Once again Euro guilds get the short end of the stick

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Smokezz The Bane Crew

If you factor in the cost of AWS, it wouldn't make much sense at all. EQ isn't made up of just 20 "servers", it's a lot of different servers that make up one actual EQ server from how it was explained long ago. Running that on a cloud provider would end up being pretty costly vs. running it on your own VMWare (or other virtualization) stack.
  2. fransisco Augur

seriously? Yes, DayBreak is TOTALLY trying to ruin fun for EU players.
    Its a Pacific Coast dev shop, so all patch times (surprise) will happen on their schedule.
    Belexes and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It's hard to do updates at weird times if it requires multiple staff members to be present for it. Generally you need to be in the office at the normal times of the day, and staying late to update can be hard in conjunction with that. I say this as I sit in my office on a Friday night, having come in at 1pm so I could stay until 9pm to swap out a hard drive on a web server. It's easy because I'm the only one that needs to be here to do it. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck, but luckily in my case it doesn't happen very often.

With as often as patches and maintenance happen, doing more than one or two at off-hours would really complicate the lives of the devs. It really can disrupt their lives. Like right now I could be at home eating some awesome buffalo chicken dip, but no, this stupid hard drive decided it needed to be failing. Stupid HD!
    fransisco and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Might as well complain about the time the super bowl is played. "This is ridiculous! When will euros get to watch a super bowl in our prime time!"

It is a U.S. based game, suck it up buttercup.
    UncleUms and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  5. Vdidar Augur

I’m not sure you could take that statement any more out of context if you tried lol
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

We use Terraform to set up AWS, so that dynamic infrastructure is part of the code itself.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Patches used to start at 4am PST, then they changed them to 6am PST, the last has been 10am PST.

So now they are hitting at Euro Raid times, we used to have the odd cancellation if the patch went over its time, or AB needed additional time on top, but now the whole night is a right off.

Just bring back the 17 hour patches and mess up everyone day. :p
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Strange this this has only started affecting us the last 6 months or so. For 17 year this wasn't an issue unless it was those lovely 17 hour patches, or a patch to fix a patch where everyone got hit. :)
  9. Quiverr Journeyman

I played in a Euro Guild on Mith Marr
    Soon as patches were done we'd kill everything on the server while Afterlife were still in bed.
    What goes around comes around lol.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Credit where credit is due.

Thank you for doing tomorrows patch at 6:30 AM PST - 2:30 PM GMT :)

A few hours makes a lot of difference. :)
    Koryu likes this.
  11. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Thanks for that! :)
  12. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Completely screws me over, as I like to grind a few AA before work. I wish Daybreak would take into consideration my feelings and schedule before doing things and make me sad =(
  13. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

Feelings......
  14. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Only you conveniently forget that this hasn't always been the case.
    At one point in the not-too-distant past they decided to move patching times squarely into Euro prime time...
    I recall times when i could get home from work (relatively) late, patch in all leisure and still be online for prime-time playtimes.
    All i had to factor in was the typical half an hour for the actual patching.
    That was because servers were down around noon Berlin time, not at 20:00...

As Yinla said above: an our or two make a lot of difference (provided there is no patching the patch as is required so often).
    So yes, if a patch is DONE by 19:00CET or 20:00CET at the latest, that's much appreciated.

Personally i wouldn't mind a rotating patching either, based on server-timezones or so:
    Patch US pacific servers whenever they want, and Euro server 17-19hrs later...
    So it's not us who test the new patch first either.
    I'd so be looking forward to seeing all the drama from US players on these forums when they have to suffer patch+repatch and patch of the repatch during THEIR prime time, spoiling effectively a whole day each month and then some!
  15. UncleUms Journeyman

So you don't get to raid one day a month (sometimes God forbid two) because you play a game, based in America, run on an American west coast schedule, and you come here time and time again to complain expecting something to change. How about NOT scheduling raids on known patch days (the same for the past 15 years) and accepting the fact that sometimes emergency patches happen as do many things in life.
    Toruch Fleshrot likes this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

How about you read my post from yesterday?
    That was a thank you for returning the patch back to its earlier time.
    Imrahil likes this.
  17. Zhaunil_AB Augur

How about stopping being a jerk and take into consideration what YOU'd feel like - and the other people in your timezone - if THEY were always missing "a raid day"?

Btw:
    It's not about loosing raid days for me - we have done our T1 raids for the week.
    And none of OUR guilds are chasing lockout timers at all, so we need a few more weeks to get the flags for T2 and more 5raid-day-weeks.
    It's about playing time in general...

The thing is that patching is SQUARELY in our prime playing time, for the most part.
    You know:
    People go to work, come home from work at 18:00 or 19:00 or 20:00...
    Then they fire up their EQ clients to find... "server's locked".
    They wait..
    At 21:00, if lucky, the patch is done - which then means the usual difficulties with downloading the files.
    Not to mention re-patching and re-re-patching.
    You can call yourself lucky if you get to play at ALL on a patch day if you are a euro player.

Who cares where the company is based at too?
    The server's Euro-based, with a mostly euro playerbase - which is not too insignificant in numbers too.
    There's a plethora of timezones that have no active playerbase, no own server or at most one guild active...
    People cannot tell me it's "required" to patch at the times we're having them atm.
    Especially when i think back to before my break (as mentioned above), when patching was done so that it was DONE by the time we came home from work - like from 12:00 to 17:00CET.
    I don't do servicing/patching on a system either when my client base is actually using my software - i wait until they've gone home or make sure that i am done (including a fallback-restore in case of a failure) by the time they arrive.
    And there's even scheduling software out there that allows for unattended (or minimum manpower) rollouts...

But yeah, i understand you - i really do!
    You're just a typical representative of the self-centered crowd here that's like "Hey, it's not affecting me, so why bother - let these whiners whine as long as they playtest any changes for me i am happy".
    Really great attitude you're displaying there, bud!
    God forbid they'd ever DARE to do patching starting at 19:00Eastern US and lasting up to 5hrs, so that effectively the whole US playerbase were affected in some way.
    YOU wouldn't complain then, i am sure.
    After all, it's a US based company, so it'd be natural that they patch during US playtimes...
    *rolls eyes*
  18. fransisco Augur

wow, must be a slow news day lol
    UncleUms likes this.
  19. Dailor Augur

Kick rocks, Frenchy.
  20. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Seems like just shutting down AB is the easiest solution to a whole host of on going issues.
    UncleUms likes this.