long post.

I switched mains from a shaman to a zerker in 2005. The community's response to this nerf has been eye-opening to me--in a bad way. Hey, I know all classes get screwed over now and then. But I know that it doesn't bring me joy when other classes get screwed.

I never bragged about being top dps in previous guilds, nor did I throw it in anyone's face. I was there to do my best and help my guild beat an event, I could care less what my numbers were, except for using them as a benchmark for self-improvement.

What I do care about is the enjoyment I get playing a zerker, and being a contributor on raids--not just being filler. I wish I could enjoy another class. But I don't. On top of that, my zerker has all the accomplishments and fun little trinkets of a main that's played for years and years.

Despite dying all the time, I love soloing/moloing as a zerker and testing my limits. I love murdering old school content. I absolutely love raiding and the thrill of beating "the next event" with a guild. It had been such a joy coming back to EQ...

I left EQ three years ago partially because the zerker class had been handicapped and stagnated to the point of near uselessness.

How did this happen? Two words: Frenzied Resolve. It was the nerf that kept on nerfin'.

I hate being rooted more than anything in EQ. I am by necessity a "mouse-looker" and root just simply messes with my brain. If a mob does it to me, it's like, "Good show, mobby, you got me. Argh." But make me do that to myself? What were you thinking, devs, seriously.

It was as if the devs thought that their contrived self-root abomination was their greatest invention ever. They couldn't just make it obsolete, either. I come back, level from 100 to 105, and now have an AA "Drawn to Blood." Just get rid of this root garbage and give us something different.. Oh look, disconcerting....

I can compromise and say disconcerting was OP. But the nerf to it is just another example of ill-conceived heavy-handedness. I know all classes get the nerf bat.

I'm torn, though, because I enjoy my guild and its people. If Frenzied Resolve is a "big thing" again, it's possible I'll have to go a different direction. I really hate it that much, even with the "fix" AA. That whole "separate the good zerkers from bad" commentary is seriously ridiculous. Screw "Drawn to Blood." Screw having to start off my main burn by being at 90% health. Yay Open Wound (zerker ability).

I enjoyed EQ raids a lot more when talent was mostly about reaction, focus, positioning, staying alive, hitting a few burn buttons here and there, at the right times. Personally, I miss how immersed I was in the raids when I didn't have to focus 90% of my attention to frantically mashing all sorts of buttons/macros.

Maybe I just have to accept that the game I love has passed me by.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Any reason you keep posting in a super tiny font? Most people aren't going to bother reading it.
    Sindaiann, Fanra, Sheex and 1 other person like this.
  3. Warpeace Augur

Should be warning....very small font:(
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

"Maybe I just have to accept that the game I love has passed me by."
    That was the last line of the OP's post.
  5. Moege Augur

Was for me, tried to read the first line the said /stuff it

Summation from somebody who bothered or can it just be summed up as "rant".
  6. beefersuther New Member

lol if yall to lazy to read more power to ya i guess.... betting a dollar yall play a pet class . anyway , yes this was a very heavy handed nerf to a class whos only good at one thing , or rather was only good at one thing , having parsed before and after it going to take some doing to be able to compete at any lvl with rangers / rogues / necros / wizzy , hell maybe even monks now , we shall see. If the goal of this nerf was to make zerker the last option of dps class to invite to the raid or even group content , very well done DB . i love this class however and will tuff this nerf out and make the best out of it that i can , until the day that its possible to obtain top spot in a raid again , wich is where this dps class belongs.
  7. Cicelee Augur

Which developer ever said that the top DPS spot on a raid must be a berserker?
    fransisco likes this.
  8. Phrovo1 Augur

if you get beaten by monks, maybe you should consider talking to another zerker about rotations, monks have pretty much stagnated since rof (only meaningful change to our rotation was dicho since then)
  9. Godwin Journeyman

Do the developers ever say anything? - If so, which one pitched Disconcerting to begin with, then folded when they made an in era disc irrelevant? Now we go back to using RoF discs.. good showing ol' chap.
  10. beefersuther New Member

u can quote me , good monks are going to out sustain good zerkers now.
  11. Cicelee Augur

Question for the main raid berserkers out there-

If you were doing 90k DPS on a sustained event for seven months, and during that time you saw rogues/monks/rangers/beastlords doing 220k DPS on that same event for the same time period... would you be cool and super happy for them?

Bonus question: If you did 240k on a burn event for seven months, and during that time you saw the abovementioned​ classes doing 520k DPS... would you be cool and super happy for them?

If the answer is no, then you understand the nerf.
    fransisco likes this.
  12. beefersuther New Member

even monks are hitting 125k + sustained... so if your hitting 90k id get with someone , as far as one class being able to output more then anyone else by the margin a zerker was able to , no thats not good for anyone . but for the answer to be to throw zerkers back into rof era disciplines making them simply , not able to keep up at all on a competitive level with rogue wizzy ranger and yes now monks , then this action should be justified with some form of either information from devs on how they decided to completly gut this class down to a last pick for raid dps slot's , or some form of utility to make it somewhat viable . this is of course just my opinion and appreciate counter points that i might not be thinking about , perhaps zerker is able to pull in some fashion as reliably as bard , monk , rogue , necro and i just havent stumbled across this method yet , or perhaps were able to tank raid mobs for small doses of time like monk's , rogue , rangers when crap hits the fan long enough to res a tank , and im simply overlooking this discipline. perhaps we have some form of aa buff that i havent invested in or seen that no other raid member is able to supply that greatly increases a raids chance at success . feedback on any one of these things that makes the other classes so amazing that i might have missed in regards to a zerkers contribution would be greatly appreciated . but as far as i know zerker was always meant to be a glass cannon .. now were just glass.
  13. Treiln Augur

If nerfing one ability makes a class no longer playable/desirable, you're playing the wrong class.

