Odd Ld problem since patch

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Derd, May 22, 2021.

1. Derd Augur

Since the last patch my characters randomly LD. While i cant do any actions in game , i can still type and talk in channels and group. Everyone still appears on my screen in raid or group, and i can move around, i can sit , i can hit the camp button but nothing happens. I just have to reboot as i cant diminish the screen to see the task manager behind EQ. I can not hit the - button to diminish the eq screen or use the x. Mouse moves there but can not actually click it.

I'm calling it and LD but my character still seems to be in game, and after a reboot and logging back in i have to remove character in game at the log in screen.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? We're at a loss trying to troubleshoot this, its happened in raids and in group and molo.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have seen this happen a few times.
    Once was when my router was breaking down and I had to get a replacement
    Once was when my ISP was carrying out repairs on the junction box in the street.
    The other times it was due to the server - and pretty much everyone on the server was lagging like this before they got disconnected.

In your case I would think it is either the first or second - router issue or ISP issue.

Some more info may help

Server you play on
    ISP you use
    Router model

You can also try these generic tips to see if they help:

Add launchpad.exe & eqgame.exe to the exceptions or white-list for your anti-virus & firewall - especially if you are using Windows Defender as this is known to often block connections to EQ.

Run a file check from the EQ Launcher
    (HOW? - https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...73-How-do-I-validate-game-files-in-EverQuest-)

Right Mouse button Click the EQ Icon, select Properties then compatibility then put a check in the box for "disable full screen optimizations" hit apply then run as administrator the first time you log in

Download & install a fresh copy of Direct X 9c
    (LINK - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_directx.html)

Download & install the latest C++ runtimes
    (LINK - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads)

Check what Graphics hardware you are using & uninstall the old drivers & re-install the latest WHQL drivers for it or a new copy of the current drivers if you already have the latest ones.
    Sarkaukar likes this.
  3. Derd Augur

Its an old router dlink 645, computer friend says its 11 years old model, we purchased aprox 7 years ago. Surfboard modem.

Initial test today running direct from modem after power cycling both computer and modem. 3 accounts logged in all mellee attacking guild hall dummy, youtube movies running on second screen to add stress. At 2 hours 45 minutes with no ld. Hoping that rules everthing but the router as being a contributer to the problem. So a buying we shall go. Thanks skuz for your reply very appreciated.
    Sarkaukar likes this.
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

I was posting then had to run to the store without hitting save/post :) I saw the other replies after mine saved

Your LD is a connectivity issue. Your ability to move your toon while LD is normal, as it is only happening on your computer, and during that LD that information, either most or all of it, is not reaching the game server. And the chat servers are separate from the game servers, as well as utilize different ports.

On characters, is it all the toons at the same time, or one toon out of the bunch and which server?
    • If you havent yet, flush dns.
    • Reboot router and modem or gateway (combo router/modem) by unplugging for 1 minute then plug back in.
    • Set Antivirus program to exclude EQ directories from active scanning.
    • What is Brand/model of router or gateway, and which components are leased/rented from your ISP?
    • Access Router/Gateway interface and look for anything security related (non-NAT related) and disable it. Mfg will call it by different names but it started off being called SPI (stateful packet inspection) and what it does is temporarily close ports down when it believes it is under an attack. EQ uses primarily UDP packets to transport information and if there is a problematic router mgt system that your pathing passes through, which holds up/losing down those packets then releases them, that SPI may see it as an attack and close down that EQ port for approximately 30secs or so.
    • Another way to troubleshoot it is to use a VPN, but one that does redirect your traffic so that it appears is coming from a different country of residence.
  5. Sarkaukar Augur

With that router, access it and look for Enable SPI. If it is checked uncheck it then test. You did right with bypassing the router to troubleshoot it. If you do purchase a new router, SPI is usually enabled by default and if there is still a problematic router mgt system which your connection passes through, it could still trigger the SPI/router firewall.

Enable SPI: Check the Enable SPI box to enable the SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection, also known as dynamic packet filtering) feature. Enabling SPI helps to prevent cyber attacks by tracking more state per session. It validates that the traffic passing
  6. Derd Augur

Thanks for all the responses, direct line enabled all my accounts to stay logged in and active for 6 hours. Replacement router installed , will update if problem rears its ugly head again. Thanks again everyone.
    Skuz likes this.