Not the community i remember.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lonis, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Galleyan Augur

I didn't even realize this was a problem until last night. I was quietly sitting in my camp with a couple chars for about an hour... when someone comes along... "Hi bot."

"Not a bot, try again."

Proceeds to go off on me for like 30 minutes about why I am the reason the server is failing. Also calls in all his buddies to come KS me, telling them I'm a bot and not to worry. When they get there, I interact with them and they all go, "lul he said you were a bot. I'm out." I then offer to let him have all the mobs in the camp except the one I want, "Unacceptable, camps are not recognized by DBG."

I was scratching my head at that one, after I had offered to give him all the non-named mobs in the camp. I responded, "Beep boop. Beep beep. Boop beep." and put him on ignore.
    Rhodz, Risiko and Reht like this.
  2. RiplyAnklebiter Lorekeeper

Dunno if I would agree on half, but definitely a portion of the population is like that atm, much more then I would of expected......but honestly that is subjective based on the camps you are at. It doesn't help that it seems to be concentrated into some of the larger guilds /cough AC, /cough. In the last week I have had.....

/whine on

1. An officer from this guild(/guildstatus) attempt to KS, then upon failing send me relentless messages threatening me for one reason or another. Once realizing it wont work, I get the " you, it's just krono number 129 for me. Enjoy your up server, I'm out when Gates releases.". Ignore doesn't work, they log to an alt.....
    2. Been invited to groups deep in areas I have not played in over 12 years, explain I don't know the way, be ensured "Don't worry, we can get you there". Just to travel all the way to the zone and get a "We found someone else, its not our job to get you here, off newb".
    3. On two different occurrences watched an FBSS and SMR drop, just to be kicked from the group so I could not roll on items.
    4. Trained repeatedly to steal camps in the hole by a certain unnamed monk, in between trains an unname necro from said guild picks over to go through an entire mana bar to dispell the enchanters pet in a further attempt to steal the camp.

/whine off

There are definitely douchbags playing and despite what others are saying there definitely are MORE of these douchbags now then in 1999. Lots of people like to characterize people that came to Agnarr as formerly casual EQ players and that is why we are on the most casual TLP, WRONG!! Many of us were very hardcore back in the day and have a real view of how things used to be, we just don't want to go at it as hardcore this time around, hense the Agnarr decision. There have always been in EQ, its just different now, the core group of players is no longer the same players from 1999.

There are several factors in why people act different now or at the very least more people act this way, the biggest is accountability. Back in the day, your name meant something, it was gonna take you a long time to level and even longer to gear up, so people liking you or at least being able to stand you for a couple hours at a time was important. Now between the inflation of loots due to instances, quick leveling and the ease of a simple name change request, your name or reputation means nothing. I recall distinctly at least a handful of players on Tarew Marr that ended up deleting very nicely raid geared toons because they got a bad rep from ninja looting. Beyond the worth of your name, back in 1999-2005 you always had the ability to get a GM/Guide involved if things got to far out of hand. Verant/SoE did not recognize camps even back in 1999, but they did enforce play nice policies. I have watched and in a couple cases been part of entire guilds being punished (couple be ported unexpectedly in front of Cazic Thul, had random named dragon spawn onto of you, or even suspended in more severe cases).

With all of that being said, I'm loving Agnarr. Take it for what it is, stop taking things as seriously and maybe even enjoy getting back at some of the you run into. I have a feeling that as the population starts to spread out in Kunark-Luclin, its going to cool down or at the very least the population of douchbags will be more spread out and not concentrated in LGuk/Hole/OoT. There are far more decent people playing on Agnarr then there are the other side.
    Rhodz likes this.
  3. daffie999 Augur

There are in any online game... always have been and always will be. They tend to be unhappy people IRL even though they might claim they aren't.

What makes those people even more intolerable... is they are doing it in Everquest. EVERQUEST! 18 year old game! Really? It is like someone sending you a hateful message on myspace.
    andross77 likes this.
  4. Vandross Lorekeeper

That's probably the thing I dislike most about boxing, is when someone says 'bot' instead of 'box' there's a huge difference and people are making wild assumptions because they see a few extra toons on autofollow.
  5. Kattria Minx Augur

Speaking only from the perspective of someone who stuck it out on Ragefire, most of this works itself out as the server matures. I think it was end of Kunark, beginning of Velious where I felt like everything just got so much less hostile. We were still DPS racing for Kunark and Velious content, but it just wasn't nearly as antagonistic as it had been in Classic and Kunark. Trying to get VP keyed, for example, was a nightmare (damn Tempus camping all the spots :) -- I was in RoP/CE at the time). I started out in Remnants of Prexus, then merged into Ceaseless (becoming Ceaseless Evolution), which then finally merged into Tempus. During these three transitions, the server was still rather chaotic, but it was clear things were getting easier. We lost a LOT of the more antagonistic guilds, and their players. Phinny opening was both a good and a bad thing: we lost a lot of bad apples, but we lost a lot of good ones too.

