No drop value market

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Duhbeast, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Duhbeast Augur

I molo named quite a bit. I did most of EoK hunter with just the merc and I, it was fun. Throughout the journey I realized there is a market to auction off / take donations for no drop gear/augs. Basically every item I've offered in general chat has sold for fairly small amounts, from 30k up to 100k+ for augs and such. I can see the value for alts, they pay a small amount to come gear them up. What do other folks in the community think about keeping at least some value to selling loot rights? I have been given some criticism here and there, from people that give away any items for free. I don't mind if they give any loot rights away for free, but I don't see the big deal in folks paying a small amount for the effort to save the time and get some gear. So what do you guys think? Does this occur on other servers besides Cazic?
  2. Tereil Elder

It occurs on Drinal as well. I personally don't do it, but if someone is willing to pay, sure, go ahead. I just don't like if things rot that someone could use.

I do play on test now, and it rarely happens there, it seems.
  3. Visitor Augur

Some people ask for payment on No trade drops and many don't, simply because then you have to pay attention to who is claiming it. It is possible for some one to to offer to pay and you say item is claimed, and when the person gets there, they want to wait til the corpse is open and just take it. The whole concept of rot items can be a pain, and I won't complain about some one asking for nominal reward for rights. The problem is some times it appears that some one/group is monopolizing a spawn.
  4. Reht The Dude abides...

While i have never charged for looting a no-drop item, i have no problem with it.
    Sindaiann and Tatanka like this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not something I do myself but it's a personal choice. Some people do really hate the idea of it though and so you will always get some push back.
    eqgamer likes this.
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Maelin corrupted our server with this practice actually; prior to the merger Drinal didn't have this happening much if at all. Then post merger it became a common ish thing, and I remember a lot of us being surprised/annoyed.

I think it's stupid personally, especially the people that literally do it everyday to make money (there's a couple of regulars on Drinal doing it very very often, one who even advertises it as "comes with a free coth" that makes me laugh). Not saying the practice itself is totally heinous or anything, but there's a big difference between "thanks for letting me rotsave this, here's a donation" and "pay me or I'll destroy this item". The regular sellers are almost always the latter.

When we have rots will usually offer them up in general as ffa/karma points, though sometimes people's stupidity of spamming with tells, training, and/or inability to get to the corpse itself without a hand held, etc. makes us wary of the practice.
    Dre., Sindaiann, Hiladdar and 3 others like this.
  7. Bamkan Augur

You earned the loot.

You can do what you want with it.

Personally I tribute almost all my items, do I feel I am denying folks who want alt loot? No :)
    Sindaiann and Metanis like this.
  8. ShadowMan Augur

I have zero issue with it and actually get annoyed at the people who just have to chime in against it. I just fail to see the rage some people have over no drop sales. If it has a value and people want it its no different than selling something tradeable it was just flagged different by the devs to limit some aspects. The same applies task adds for faction or currency or flags. If people want to donate their time and then give stuff away then so be it but if others would like to flop their time into PP instead of tribute that they can then use for something else they might need later then so be that as well. If it has value regardless of how its obtained people have been selling it since the game started be it multi quest's, flags, exp groups, whatever. There have always been those who just help to help and those who hit the market.

Spamming something is different, it either sells or doesn't we don't need to see it every 1 to 2 minutes.
  9. fransisco Augur

I think alot of people don't bother, because you need to sit there and manage the corpse.
    Most players just want to move on
    Sindaiann and Metanis like this.
  10. GoldenFrog Augur

I don't mind the practice, but definitely should not be some in-game supported mechanism.

The issue is camps with high-value NO DROP items.

Now it's perma-camped by 1-2 people who hold/farm the camp for profit. No longer camped by those who need an item - but those who can PROFIT from the camp. It's even in their interest to Loot/Destroy those that aren't claimed to not decrease the market size.

Nope.
    Thash likes this.
  11. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I've sold no drops before, usually when a new expansion drops and the demand is high for items. Once the demand starts to fade and I don't get any tells on rots I usually start offering them up for free the rest of the expansion. As others have said if you got the item to drop it's up to you if you want to loot it, sell it, give it away for free, or just tribute it yourself. Feel free to do what you want with your drops.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

I give em away, it kinda annoys me a little when people ask for payment. But it doesn't really affect me, so I'm happy to let /general do what it does as long as it doesn't turn into a spam fest.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

I think it is an old school culture thing to give drops away, related to how people historically also liked to do acts of good to the general population, in their own name, and also giving their guild a good rep. In older days, a lot of people did not have the means to pay, so a cool item meant quite a lot, and it would leave an impression. If the looter was guilded, he would not only give thanks to the donor in /ooc, he would also do it in /gu.

