Nobody wants a "locked" server... hence expansions

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tierdal, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Tierdal Augur

Nobody wants to do the same content for eternity. That is why there are expansions in games.

Please stop asking for POP Locked (dead server), OOW locked, DON locked, Classic Locked

Nobody wants this, they think they do but they don't

Eventually everyone wants new challenges.
  2. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Wait, nobody wants a PoP server? That mac server sure did have players on it. It wasn't a high pop server, but it did have players. Please don't overgeneralize.
  3. Alikat Lorekeeper

6 months of Time raiding on Cornaiv and almost all loot is rotting and people start not showing up for raids. I have no idea how any guild is still going on Agnarr unless everyone's on their 4-5th alt.
    Tymeless likes this.
  4. Meredyth Augur

1) it was the only Mac server available
    2) Mac wasn’t known for a wide selection of games

So the fact that people played on it is not really evidence that the rule set was what brought them in
  5. Xeris Augur

Uh, Agnarr has 5 raiding guilds still, at least a few of them are still raidi g with 70.

I think A LOT of people want locked servers. I am one. If I wanted to get to lvl 100, I'd play live.
    Graethos likes this.
  6. Tierdal Augur

its crazy right? people obsessed with BIS after they have already beat the content have forgotten the entire point of gear.
    Tymeless likes this.
  7. code-zero Augur

I do recall being told that it was a point of pride to have the "best of the best" and that it was just discouraging to have new content that made all the hard work that went into getting it irrelevant. At the time I just thought it was an excuse but maybe not
  8. Imukai Augur

If they'd make one that locked right before mercs were added, that would be my forever home. Agnarr stopped too soon (not enough content) but all the others will eventually have those gods-forsaken mercenaries that ruin the game.

*goes back to yelling at kids to stay off his lawn*
  9. taliefer Augur

shrug, i think agnarr is going exactly how people predicted it would.

there was a large influx of interest, many players lost interest, but there is a relatively small and dedicated base that are keeping it going. it serves as a place people can drop in and out and come back to not being antiquated
    Fhiele and Graethos like this.
  10. yerm Augur

Imo the ideal is a locked server for every era. You can one way transfer forward but never in reverse. Wanna sit in velious? Do it. Wanna skip luclin after one vt clear and go right to pop? Go nuts. Hate god? Go ldon to oow, that's your loss.
  11. Nolrog Augur

12. Jimmy2times Elder

I would absolutely love a UF or SoD Locked Server with FV rule set. Will it happen, no probably not but one can dream. Also when you say nobody wants a locked server what about those folks on P99, its locked its successful zones are full people clearly enjoy it.
    Miss_Jackie likes this.
  13. Tierdal Augur

theres like 15 people on p99
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Bewts Augur

Multiple Era-locked servers in which you can advance from one to the next easily would be nice...

DBG can just spin up classic servers every 6 months and set an expiration date for players opt to progress forward to the next era server; after 6 months the classic server is shuttered.

This way, a guild can opt to advance forward at its own pace, you can play in an era as long as you want, and servers backfill with new entrants as guilds/players advance.

I would propose a 3-month minimum lockout between “transfers” forward at implementation simply because the mechanism would allow skipping multiple expansions at once (eliminating much of the dead server problems TLP experience).

I would also propose considering if the era locked servers can actually have new characters created or if it should only allow new entrants to originate from a TLP server. There’s challenges and benefits on this point.
  15. Warpeace Augur

To be honest I am surprised they have not made a couple of time locked servers. There seems to be enough that want that, just a matter of what expansions to lock them at I think.
  16. Jimmy2times Elder

Funny, shows 955 online right now.

There are probably 15 people sitting in the Freeport trash yard killing snakes alone right now.

But since we are just making stuff up..
    Miss_Jackie likes this.
  17. SunDrake Augur

Yeah, to assume that P99 isn't populated would just be far, far from the truth. It has a higher population of actual players than any live or TLP server, with the possible exception of Mangler. And 99.9% of those are actual single players. The .1% that is getting away with boxing will get shut down usually within a matter of weeks.
  18. code-zero Augur

You're talking through your hat. I've casually counting over 900 players using /who <class> <level range> on some medium population servers during busy times.

Mangler has thousand of players online at peak, obviously several times more than any single live except for FV but TLP totals are only 30% of the total number of EQ players. Given the number of TLP servers that's about par as far as numbers go
  19. yerm Augur

P99 is free and typically lower pop than the newest set of tlps, which require a sub.
  20. Tsar Journeyman

I mean... there were 265 people in ToV tonight but yea, your number sounds legit.

People want locked servers, Daybreak doesn't. It was pretty obvious when they released Corinav just as Agnarr hit PoP. They killed it intentionally. If they had waited for Agnarr to max out, and developed an actual stable culture in it's locked timeline it could be even more popular than P99. Unfortunately they wanted cash from xp pots.

Half the people I play with on P99 would have stayed on Agnarr if it wasn't dead, including me.