Offhand recommendation for rogues

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Sissruukk, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Sissruukk Rogue One

For offhand weapon:
    Lower delay than main, or
    Higher delay than main, higher proc damage than main

Also, is it necessary to have only 1hp for offhand, or can 1hs still have good overall dps?
  2. Chaosflux Augur

Best ratio you can get I would think?
  3. Sissruukk Rogue One

How do you determine ratio?
  4. mackal Augur

Assassin's Mastery of Piercing is the AA that makes 1hp better for rogues. There is also Assassin's Mastery of Crushing and Assassin's Mastery of Slashing now, both same levels (maybe not expansion, I would have to check again :p) and same exact bonus. So depending on your ranks for those 3 AAs I guess.

Ratio is damage / delay.
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

That is what I was thinking in regards to that...
  6. Chaosflux Augur

I thought wrong!
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

Ok, let me actually ask what I am wanting to ask...

Current MH: 185/21 (1hp, with aug)
    Current OH: 154/20 (1hp, with aug, 1050 proc)

Looking to replace OH possibly with: 191/22 (1hs, with aug, 2240 proc)

Would this be advisable? I know that this may seem like a silly question, but I am only asking because I am not sure how MH vs OH weapon speeds work and fire off and such. Plus, I am wanting to make sure I am not losing anything if I go 1hs offhand. The only thing I think that might be affected would be my use of Wide-Eyed Mark Rk II, which only applies to piercing weapons (so instead of vulnerability to MH/OH double piercing, it would only be vulnerable to MH only).
  8. Brohg Augur

Wide-Eyed Mark amplifies Backstab damage only, not piercing; you're thinking Pinpoint Deficiencies. Assuming the cooperation of another rogue, Pinpoint is on big mobs full time, adding 2% piercing damage, so a non-piercer would have to be 2% better than a comparable piercer to make up for that.

In non-raid content, Pinpoint's just on one mob in six or so. Fewer, even, if your group is good. So not much of a consideration at all.

The real deal, though, is what's not being said: you value the lifesapping on Dral, or you'd just be snapping up a Hornscale instead of having this conversation. (Also you'd maybe be using a +11 instead of +10+proc? separate conversation) Unless you can numericize that value, no one outside your head can tell you if the slasher's an acceptable tradeoff.
  9. Sissruukk Rogue One

On Vox, we are no where near getting Dral or Hornscale (meaning, no one on the server is). This is more a matter of coming across a chase loot drop. As for the +10 vs +11, been working on that off and on, but mainly working with another rogue to get his first.
  10. Brohg Augur

That's wild. Y'all should mass petition for a merger into the next most ghetto server. Erollisi Marr has collectively beaten Kar`Zok just twice, so maybe we're a good target.

edit: Oop, nope, according to http://www.elitegamerslounge.com/home/progress/ , it's Bertoxxulous
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

I don't know, I think most of the people on Vox are pretty happy with the way things are. It is a pretty laid back environment, even within our own guild, which is considered the "powerhouse" on the server. It is low pop, but most people are friendly and helpful, and with a few exceptions, there really isn't this overarching obsession with being the "best". Just people having fun.

We have some people from Zek coming over, though, from a major raid guild there to join with our guild, so we will see how that shapes things up.
  12. Brohg Augur

Yeah, I get the sentiment, but it's a false dichotomy. The idea that players in higher achieving guilds / on higher achieving servers aren't laid back, or aren't friendly and helpful, or are obsessed, or aren't having fun -- is pretty much a fabrication.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

I never said differently. I am just saying that people on Vox seem to be pretty happy with the status quo of how things are on Vox.

I have been in end game guilds, I have been in role play guilds, and I have been in "whatever, dude..." guilds. I have been on PvP servers, and I have been on bluebie servers. I have met great people everywhere I go. Everyone has fun in their own way.
  14. Neodraykl Elder

Unless they changed something, Mark affects piercing (28%) only, Pinpoint is backstab (11%) and piercing(2%.)

The piercing mods are not additive afaik.
  15. Brohg Augur

No changes to either one since they were made:

Marked Effect III
    12: Increase Backstab Damage Taken by 28% (SPA 197 base2=8)

Pinpoint Deficiencies Rk. III
    1: Decrease Chance to Avoid Melee by 7% (SPA 172)
    4: Increase Backstab Damage Taken by 11% (SPA 197 base2=8)
    7: Increase 1H Pierce Damage Taken by 2% (SPA 197 base2=36)
  16. svann Augur

What about bonus damage and possibly magic damage on some weapons?
  17. segap Augur

If you're using group weapons and have opportunity to loot a raid 1hs or 1hb, that would be an upgrade worth taking. Otherwise, stick with piercing. Even with the addition of the slashing and crushing mastery AA upgrades, the debuffs still give piercing an advantage. If you're on TLP and don't have the stuff that gives piercing an advantage, go with best weapon you can get in offhand.
  18. mackal Augur

+elemental damage is RNG so ... it makes the ratio variable? +elemental dmg also increases BS dmg (with RNG of course)
  19. svann Augur

My question was about the formula. How does bonus damage affect ratio = dmg/dly? Would it be (dmg+bonus)/dly? Or (dmg+bonus+avgelementaldmg)/dly? Or is bonus and elemental damage just ignored because it doesnt fit into the equation very well?
  20. Brohg Augur

There may be some confusion because the "damage bonus" in weapons' item windows is not actually a weapon stat? It's only listed where it is because there's no better spot for it (debatable, but that's the reason). Damage bonus is a melee mechanic, a formula-derived, mostly unsuccessful effort to smooth out how bad slow weapons are. The bonus is based on your class, level, and the delay of the weapon; any weapon your character picks up that has matching delay will have matching "damage bonus". It's a flat addition to each melee hit.

For "damage bonus" to effect decisions regarding weapon choice, it has to be on the scale of rangers' Empowered Blades AA, +6000. You, like we do, should completely dismiss it as a consideration, not because it's difficult to manage, because we're not lazy or incompetent, but because it actually isn't a consideration.