Official EverQuest Wiki!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dexella, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Dexella Associate Producer

[IMG]

Announcing our official wiki for EverQuest – EverQuest.wikia.com!

Sony Online Entertainment began partnering with existing Wikia communities in October of 2012 when we launched our PlanetSide 2 wiki and joined forces with EQ2i, making it the official EverQuest II wiki. Since then, we've expanded our official wikis to include Wizardry Online, PoxNora, Vanguard, Free Realms, and now EverQuest!

The best part of our official wiki is that it's open to YOU! Wikis are a great place for both new and veteran players to learn and share about games. From descriptions of places, characters and mini-games, to quest guides and general tips and tricks, the EverQuest Wiki allows members of the community to pool their information and create a living guide to the game that encompasses the experiences and knowledge of the entire player base, both hardcore and casual.

[IMG]
  2. Fizbit New Member

Will I at last be able to find Burned Woods? :)
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  3. Toquillaw Augur

It is inside Greater Fay this week. It is a "Hot zone".

Oh wait, I must be thinking of the Burned Woodelves zone.
    Geroblue likes this.
  4. Caudyr Augur

No wait, today's Friday. It moves at midnight PST to being off of Velketor's Labyrinth behind where Velk spawns! :D
  5. Elricvonclief Augur

I can't remember where it is, someone /tell Quon and ask where it is.
  6. Zargut the Meaty New Member

Wow only about 13 years too late!
  7. Wizadress Senlainae Elder

How good will this be? No offense, but we already have EQTraders, Zam and Magelo. What will this Wiki offer that is different from others out there?
  8. CrazyLarth Augur

well sony at one time had a section to create player (usefull info) for others but they removed that section when they modified the boards to the old format that is now the archived version.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eqold/forums/list.m
    may this new option will allow a section like that.

I think I created or added to one of the I think it was called (player guilds -does not sound right) that had info about using the bags of various coins on the Alerynril the Loyal to help a new toon.

I could see player info on Fables for AC augs, specilfc lower class twinks, ect.
  9. Drewie Augur

It would be nice to have a forum dedicated to that wiki as well. Of course there are discussion pages for each article on the wiki, but so far hundreds of articles have been added (lots of them being only a copy-paste from some other website) and the general structure is becoming a mess.

As an example, see the "Wanderlust Guild Loadstone - Augmentation" article :

- Name should be "Wanderlust Guild Loadstone" because that's the name of the item the article is dedicaded to, and someone who's looking for info about that specific item would search "Wanderlust Guild Loadstone", not "Wanderlust Guild Loadstone - Augmentation" or "TSS charm" or whatever else. This is the Principle of Least Astonishment used on Wikipedia and other wikis.

- Current categories are wrong : "Quests", "Items:Augments" and "Achievements". First, plural should not be used unless it's the only possible choice. So, that would be "Quest", "Item:Augment" and "Achievement". Second, it's neither a Quest nor an Achievement per se, it's an item. Therefore, either create a dedicated article for quest and achievement, or include them in the Item article and use sub-categories other than "Quest" or "Achievement", they are too generic. For example, "The Serpent's Spine Quest" and "Hero's Journey Conquest Achievement", each of them being a sub-category of "Quest by expansion" and "Hero's Journey Achievement", and so on ... Finally, the item category should be "Augmentation" as a sub-category of "Item", instead of "Item:Augment" that acts like a double-category.

- Mediawiki Models should be created and used for Quests, NPCs, Zones, each type of item, etc.

- Each article should start with a brief description of what the article is about. In the WGL case, it's only a checklist with a screenshot at the end. Screenshot would fit better at the beginning of the article so that the reader can instantly see that it's about an item, along with a text explaining what kind of item this is, how it is obtained, when it was introduced, how difficult it is to get, etc.

It's nice to have tons of content added but at some point you need to make sure this is well organized, and the sooner the better. After all this is the whole point of a wiki, classify information so that it can be easily retrieved, updated and so on, which means there are a few rules to establish and follow, otherwise this collaborative work would lead nowhere.
    Wizadress Senlainae likes this.
  10. Wizadress Senlainae Elder

Yeah that is what I was worried about. People just copy and pasting from other sites, no credit given (not sure if you said there was) to those who originally collected the info ... bleech.

No thanks.
  11. Dramatime Augur

I'd love to see information provided in a nice searchable way. Drewie brought up some excellent points. The site will do no good if the info is not provided in a sensible way.

I like zam but it sucks unless you know the name of the item you want to look up or pay their "fee". I'd hate to bring up WoW but they have a few excellent sites that are dedicated to excellent collection of information of quests and items and its FREE. WOWHEAD and THOTTBOTT to name a couple.

From reading a lot of the posts in these forums though EQ has the benefit of some really clever and smart people (for the most part) and I'm sure if those people contribute it will make the Wiki shine.