Official word on no box server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sithil, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Sithil Elder

I've searched through the forums and even read the Holly interview thread but can't find an official announcement of a new No-boxing server? Can anyone confirm dates, name, etc or direct me to the proper thread?
  2. Lifetap Augur

none of that has been announced.
  3. Bandok Augur

liveitup1216 likes this.
  4. Steampunk Augur

There has been no such announcement, merely a whole bunch of people speculating, postulating and agonizing over something that is, at this time, simply being considered. Even the announcement linked in the post above does not say that they are going to make a no-box server. It says they are planning a special rules server, and then says they think a no-bot/no-box server might be a lot of fun. (Kinda silly, since all servers are supposed to be no-bot servers.) A lot of people, myself included, are hoping that this actually does materialize into a server with no, or at least restricted, boxing.
  5. Tris Augur

One thing that i think would be healthy to the debate. would be if the board would put an identification up on the posters, if they are actively playing for the game and paying. Botting seems mostly to be a problem in lowbie areas.

Runnyeye f.eks is perma camped. by botters. It is so blindingly obvious when you go to Commonland tunnel and see how much blackalloycrap is on auction. If you follow the auctions its so easy to see that the same amount of extreme botting isnt going on in other zones.

It would be so much easyer for Daybreak to assign a couple of man hours every week to ban those botters. Try consider the workload for having to make an entire new server, because they cant be bothered to jump into the game and do a few relevant bans.
  6. Tulgin Augur

Botting is fine as long as you are at the keyboard
  7. Numiko Augur

When you think about it, it's now September and they have not even officially announced the next EQ expansion.... errr... campaign ... that is supposed to be out this Fall.
  8. SyDiko Augur

I wish they'd confirm that this 'special rule' server will have a no botting or boxing policy. That way, I could slow my pace down on RageFire in preparation for a restart on this new server. *Hint Hint*
  9. liveitup1216 Augur

"We have been listening to a lot of feedback and discussing some options so we are starting a plan for a special rules server for winter for those people looking for a different experience. We are working on the details, but it seems like a No Bot/No Box Progression server could be a lot of fun (and we might explore some other additions as well). It requires some coding to enforce a single client per computer, so winter seems likely for that release, after the upcoming Campaign." -Windstalker

(Edit: Just linking so other people can see the actual blerb from Holly.)
  10. SyDiko Augur

I'm willing to bet if the EQ staff at Daybreak understands that this is what the majority wants, there will be more of a chance that we will get this type of server implemented. Not only that, but an official announcement that it will be in the works.

We just have to get more folks involved, and our voices heard! :)
  11. Steampunk Augur

You need to get back on your meds. Botting is automation. Automation is not allowed. Even if you are sitting at the keyboard watching it. Which would be a pretty stupid thing to do.
  12. Tulgin Augur

Yeah? No offense but I'll trust the people who work at EQ rather than some random forum post telling me what's not allowed.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ftware-and-boxing.221973/page-37#post-3245775

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-3rd-party-software-and-boxing.221973/page-54

Now let me clarify the important words here in case you missed it.

while unattended

while not at your machine

Is any of this confusing you? Do I need to elaborate some more?

DBG Staff know full well who uses [unmentioned 3rd party softwarelol], (83.6% of all registered accounts), why do you think they aren't banned? Because they are at the keyboard (and the game would be dead the next day).
  13. Falconii New Member

Good luck with that.
  14. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Automation is ok, as long as "something" attends to it every other minute? second ? hour ? day ?
    When does automation become automation is my question?
    How close to my machine do I need to be? How about if EQ is running on a machine the size of a USB stick while on my person and I check how the bots are running every 15 minutes? Is that automation?
  15. Zodiacrat0222 New Member

It's funny that you would say this (even though EQ practically endorses it) because this statement is basically an oxymoron.

Botting is automation without attendance.
    No one writes a set of scripts to target enemies, attack enemies, collect loot, etc.. so they can sit in front of the computer and watch it all happen.
    The entire purpose of botting is to do these tasks without ever needing to be there. :)

I'm all for a no-box or limited-box server because I'm almost totally done with trying to enjoy EQ in it's current state. It makes the game only fun for a select type of power-gamer or RMT collector and I just can't really justify paying actual money to play the game the way it is; just not worth it to me.
    I'm giving them another shot with this proposed winter server and if they get it right, I'll be paying them for a long time, but if it just ends up like any of the other servers, I'll be putting my money into another company.
    Time will tell. :)
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The official word on the no box server is:
    tittynope

n. – a small quantity of something left over

Don't try to make sense of this. :)
  17. Tulgin Augur

With what? I don't support botting, Everquest does. Obviously not everyone agree's with the use of bots, that's why they are making a new server with no botting allowed.

Basically if you can't respond to a /tell in a reasonable time, they may suspend you. What's reasonable? 1 minute perhaps?
  18. Numiko Augur

and awake...

[IMG]
  19. SyDiko Augur

I don't believe they would need to do such a thing, and it wouldn't be practical unless there was an automated system of sorts - which is also not practical.

What is practical is setting up server logs to investigate reported events of boxing or botting.
  20. Tulgin Augur

From my understanding, the only time a botter has ever been suspended is through not replying to a /tell. In all cases I've heard of, a GM actually teleports to the offender and watches them in real time, I've not heard of any suspensions happening through server logs after the fact. Correct me if I'm wrong.