Ogre Stun Immunity

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gnomie, May 14, 2022.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I'd like to know when they removed some of the resist bonuses you received way back when. Like, in the original game, my original karana human paladin had +8 disease resist (started with 23 and it was green), then at like level 35 or whatever, received +1 per level up to some point. I know it was there. I know it doesn't exist now though.
  2. Midnitewolf Augur

Here is the thing, I have never understood why nerfs are called for in a PvE game. If Orge frontal stun immunity is so important, play a Ogre. Pretty simple. Why ruin it for someone else? For some reason this is a common theme though. People who don't want to play a given race or class, get jealous at what that race or class can do and start claiming it is unfair. Why? If you like what that race or class offers, play it. If you would rather play something else, play something else. It is a choice you can make, simple.

Also if we remove Ogre frontal stun immunity where do we stop. Do we remove Iksar regen because it makes Iksar more effective Monks and Necromancers? How about Troll regen? Some could argue that Troll regen is more of a benefit than Ogre frontal stun, especially if you want to solo because it reduces downtime dramatically. Other racials provide tons of situational utility as well, get rid of them too? I mean what do we end up with, all races/classes having the exact same cookie-cutter stats in order to prevent one race/class become jealous of another? That seems a pretty damn boring game to me.
  3. Branntick Augur

It's okay to not understand things.
  4. Midnitewolf Augur

Not sure I agree. Maybe if I could understand it, I wouldn't think that calls for nerfs weren't oftentimes just petty jealousy. I mean for the new Yelnick TLP, I am kind of torn on playing a Necro because none of the races it is available to has Iksar Regen. However, if I was to complain that DE's, my prefered Necro race, didn't have regen and how unfair it was that Iksar has it but my favorite race doesn't to the point they remove regen from the Iksar race, well I am being pretty petty.

I mean nothing changed for my Dark Elf so I am stuck with the no regen life either way. However, my petty complaints have ruined the fun for all the people looking forward to playing Iksar Necros for the regen AND I have probably ruined the fun for many people looking forward to playing Iksar Monks and Shamans for the regen as well. How many people get their fun ruined because I am Jealous that my Dark Elf necro isn't the optimal racial pick, especially when I can just pick an Iksar and get the advantages I want?

See that is why I don't understand it. How is calling for a nerf for something like the frontal stun immunity anything but acting selfishly wishing for other people fun to be ruined? It is not a PvP game and even a DE warrior can tank pretty much anything in the game with proper skill and gear. Frontal stun immunity is not gamebraking in the least so what is so wrong with an Ogre having it? Same for all racial traits. Not having regen doesn't stop a non-Iksar Necro or non-Iksar or Troll Shaman from being successful so what is the point calling for a nerf?
  5. Branntick Augur

One person's "the flavor races have is so cool and unique" is another person's "I really don't want to have to roll what is very obviously the best race if I want to min/max". Same thing with classes. Do you think it's cool that Necros can outparse any other class in the game while borderline AFK on live?

EQ is an easy game and racials don't really matter at all, but it's pretty wild how much QOL it is to be able to face tank huge pulls and never get stunned, or how Iksar regen is a huge lich buff.

It's not really that difficult to understand. It's the same reason playing a Rogue or Wizard on TLP feels like doodoo, just to a lesser extent.
  6. Chikkin Augur

I only read your post, not the discussion afterwards (at least not yet) but my only big thing these days is "devs should never take away, only add to"

That, being a broad general absolute, begs for someone to post an example where that may not always be true, but more specifically to your post, I would suggest that if this is indeed a problem that needs to be looked at, that all Warriors received frontal stun immunity.

But as soon as I finished typing that, even if it was a decent solution, is what about the other classes that Ogres play as and benefit from the frontal stun immunity.

For me, I cannot stand being an ogre, so I still pick other races for warriors and such, but ya.
  7. Triconix Augur

I don't care if ogres had an AE DT fart ability. I'm not playing that dumb, fat, and ugly race.
    code-zero and Chikkin like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Aww, you say the sweetest things.
    Triconix likes this.
  9. Triconix Augur

<3
  10. Ponter Elder

Serves me right for skipping to the end of the conversation. Can't be bothered to read the pretext I need to discuss things NOW, without regard to nuance!
    Skuz and Aenoan like this.
  11. Aenoan Augur

I ain't here to read novels!
    Chikkin likes this.
  12. Midnitewolf Augur

I get what your saying but what is the point of having racials be meaningless? You just end up with a bland game. Same with classes, you balance them all against each other, you end up with class that pretty much just mimic each other.

