Old spell effects.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by asmodethenaughty, Apr 8, 2015.

1. asmodethenaughty Lorekeeper

I have never really been a fan of the new spell effects. I loved the old classic spell effects. The visuals gradually got more powerful as you levelled up. I realise you can partially achieve this now by removing two spell files once your client is patched but it is no where near the same as it was.

Is DBG planning on add the old spell effects back in ? Cant imagine this would be too hard to implement and it would really add the classic feeling again.
    Trosh and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  2. fazool Augur

My favorite spell effect was line of sight fireballs. It was such high quality to see the fireball shot at your target. I remember a bug they had and the model file was missing so it substituted the small bag model (which was the default model) so in every battle my Mage was throwing luggage at the mobs :p
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  3. Trevalon Augur

I would hazard a guess this would be the exact same reason why we cannot have old NPC models or old zones, if they changed it on TLP it would effect all the other servers.

So I am willing to be quite a bit of PP that this is pretty much impossible to do.

Not to say I wish they couldn't cause I wish they could bring all the classic zones, npcs, and spell effects back...
  4. TelinDarkforest Journeyman

I have been wanting this for years. The problem I have identified is that the old spell effect emitter used to attach themselves to the root bones of the character model. So when your character moved their arms or knelt down, the particles would move in that direction as well. The newer spell effects were not designed with this detail in mind. So sometime between the direct x 9 client conversion, that data was removed. It'll partially work now as you said when deleting the spellsnew files and allowing the spells.eff to load by itself. It'll create the particle effects, but will only emit them at the caster and targets current location. Anything that used to be attached to the head, waist, hands, etc won't work properly.

The old spell effects still load along with the new ones. This is why you'll see some spells currently use the partially broken old spell effects. I noticed this one day while watching a twitch stream. If there is an invalid spell animation (out of range)set to a spell, it'll default to the old spell effect for that specific spell. If they did repair the old effects, this fact could allow them to use a blend of old an new effects or turn them on and off easily via a patch if they wanted to do that with the progression server.
  5. asmodethenaughty Lorekeeper

Thanks Telin. Thats an awesome explanation on how it all works. Sounds simple enough, but I can appreciate that DBG will be able to do somethings and somethings they cant do. Well I pray to the Norrathian gods and will keep my fingers and toes crossed and hope they see this and they are able to do something with it.
  6. TelinDarkforest Journeyman

Just in case everyone needs a reminder of what some of them used to look like:;) [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    jagarr likes this.
  7. asmodethenaughty Lorekeeper

Them pics give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :)
  8. TelinDarkforest Journeyman

I've never seen a dev post about this topic in any thread. Are there any opinions that the devs have on things like this? Is it difficult, time consuming, etc?
  9. Taledar Elder

thatd be so awesome to have the early spell effects. they were soo nice =(
  10. Trosh Augur

I would love the option to turn them on or off. They already exist, so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The main issue are newer spells that don't have any link to the old graphics, but I think it wouldn't be too hard to program something like if old=yes then use old, if old=no then use new. Plop an option in the patcher, and done!

I would LOVE to see old spell effects. I generally hate the new ones. Especially for things like the heal line, smite/stun line, fear spells and darkness line. Especially the fact that they look dorky till 24, then they look decent, then at 45(?) they get all spiffy.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  11. jagarr Augur

man, those spell FX were way ahead of their time. they still hold up well today!
  12. Vmas_Kelx_Fippy New Member

Also bring back the Old BAZAAR! =)[IMG]
    Irbax_Smoo and Xanadas like this.
  13. Xanadas Augur

Yes. Old Bazaar PLEASE.
  14. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

I used to lag like crazy in old baz
  15. Taledar Elder

Old bazaar was so beautiful, had a freakin arena in it too. Old EQ>all