Nostalgia Server - $39.95/mo - Would you pay?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Destroying Angel, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Destroying Angel Lorekeeper

Rules
    • TLP Ruleset
    • 24/7 GM Support
    • Return of PNP
    • No overt boxing
    • No Kronos
    • Strong enforcement of no cheating
    Vaclav, Fallfyres and Solkos like this.
  2. Reht The Dude abides...

3. bobjones1208 Augur

No. I would save myself $39.95 per month and play p1999, which is essentially what you just described.
  4. Destroying Angel Lorekeeper

P99 can't advance past the Titanium client they rely on.
  5. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

Yes, but which TLP rule-set, there have been multiple ;-).
  6. bobjones1208 Augur

The only good expansion they are missing is PoP. I would rather miss PoP than pay 40 bucks a month.
  7. Freki Augur

personally no i wouldn't, but i would not go to P1999. it is not classic, nor is this. but they broke copyright. I would not support them because of this. now i understand what it is they want to do. but the risks are greater than the rewards. Spyware installed on my pc: no thank you, less secure account system: no thank you. limited to eras that are not the only good ones: no thank you.

the p99 team are to be commended for their initial work, but still the reality is that until DBG's acknowledgement of them, they WERE in fact in violation of copyright. and they knew it and decided that they were greater than the law.
  8. taliefer Augur

30 bucks a month would be my limit, and i would need to know in advance the specific details
    Elkay likes this.
  9. Vlerg Augur

40$ a month won't be enough for 24/7 staff support ( assuming the guys are paid a mere 15$ an hour) + recoding game system + hardware +....
  10. vardune Augur

Why the hell would anyone pay for a server like that when p1999 is free.
  11. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

1. Because it would be the official version, and would be able to run with a client provided by the company, and not have to rely on either purchasing a copy of the titanium client from ebay or trusting a dubious torrent.
    2. The official client would not set off peoples AV warnings when trying to run/install said client.

I don't care if it is free, I won't play P99 for the above reasons. I would rather pay DBG to provide similar services.
  12. rune00 Augur

13. Korillo Augur

I would love to host an unprofitable server, I bet DBG would too!
  14. fazool Augur

Way too expensive.

If they offered that for the normal monthly subscription price then yes I would and I would let them add $5-10 per month for real support.

So, my limit is $20-$25.

And....I would want some written legal guarantee that the server will stay up for 5 years. I am not going to spend that kind of extra money and time and have the system collapse.
    Artemis-Entreri and Rhiyannon like this.
  15. Draslin Journeyman

Nah, I'm not interested in playing a server that I can't box on. I routinely play two characters that anchor a group (tank and CC). If the time it takes me to spin up a group is negatively impacted by arbitrary rules, I will absolutely not pay a premium (or even a regular sub fee) to spend more time waiting and less time playing.

It seems a lot of people think that shutting down boxing will solve the core problems with the current crop of servers - namely that content is reserved for a tiny fraction of the player base, and the assumption that that tiny fraction "must" be cheating. This is not a view that is supported by evidence - all one needs to do is look at P99 to see that strict boxing policy doesn't prevent this same outcome. The only way to make content accessible is to make content accessible (read: instancing).

I would pay $50 per month for a server with instancing added for all eras, so that I, as a former hardcore player turned casual by the harsh realities of adult life, could experience nostalgic content at my own pace and not be blocked from doing so by the arbitrary whims of an executive producer who has decided that I don't deserve to see content I saw 16 years ago and have loyally returned for many many times over the years.
    rune00, bobjones1208 and Finwen like this.
  16. Dark_Intentions Augur

P99 is officially supported by Daybreak now. You should not slam them for copyright.

Also, what spyware?
  17. skattabrainz Augur

I would pay a premium, I dunno about 40. Enough guarantees of a play nice policy and gm visits every day (doesn't have to be 24-7, just an 8 hour shift everyday would be fine) and no boxes beyond apt +tab and I would be in it for 30 a month, aka double the existing price.

At 30, if they get 2000 subs (figure 1500 people, some with 2 boxes, not unreasonable at all) that's what, 45 large a month? I think that will pay for 1.5 GMs, a server and still have money left to contribute to further development.
  18. Diemond Augur

As someone pointed out, without boxers it wouldn't make enough money to support itself. Don't you realize it's boxers that have been and still keep EQ alive?
  19. Rauven Augur

I would pay that much to play on a server. Even if no other rules were put in place. For just about any MMORPG, not just EQ. I've been wanting to play on a premium server since I started playing EQ. Back then I couldn't afford it as I was working and paying my way through college. Now I can and no such server exists.

No offense to those who simply can't afford such prices, but there is a DIRECT correlation between the quality of player in a Pay to Play MMO and a Free to Play one. The quality further drops when players can 'pay' to play with ingame actions (Krono-like items), even if the sub is still required.

Not everyone that can pay such amounts are not jerks of course. But the average quality is much higher. I believe this is because players have more 'stake in the game' than F2P players. So at 40 bucks a month, your average player will probably not be a jerk as much. Simply because after 3 months they have $120 invested and don't wish to lose it. Some will but they will be smaller in number.
  20. Queena_Brokenhearts Augur

Nope, I wouldn't pay that for a new game.. why would I pay that much for nostalgia that can be easily ruined by anyone else paying that?

I would however love a server where the client verifies the pc running the game only has a single instance of the client running. I think that is more than sufficient to allow someone to box on a PC+Laptop but keep all the "ISBoxers" (Which I personally believe 95% of those are actually <Insert Illegal Program Here> Botters) off the server.