One of the most impressive things about EQ in my mind is how they at least originally didn't care about that BS of balancing everything against each other. Race and Class choice mattered. I absolute think it is amazingly cool that Necros can outparse any other class in the game because that is what they do. The have high damage, high duration DoTs that take time to work. They take a massive penalty in how long it takes them to kill things that and are hugely mana inefficient in short duration fights in order to have that. They lose their desirability to be wanted in leveling groups in order to have that. That is genius design.

I mean I guess we could give Wizards a ton of Fire and Ice based DoTs so they can parse equally to Necros in long fights and a pet as well. Then of course we give the Necros a ton of Poison and Disease based Nukes so that the Necros can burn down Mobs as fast as a Wizard. But now we have the only difference between Necro and Wizard being what type of damage they do while pretty much being mechanically the same. Yeah that is really exciting. Everything is balance and no one can whine about how Race or Class X can do something Race or Class Y can't do but who wants to play a game where every race/class is a carbon copy of each other. This attempt to please people who can't deal with everything not being equal to everything else is pretty much what has killed off the MMO industry. It is just damn boring when a game is like that.
    Ponter likes this.
  13. Ponter Elder

Perfect example of this is WoW. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but initially the game at least had some meaning behind picking certain races and classes, and now it's practically to the point where every race can be every class, and with specialties everyone can heal or tank or dps on a whim and there is literally no flavor anymore. Group dynamics don't matter, there's easy modes for all the content, and it's stale and boring and lame.
  14. uberkingkong Augur

Why nerf?

Iksars are pretty spot, AC bonus, regen, infravision.
    I don't understand why they have swimming 100.

Theres no water near Calibis, they didn't come from water like Froglok.

I was looking to see if Froglok can breathe underwater, but no.
    Was thinking all these armors giving free bonuses, that needs to be nerfed.

Faerune? Why should everyone get this, tedious to do item control?
    It takes away some of the aspects of the game which is not suppose to be underwater for long time, sense of fear factor, my buff is running low, I'm screwed if I don't get out of here.

EQ saps away all this fear factor its kinda joke right now.
    Frontal Stuns?
    who cares if your not a tank, you shouldn't be getting hit if your not a tank.
    Tanks rarely get stunned too, its not a big deal, maybe in TLP though. But in TLP not everyone has Faerune, so those races with Infravision and so on, arent totally bad.

Your list is off, Ogre's with infravision? Really? Must be a new kind of EQ.
    I don't see infravision listed here https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Races

Late game, the only pretty racial ability would be Slam. But its with races where they pretty much already do it or no point in it, like a Shaman using Slam. If it was a rogue slam, thats really good. But again, you shouldn't be getting hit if your not the tank, and tanks have good stun immunity.

If we talking end game, post level 80. Frontal stun wont mean much if your not a tank, you can basically be 1 or 2 rounded by mobs if you become a target.
  15. Herf Augur

As an older player I'll need a translation to English of that sentence :)
  16. Herf Augur

If Ogres had an AOE Fart ability, even if it was just a stun, I would totally play one :D !
  17. Herf Augur

There is water IN Cabilis, lots of it. Also in all of the adjoining zones except Field of Bone (which is the beach.)

Iksar got the extra swimming because originally we would slither around the water routes in town; Iksar had a unique model and swam differently, like iguanas and alligators do. It was in fact not only possible but necessary to be able to swim around and then leap up out of the water. But they broke that when they switched to using the Vah Shir skeleton model for Iksar also :(
    code-zero and Ponter like this.
  18. Triconix Augur

Well, let me tell you about Drakkins and their bad breath.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  19. Ponter Elder

Especially in the days of yore when internet speeds were crap and you'd suddenly find yourself face down in the water trying to cross one of those little planks crossing the canal. As an aside, I was incredibly disappointed there wasn't more underwater content for Argonians to explore in Skyrim. That racial was wasted :( At least in EQ it... kinda did stuff.
    Herf likes this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I know for a fact Ogres see a lot better in the dark than Human/Barbarian/Erudite so I'm certain they have Infravision.

Another 3rd party source:
    https://everquest.fandom.com/wiki/Races

Think its ultravision > infravision > normal vision

Ultravison (inspired by ultraviolet?) kinda blue-tinged, infravision (inspired by Infra-Red?) is red-tinged