Old Forums Permanent Archive

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beimeith, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

There are still a few kinks to work out, but for the most part the data is saved and available. You can access it here:

http://www.elitegamerslounge.com/home/soearchive

Note:
    1. The search function does not yet work, I need to rebuild the search index which will take a few days. Once it is finished you will be able to search the forums like you never could before, lol.
    2. The html codes in posts being displayed is normal. There isn't any easy way I can get them to work like the actual old forums, sorry.
    3. A few usernames are corrupted and need a manual fix. I'm working on these. (They show up as Anonymous instead of the real username).
    4. A few forums may show a thread/postcount that is slightly off from the actual forums. As far as I can tell, this is caused by threads being merged, moved, and/or deleted from the old forums, but the old forums counts not being correctly updated.
    5. The forums will be read-only. There will be no new posts. This is to preserve it as an archive, and to prevent people trying to rewrite history.
    6. If you don't like the forum style, I plan to add more later. I hate the default and like this one so I used it while I'm working on it.
    I post this in its unfinished state so that people can look through it and bring any problems to my attention to fix as I probably cannot find them all.
    Naugrin, crystilla, Cakvala and 4 others like this.
  2. RaceCondition Augur

Really awesome. Thanks for sharing! :)

*Clicks Like*
  3. Elenwyyi Augur

4. Geroblue Augur

How do we register ?
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

What do you need to register for?
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

A few other notes:

Signatures and forum titles are not saved. I will try to preserve them if it is possible, and if Piestro can keep the old forums up long enough for me to do so, but it may not be possible.
  7. Angahran Augur

Thanks for doing this :)

Now, if there were only some way to easily archive off the PMs (Currently going through 4 pages of sent/received PMs and manually copy/pasting them into MSWord).
  8. Cakvala Augur

Can a CRM sticky this? :)
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I can not thank you enough. This is something SOE should do but since they are not, I can only hope your site remains up as long as EQ exists.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Welcome. I will keep EGL up for as long as I am able, but it is paid for entirely by donations as I am a broke student, heh.

Also, I have fixed the EQ smilies so they should now appear properly.

I may also have a solution to the html issue, but I need to research it further. PHPBB3, the free forum software I am using, does not allow html usage in posts as it is a huge, major, security risk to allow people to post html, but there is a hack to allow html in posts that I am looking into. Since this will be a read-only archive, (no new posts), the security risk should essentially be zero since no one will actually be able to -post- html, it will only allow the existing html in the old posts which hopefully SoE has removed anything malicious. I'm still looking into it.

Lastly, if anyone is interested in helping with it, I could use 1 or two people to help fix some of the errors I mentioned. Experience with forums or anything is not required, just time.
  11. CrazyLarth Augur

12. Zorasis Lorekeeper

Nice - Thank you for doing this.