Old graphics vs Luclin

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nefarr, Oct 21, 2012.

1. gonja New Member

Can someone provide directions on how to get the old Ogre Troll and Halfling skins back and leave everything else unchanged? I don't want to lose mounts or anything like that. Thank You!
  2. JupiterKnight Journeyman

You're quite the master of necromancy!

But now that this thread is the "skeleton in the room," I'll give you a hand...

You can change the options for which models you use by clicking the options setup button found on the game's launcher. It will open a program that lets you select which models you want to keep.

And, just for what it's worth, I prefer old models. I especially despise the Luclin elementals. The original floating torsos with massive, beefy arms looks way cooler.
  3. Melodya Journeyman

Ogres and Trolls are MUCH better with Classic Graphics.

Never seen any better Troll or Ogre-model than the Classic EQ ones in any game.

Doesn't get any more Unique and spot on like that.
    [IMG][IMG]
  4. Ravengloome Augur

Original models 4 Lyfe, Because that is how the game is intended to be played.
    Dre. likes this.
  5. Kamea Augur

I have no nostalgia for old graphics., so Luclin graphics. The polygons and animations were ahead of most single player games from that era. They hold up a lot better today than old graphics. They look quite sharp at high resolutions with forced anti-aliasing too.
    Dre. likes this.
  6. Ultrazen Augur

I absolutely hate the luclin graphics, all of them, and the horrible animations that come with them. If it ever got to a point where I couldn't use the old graphics, I'd quit instantly and never come back, I have that much hatred.
    Ravengloome and Dre. like this.
  7. Mardy Augur

Luclin models update was always a "downgrade" for me. They made all characters stand like they've got a stick up their rear. They made females way too bulky (my g/f's complaint). They've made many characters run like quasi modos. They've also managed to trash the pristine, cute looks of wood elf & dark elf females.

Yes Luclin models have better shapes, better detailed pixels, ability to mount, etc.. But whoever SOE hired to do the Luclin models really missed the mark in my opinion. They trashed how original halflings looked, they ruined my visions of dwarves and gnomes. Classic models had character and individuality. Barbarians looked barbarians, they didn't look like conan the barbarian clones. The sad thing is animation is still trashy with the new models.

Of course I run with luclin models now, mainly because I need the ability to mount. SOE should've revamped the character models 10 years ago, gave it better animation, and made the game look much better. Like what Blizzard did to WoW for their fans. SOE's quantity before quality business practice ultimately killed their position in the genre, and now post-merger & layoffs, we likely will never, ever, see any model upgrades in the future.

On the bright side, there are enough illusions available ingame for me to not have to look at these ugly luclin models. I try to mask myself with some form of illusion or another. Of course I probably would buy a lot more illusions if they put LoN illusions on the marketplace, made them account bound, and gave us all permanent illusions. But who am I kidding, they wouldn't do things that would make their fanbase happy and spend more money.
  8. Dre. Altoholic

Enabling Luclin models for Iksar should be punishable as a hate crime.
    JupiterKnight and Sheex like this.
  9. Ozni Elder

I really wish they'd make whatever updates necessary to make the other races' old models stand "through" the mounts the way that humans do. I don't care if it looks weird/bad, Luclin models are worse.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  10. Action-MNK Journeyman

old models = superior character models and animations, and the game doesn't crash
    Zoggzog likes this.
  11. Kellaer Augur

Shorties and fatties are objectively superior with classic models. All the other models are okay with either set.
    JupiterKnight likes this.
  12. Silentchaos Augur

Luclin models are mostly hideous.
  13. TheQxx Augur

All old graphics, except Vah Shir. Vah Shir's actually have 'old' models available but do not have armor graphics so they always appear 'naked'. So I keep those on - that's it.
    Riou likes this.
  14. TheQxx Augur

Honestly, old Iksars are amazing. Their animations are crazy cool. You lose all of that with the Luclin models. You would have thought that they would have incorporated the unique animations for all races when making the new Luclin models (Ogre/troll scratching, Dwarf jump-roll, Iksar swimming, idle 'stretching' thing, etc...). The original Iksars just have a lot of character (no pun intended). The new ones are just boring and generic. This pretty much goes for all new Luclin models.

Also, the main issue with Luclin models is their animations as a whole are terrible. Their center of gravity and weight is all off, from an animator's standpoint it is abysmal. Their weight is all on their feet; it is like their feet are stuck to the ground. They have no full-body contribution, so to say, when doing things like attacking or getting hit. Meaning, when they swing their arms, they JUST swing their arms - they don't reposition their feet, and throw their back into it. Basically, everything they do is the visual equivalent of throwing like a girl. They look odd (bad) because it is entirely unnatural. I'm not sure who defined these animations but it was not a senior animator.

All that being said, people have been asking for new models for a long, long time. I think we can all understand why we aren't going to get new models. What I don't understand is why they can't fix the animations on these existing models. That is a happy half-way point. The models would still look meh, but if they at least moved more lifelike then that would be an improvement.
    Dre. and moogs like this.
  15. moogs Augur

The iksar "heart attack" feign death animation was great. I like the Luclin female high elf enchanter casting haste. It's just funny.
  16. Koryu Professional Roadkill

One of the biggest selling points for playing a Frog is their animations. They are lively, and perhaps exaggerated, but it gives them a fun character. I guess they don't count as a Luclin model since they came later. Yeah, we're probably never getting updated character models, but I agree that an update to the animations for all the other races would go a long way.
    TheQxx likes this.
  17. Riou EQResource

Yea it is pretty nice that for Monks for examples like every old model has like all of their attack animations! and like 3 luclin models have them :(
  18. Zoggzog Elder

I miss my big, round, ogre belly and itchybutt. :( And my rhino horn helmet. I really loved that helmet. Now it looks like some kind of stupid Aztec thing. I can turn off Luclin graphics for myself, but other people will still see me in that dorky Aztec helmet. And they'll see me have an epileptic fit instead of my Soopur Sexay Ogur Dance(tm). *sigh*
  19. Ozni Elder

How cool would it be if they released some Hero's Forge stuff for classic models - Charm slot ornament that forces your char to show as classic even to those with luclin models enabled, visible armor ornaments that show velious textures regardless of INI settings, ornaments that give you shopkeeper/guard faces for a given race... plenty of stuff they could sell.
    JupiterKnight likes this.
  20. Melodya Journeyman

Old IksarKicks had great animation as well.
    [IMG]