Early on in Velious, most of the smaller, but serious, guilds had already merged into the bigger guilds, and then the medium guilds merged into other guilds, and the focus was more on what a large group of people could accomplish rather than one pick up group could accomplish. We had a rotation/understanding set up for some zones. When Luclin came around, the guild agreements continued and I think went very well. A LOT of the animosity felt between the raiding guilds seemed to be lessened by a great deal. And now PoP I feel is the best environment for inter-guild relations. Smaller guilds are able to play a lot of the current content at their pace.

So through all of this, I've talked about the guild environment. This is the key here: once you get in a good guild that does big content, all those little PUG encounters just fall by the wayside. We don't NEED to be in Unrest, or LGuk, or Seb, or Velks arguing about need or greed or training or AFK moochers. And even when you do go into a PUG environment, the players are not as antagonistic--those folks never really cared about the game long-term, so they are gone!

So my advice is four-fold: stick it out, don't be a jerk yourself, get in a good guild, forge good relationships with the other guilds in your tier. The rest takes care of itself over time.
    Senadin likes this.
  6. Kattria Minx Augur

Also to add: You notice I didn't mention anything about boxes?

They don't matter. People box. Get used to it. People have been boxing in EQ since it started in 1999. I know this because I grouped with people who often played 2-3 accounts at a time. Two rogues with a cleric box was how I rolled for three expansions!

Again, box groups just don't matter. The smart ones know where to go to stay out of everyone else's way. Everyone else knows where to go if they show up and a box crew is set up. Do we sometimes grumble? Probably. But to me if a group is at a camp spot--regardless if six distinct players or 1 playing six--this is not the spot for me. I just move on.

In my ENTIRE time on Ragefire, not once has anyone come up to me or my group that might have a box or two in it to complain about boxes. NEVER. Sometimes people come up and ask if we have room. If we do and we plan to stay, we make room for them. ALWAYS.
  7. Daax Elder

For a majority of people, Agnarr is simply there to farm Krono or to play casually.
    Which is partly why you will experience the things you talk about in your post.
    If all your looking to do is farm items to make KR, or screw around while you wait for GoD to launch on Phinny, who cares about some unwritten rules.

I've said it before, Agnarr is not a long term home for most people.
    Yes there will be some p99ers that will stick it out much longer than others.
    But the majority of people will farm all the KR they can in each xpac and then bail.
    Alot will go back to Phinny (the best TLP to date) for GoD.

And when Agnarr hits PoP / LDON, and the inital KR farming dyes out people will abandon Agnarr for good. By that time a new TLP will probably be announced, hopefully something more along the lines of Phinigel than Agnarr. And then the cycle will begin again.

At launch Phinigel was much different than Agnarr, personally i'd say that is because Agnarr has a expiration date, while Phinny is a long term home for many guilds / players. So while there will always be griefing etc, you didnt get away with it on Phinny like they are on Agnarr.
  8. Lokispec New Member

I just wanted to let you know I am coming back to do the TLP server was thinking about it, and started reading the forums again to get an idea of what was happening, I resigned back in to just say we need FANCY the bard on the case.

Thank you guys for the awesome memory and see you in game.
  9. Thorondor Augur

Here's your one chance Fansy Don't let me down!
  10. MBear Augur

Some people are pretty obvious about it, though too.
    If you have a bunch of pet classes following you around and all 8 of their pets go in with identical timing every mob it isn't hard to tell that something is fishy.
    You may be true boxing and not key broadcasting but there definitely are plenty that are on Agnarr.
  11. Ckador Augur

12. Lokispec New Member

LOL
  13. Gio1999 Augur

First - Phinny players are butt hurt about so many people going to Agnarr; you see a few in this thread. Second - EQ 1999 to 2002 was not some golden age of gaming in EQ. You had just as many jerks as you do now, but they were mostly forced to be passive aggressive or cause drama instead of KSing, training etc because of rule enforcement.

The feeling like you're walking on eggshells comment was right on point. A lot of people were new to the whole internet thing and couldn't handle social interaction online. It felt like you had to keep your head down to progress.
    Jaxinthebox likes this.
  14. Gremin Augur

Find like minded individuals and build your own community. Shape your world how you want it and ignore the rest the best you can.
  15. Dailor Augur

Honestly, I would rather interact with a 6 boxer vs the person that follows them around for 45 minutes whining about how he can't get xp because of them. This server is SAWFT.
  16. andross77 Elder

LOL! Most hilarious comment I've read on these forums yet and SOOOOO true! Who acts like an in an EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD GAME?!?! Seriously, WHO?!?! But yeah, ultimately we should feel bad for them because clearly their real life has been and is pretty for them to act out this way :(
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

It took you 30 minutes to put him on ignore? That's patience.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Fansy.
    Rhodz likes this.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Get a video. I'd like to see what you think is botting. Post the video here.
  20. Galleyan Augur

I was having fun listening to the ravings of an unhinged lunatic. At one point I asked him if English wasn't his first language, because he went from speaking normally to completely unintelligible garbage. Like... how does sitting at a camp with two chars make someone so angry that they cease to speak a language?