It was about adherence to a culture where one would give up minor personal gain, time, and favors, to help complete strangers. This culture is very much alive today, and it is one of the true fantastic things about EQ.

To charge for nodrop is a personal choice. If I see someone charging for nodrops, I will think of them as 'not True Q', and I will probably ignore them should they ever ask for help. Not because I resent them, but because they chose to not be a part of this cultural aspect of EQ.

I have no count of how many times complete strangers have helped me in EQ, and I think it is a good thing, something to cultivate.
  14. RangerGuy Augur

I am a hybrid myself about this. I sell stuff all the time and also enjoy having the option to buy a lot of stuff others sell as I just don't have the time to do it all. But I also go out of my way to help and donate when I can or if someone needs it. Be it what little knowledge I have for a class or content. Or dropping gear and pp on someone I can tell is struggling, new or returning from a long break to help them along and maybe retain them in this great game.

It is funny to see how divided some people get on topics like this and the few in either end of the camp tend to be the most vocal. The majority tends to fall somewhere in the middle and just wants to happily play the game with options to buy, sell and donate without being grieved about it. Outside of situations like others pointed out where someone is locking a camp down just to sell or someone is constantly spamming or just interrupting zones, channels or the server.
  15. seber Augur

why sell not give to friends in guild or ooc free ??????
  16. RangerGuy Augur

If thats at me I do give to friends and guildies first usually. But when it comes down to me gearing a friends alt or guildies 2nd box I would rather raise some coin to buy stuff I might need like merc gear that won't drop or whatever than just feed their toons non stop.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Players who sell no drop items off a named with a 30 minute corpse timer are generally regarded as greedy, selfish, plat-hungry scoundrels who only care about their financial best interests.

Players who loot no drop items and use for tribute are generally regarded as helping to advance their character be the very best it can be from a micro min/max situation.

Players who offer no drop items to general/ooc/guild chats are generally regarded as kind hearted, selfless, charitable, wonderful people who care more about helping others than themselves.

There is no right/wrong answer for what to do with no drop named loot. As long as you understand the consequences and perception the majority will have towards you...
    Dre. and IblisTheMage like this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The problem with selling loot rights IMHO, is that it encourages people to camp specific nameds even after they have gotten the drops for themselves, just to monopolize that specific drop.
    How would you feel, if you were capable of getting the loot you were after, IF the camp was free. But instead you find it perma-camped, because someone wanted plat/kronos to let you get something you wanted.

Granted, I haven't experienced this conflict myself, but I could easily see it as a potential problem...

IIRC it was a problem with epic drops in the old days...
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Had some rots last night that I announced in general and was immediately reminded why it's often not worth doing just for one's sanity.

I was pretty specific in general "item_01 rotting in badger pit area of SW, ffa, first come first serve etc"

What resulted was:
    -someone immediately asking if it was still rotting, literally ~1s after I announced it, at most
    -someone asking "what zone"
    -someone offering plat to hold the item
    -someone asking where the corpse was, and if I had coth
    -someone linking me their current bp saying how huge an upgrayedd it'd be
    -two guildmates both racing each other for it and otherwise ignoring each other
    -guy got upset/angry at me bc I wasn't responding to his tells
    -guy arriving at the camp, with one named corpse there and asking "what name is it from"

I guess people are accustomed to the sellers hand holding, but in the middle of lesson while boxing, the added distraction is lame.

The other real negative is if names are popping and regularly announcing rots, I've had people that will literally set up shop and stand at the group waiting like vultures.

A lot of the time the karma points don't seem worth it.
    IblisTheMage and Kunon like this.
  20. Duhbeast Augur

That's hilarious Sheex. Thanks for testing the waters there for a current example. And thanks other folks for commenting on your opinion/experience on the topic. Keep in mind I don't spam them and we aren't talking about a lot of plat here. Just kind of throwing a bone for the time saved to get decent gear, considering group gear is closer to raid gear than ever imo. Also, I don't hold down the same camp all the time, but I've tested a few different spots, and some sell faster/for more than others.