Obsrvations re: NOOB zones

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Shanarias, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Shanarias Augur

I have made two different toons on two different servers in the last week, since the patch, and I have a couple of observations.

1) In the Tutorial, there is a dearth of bats to kill in that first quest where you kill rats, vermin nests, and flying bats. If there is any competition, it might take an hour to find four bats.
    2) The barrels contain way less loot than they used to.
    3) There is a similar lack of good loot in Crescent Reach.

Were it not for the current Exp Bonus, I would have been likely to delete those two characters. Somewhere, you have to find the line from challenging to rewarding. The Exp Bonus was the only real reward, besides the usual gear to be obtained from Vahlara in the Tutorial.
    Anyone else have observations on this?
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

Rats and bats are on the same spawn table; if there isn't enough of one, kill the other.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

QFT, Shanarias

This applies in a lot of zones in EQ. If you can't find the mobs you need, just start killing everything ;)
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Good loot is all over in Cresent Reach. You might have to look it up. I like to google the zone name then from the results I choose the one for Alla or Paul lynch or Bonzz to see what is good in that zone. Allah will have all the quests listed per zone. And the Hero's journey might be a help to new players.
  5. Shanarias Augur

I am just saying that it has changed since the last update. Merely an observation, and not one of great importance.
  6. Phiyre Augur

I always did everything I could to immediately escape the tutorial/starting area. I think I did take one toon through CR but skipped the majority of the quests. Had a ton of stuff for my mage to pull and AE which made it tolerable.
    Starting gear has never mattered to me as each toon starts pretty twinked ;)
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The only reason to really bother with the Tutorial is to A) learn/relearn the basics of EQ and B) to get some gear, specifically the charm which doesn't really have a better alternative for several levels.
  8. Captain Video Augur

Complete the rebellion quest line in the tutorial and you'll get seven visible armor pieces which are identical stats to Crude Defiant, plus the equivalent of a Crude Defiant weapon for your class. All BiS for level 10 toons.

Complete the first leg of the Hero's Journey quest line, the stuff in Crescent Reach, and you'll get several additional slots filled with level-appropriate stats. CR is a starter zone and isn't going to drop items equivalent to evolving TBL stuff.

Barrels in the tutorial don't use the global loot table, they never did. The things they do randomly drop, which are worth caring about, are Forlorn Bows which sell to the vendor for 1.5pp each, and backpacks. Also free food, and lots of arrows for ranged classes to use for skill-ups. The most valuable loot in the tutorial are the staffs dropped by Spiritweavers and Plaguebearers, which sell to the vendor for 4pp each, and you can often pick up a dozen of those at a time in a single run. If you're leaving the tutorial with less than 500pp in the bank, you're doing something wrong.

The tutorial also provides the mats to craft 6-slot backpacks, throwing knives and stat food, if you find farming barrels to be too onerous.
  9. Fluid Augur

I need to run the tutorial again to see if memory serves me right. :)

I always do the tutorial on a new character because you get the run speed/Sow totem just for wandering around talking to NPCs. I never miss the charm slot quest mentioned above either.

As soon as I hit level 5(I think you can do them at level 1!), I exit to CR to run http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5592 This pretty much sets you up with equipment IN slots that you can use to level 50ish. I also run http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3679 which is a big help killing anything poisonous like spiders and snakes.

To get back to the tutorial, I just logout/login and choose 'Enter Tutorial'. While you are in CR it is a good time to twink your pet if you are of level and a pet class. I almost always pick a Magician as my first character on a new shard for the summoned toys. The second through 8th characters may get summoned armor and weapons for their pets, the Rangers get Quivers of Marr, that kind of stuff.