Oltimer returning with a couple questions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by OldManRob, Sep 18, 2017.

1. OldManRob Journeyman

Hello all,
    After many years away I'm returning to EQ and loving it.
    I'm on FV and playing an Iksar necro and starting from scratch. I'm now level 16 with starter gear from the tutorial and crescent reach quests.
    I remember map packs and a better mapping add on but what's the best one for the newest version of EQ?
    Anything I should do this early in my career before I'm either too high or is really a good use of time?
    My play style is solo and I'm not going into hard-core raiding so I'm just playing for fun and old memories. I left after DoN so I have no clue about newer stuff but I'll work my way through and eventually get into a casual guild for progression. But for now what should I make sure I do now and what gear drops should I be trying for?
    I'm not burning cash so I'm staying to stuff that's quested or dropped so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Another old man back again
  2. Questoften32 Augur

Brenwall or goods maps.

At 16 try for rough defiant by 30 you should have a set, buy your jewelry at pok vender, next to mores zone in to pok.

Get mantel belt and cloak from daily.

When your lvl 26 for example, you can do 3 daily tasks but have to take them all at once and in that range for it to work. A simple task level, 20,25 and 30.

Repeat next time at 36 for, tasks: 30,35 and 40 and so on...do you see?

3 daily but at range and taken all at once or wont work.

This if not with twink gear, if twink gear none of this matters much.
  3. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Start early to work on those seldom-used casting-skills.
    For a NEC i think that's mainly divination?

You need not worry too much about gear.
    Keep any usable defiant that drops of course.
    TSS zones have some "ok" to "good" armor quests for the level - Alla and other sites (EQResource Item-DB for example) are quite helpful there if you are missing pieces and feel the need to gear up.
    In PoK near the Crescent Reach stone are some vendors you might want to see, as was said above.

Generally, i would stick to old-world zones as much as possible for the pure leveling.
    "A simple task" from Teek in PoK is "ok" i guess (it's main "pro" argument is, i think, that it gives an indication of where to hunt without referring to the zone guide), but many zones are quite out of the way so the traveltime can be spent better elsewhere, unless you want the 3items mentioned above.

At these levels, you level generally far too quickly though to really be worried about gear though.
  4. OldManRob Journeyman

Are there othervdaily quests givers? PoK daily adventure wouldn't give me a quest at 16, requires 75.
    I must be at the wrong place. Did you mean something besides the daily adventures?
  5. Scorrpio Augur

There is Clayton Teek, who gives out adventures: instanced tasks that require lvl 75+ groups. There is also Franklin Teek who gives out daily tasks in current hot zones. You need to tell him what lvl task you want(increments of 5)

But really, at 16, there should still be plenty of quests/tasks around Crescent Reach/Moors.
  6. OldManRob Journeyman

Ty
  7. Pootle Elder

The Iksar Necro cap quest chain is pretty fun, I did it a little while ago. However bear in mind it was designed to be done back when Kunark came out and there was a lot of groups in the places you need to hunt. Some of the wandering rare mobs are tough to spawn and I had to resort to using me high lev Druid to mass-kill and track.

Part 1 is here...
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=97
  8. OldManRob Journeyman

I remember doing that one many years ago :)
    It seems gear is so much better now. The tutorial and the armor drops are pretty good for random stuff. I've hit int cap at lvl twenty and that used to take longer. I really need to work on resists but I can't complain about my gear.
    The language thing on FV is problematic but workable. I'm looking for a guide on setting up keys similar to what I used on the CH chain back in my raiding days.
    So much to remember but it's fun.
    Thanks to everyone who had suggestions.
  9. Geroblue Augur

The hide collector, rats and snakes, is given out by the post near the path to Crescent Reach. The snakes bit for 14 hp damage of poison per round.

At 20th, take on the treants, Roanoak gives out that quest.

At 30th, take on the white rats north of the crater in Blightfire. Watch out for the Northern Moorewalker, and the thorn bushes.

Then if you are careful, at 40th, you might go to the Great Divide and take on a Frost Giant Scout or Berserker.

Moloing the above can be difficult, but is doable.
    OldManRob likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Just something to remember on the Teeks. Clayton gives out the "bonus" HA to the original HA that is given by npc in HA zones like Marla in Tainted Karana or Gibble in Dead Hills. He will also port you there. This allows you to earn 2 x experience while doing one HA - but all these are level 75 so you don't need now.He used to live in Tainted West Karana so after you got the basic mission you could stop by him on the way and pick up the bonus. But now the bonus's are also given out for Lcea and Plane of Health so he needed to be more centralized.

Franklin Teek is his cousin and is the one that will give you the tasks for the hot zones starting at level 20. You can still fight in the hot zone without the tasks and earn exp - a hot zone is a hot zone and the augs from them drop even when they are not on Franklins list. And they will probably change with today's patch - I forget when the in game calendar said the next change would be)
  11. OldManRob Journeyman

Does anyone hunt Unrest anymore?
  12. Treiln Augur

Experience comes so fast at lower levels, that the walk to Unrest almost wouldn't be worth the time. But you do whatever makes you happy. I still take all my lower level toons through Kurns Tower simply because I love the nostalgia from when I first played there.

Edit: Since experience comes so quick, people prefer to stay in a centralized area, or with minimal travel to burn through levels as fast as possible. So in the time you would have traveled to Unrest, you could be up 1,2,3-5 levels :)
    OldManRob likes this.
  13. kinadafz Augur

Unrest is awesome xp Rob, but it is still agro city. If you stick to the outside, you will be fine, just don't get greedy because one add, as I'm sure you remember, is a chain effect to a TRRRAAAIIINNN.

I boxed the ghost with my crew and the hand. It felt....just freeking awesome being down there and getting a jagged band and some work boots...that made me smile :)

I was going to go to Mistmoore next, but it was a high level revamp at that time, which I found out..quickly. coincidentally I found out Crushbone was on a high level revamp also.
    OldManRob likes this.
  14. Sely New Member

Follow your Achievements, Hero's Journey, progression, do all of Crescent Reach tasks listed and you will have nice jewelry and armor for your first trip into Blightfire. You will be around level 20 by the time you have all of the CR progression done, it's worth it.
    OldManRob likes this.
  15. OldManRob Journeyman

thanks for the advice :)
    Glad to be back
  16. OldManRob Journeyman

I have fond memories of sitting near the ZO and suddenly getting swamped with a pull from inside lol
  17. Fian Augur

When you have a bag full of stuff, type /barter. You may find that players are buying some of the low level stuff that drops like lumber planks, fresh meat, and natural spices. One useful drop may net you 100pp which would be a big deal at your level.