If one ability makes you outshine every other class in your respective role, it needs a nerf. (I will admit that 75% seems a bit harsh - start with 50% and fine tune?)

From my understanding, your dps will drop (which always sucks, I'm sorry), but now you're having to weave in other discs/abilities to keep up Yeah? So in the end it's a little more work, for a little less reward. But it's not game breaking is it?
  14. beefersuther New Member

zerker throughout its history has been one of the most undertuned class in the game , there have been spikes of competitive dps from a zerker over the years , but is usually nerfed to the ground shortly after. this ONE ABILITY made us competitive , granted WAY to competitive in terms of potential output . but they were there able to beat the other classes , its the sheer size of this nerf that throws zerker back down to sub melee dps status . the fact that we have other old era burns we can pop does not bring us to the level of the other classes , it just means that with the new gear we can do a lil bit more dmg then we were doing in rof . . . . the disc that was nerfed was the only EOK ERA disc we had and it has been gutted completly and absolutly . instead of tuning it down but still allowing us to be viable we have simply been thrown back to old era discs , that often cause us dmg throughout its duration , or blind us making us rely on a tether type ability that simply leashes u to a mob without u knowing, after a mob has moved if your attacking its front , back or side. zerker will have to jump through hoops , and break there back to be able to compete in anyway with any other class and chances are after all that they still wont be in the top five in sustainable output, and considering the lack of utility or any other abilities other then dps out put oriented abilities , its simply goofballs .
  15. Denhbers Elder

I'm very sorry about the small font. It looked big on my computer. Unfortunately it's too late to edit my original post.
  16. Denhbers Elder

Here's my post in a bigger font: Again, my apologies.
    Warning: rather long post.
    I switched mains from a shaman to a zerker in 2005. The community's response to this nerf has been eye-opening to me--in a bad way. Hey, I know all classes get screwed over now and then. But I know that it doesn't bring me joy when other classes get screwed.
    I never bragged about being top dps in previous guilds, nor did I throw it in anyone's face. I was there to do my best and help my guild beat an event, I could care less what my numbers were, except for using them as a benchmark for self-improvement.
    What I do care about is the enjoyment I get playing a zerker, and being a contributor on raids--not just being filler. I wish I could enjoy another class. But I don't. On top of that, my zerker has all the accomplishments and fun little trinkets of a main that's played for years and years.
    Despite dying all the time, I love soloing/moloing as a zerker and testing my limits. I love murdering old school content. I absolutely love raiding and the thrill of beating "the next event" with a guild. It had been such a joy coming back to EQ...
    I left EQ three years ago partially because the zerker class had been handicapped and stagnated to the point of near uselessness.
    How did this happen? Two words: Frenzied Resolve. It was the nerf that kept on nerfin'.
    I hate being rooted more than anything in EQ. I am by necessity a "mouse-looker" and root just simply messes with my brain. If a mob does it to me, it's like, "Good show, mobby, you got me. Argh." But make me do that to myself? What were you thinking, devs, seriously.
    It was as if the devs thought that their contrived self-root abomination was their greatest invention ever. They couldn't just make it obsolete, either. I come back, level from 100 to 105, and now have an AA "Drawn to Blood." Just get rid of this root garbage and give us something different.. Oh look, disconcerting....
    I can compromise and say disconcerting was OP. But the nerf to it is just another example of ill-conceived heavy-handedness. I know all classes get the nerf bat.
    I'm torn, though, because I enjoy my guild and its people. If Frenzied Resolve is a "big thing" again, it's possible I'll have to go a different direction. I really hate it that much, even with the "fix" AA. That whole "separate the good zerkers from bad" commentary is seriously ridiculous. Screw "Drawn to Blood." Screw having to start off my main burn by being at 90% health. Yay Open Wound (zerker ability).
    I enjoyed EQ raids a lot more when talent was mostly about reaction, focus, positioning, staying alive, hitting a few burn buttons here and there, at the right times. Personally, I miss how immersed I was in the raids when I didn't have to focus 90% of my attention to frantically mashing all sorts of buttons/macros.
    Maybe I just have to accept that the game I love has passed me by.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

No one. But being super happy about a huge nerf that takes it under other classes to *ANY* class is downright stupid. It's going to hurt groups, it's going to hurt raids. If all you can think about is OMG they do better than my class, then you're being shortsighted.

Was something needing to be done? Sure, but why does it always need to be an extreme nerf? Why not a more gentle adjustment and next expansion bring other classes up while not doing a whole lot to the over powered class? It happens over and over and over and simply results in a whole lot of bitterness that could be avoided.
    Denhbers likes this.
  18. Phrovo1 Augur

as it should be, makes far more sense than mediocre zerkers that hit 3 buttons matching or slightly pulling ahead of good monks
  19. Cicelee Augur

Never once said I personally was super happy at this nerf. I do think something had to be done, and majority of realistic main berserkers also felt something had to be done. Maybe the nerf went to far (sometimes they do), but whenever there is a nerf to a class you get these "OMG SKY IS FALLING" threads that tend to exaggerate the negatives far more than what actually occurred...
  20. Godwin Journeyman

Your previous post (and can quote if necessary) would imply that you were now super happy and cool that zerkers can not double the dps of other classes..fyi.

And again, I think we all agree a nerf was necessary - I don't see anyone arguing that. But a fair question to ask "Why" gut the disc all together and make it irrelevant and send us back to RoF discs? Why not a fine tune and 30ish or even 50% reduction in the disc ..